Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of buying a kayak

So, this all started today as I decided to fish for about an hour in one of my favorite fishing holes on the way to a meeting for work. As I set there fishing off of the bank hoping I could cast just a bit further to where I knew the fish to be I decided I needed a small boat to take with me on some of the day trips that I make for work. A lot of my work is around lakes and I always thought I would pull my bass tracker behind me and fish after my meetings. When I pull up to a meeting and I tell someone I can't get to their job because i'm real busy for a couple weeks but at the same time I have a boat hitched behind the truck that doesn't look good. I've discovered I don't really want to pull that all around the drive so i've been thinking of getting a kayak to throw in the back of the truck and be able to fish an hour or two as I can find the time on these trips.
    I started by opening up the bass pro magazine and admired a couple of ascend kayaks that they had pictured there that looked like they were setup for fishing. Then I started reading as much as I can find on here and elsewhere on the internet. A quick check on craigslist turned up quite a few kayaks but only one that was specifically setup for fishing. From the research i've done so far I think I want something already setup for fishing. 6-700 dollars will be about the top end of my budget and if I could spend less that would be great.
    I found a ascend fs-10 for 350.00 with some type of anchor system on my local craigslist. So far that seems like a decent deal... wadda ya think?
    My truck is a full size short bed pickup that I would primarily use to haul it in.
    I see most kayaks are 12' long. The fs-10 I am considering is 10' long but 31" wide. I would not want a kayak that is too tipsy, but I will say that i'm not all that nervous in a boat. I like to think I have relatively good sea legs. I"m guessing the width of a kayak has more to do with the stability then the length?
    Is there a big advantage to the "sit on top" models". I think it would be nice to be able to stand up but not necessary.
    Basically I think it would be great to take a kayak with me to a meeting and quickly throw it in the water, fish for an hr or two, load up and head home. I should also say some of the lakes I would potentially fish may have ski boats, jet ski's etc... Typically the times I would be on those lakes I don't think that would be a problem with lots of those, but it could be something to consider. Is a kayak able to handle some wake?
    So do you think I should jump on the craigslist kayak, or wait and buy a new one after proper research ( I like used stuff). I know these are a lot of questions, but I feel that this could really open up more fishing time for me.

Post Thanks / Like

$350.00 kayak, used, no holes or cracks and not dry rotted. Go for it. If your really happy for a while and it does close to what you want it to, you
    did good. Take care of it and it will be worth $350.00 when you get ready to upgrade. Sit on top is a personal thing and self bailing. Sit in is a place
    you have to bail water if you get a wake over the side or it rains real hard, again a personal thing. A piece of used carpet in the bed of the truck
    will protect the kayak to some extent and I like it for that reason. One tie down will keep it in place, and you will be glad you tied it down. 31" wide
    is stable enough to take the wobble out of it. It won't be a fast kayak, but a good fishing platform. Anchor is not as important as a way to tie up
    to a tree, limb or stickup. Scupper holes are best left unplugged in my opinion. Seat is most important for comfort. Sitting on the bottom of the kayak
    can get uncomfortable after a while. Check the kayak out real good for cracks from too much sun and be especially careful about repairs that may
    have been made. Keep it simple for a while before adding anything. Carry only what you really need to fish with and lastly, pfd is number one for
    safety. Good luck. Let us know what you do, and post a picture.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback. Being in Indiana should I seriously consider a sot kayak that would theoretically keep me dry to extend the fishing season. For example right now with 58 degree water temps i'm assuming it would be to cold to try to fish out of a sink model. I'll talk to the Craigslist posting and see if that deal with the fs-10 deal comes to fruition. I suppose i could always start small and move up. Like I said I have about 700 dollars to spend at the moment. I could maybe spend a 1000 by spring. I'm wandering if a larger sink model fs-12 would keep me dryer and maybe extend my season.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer a sit-on-top for fishing. Also the one you mentioned on CL is only $100-$150 less than a new one, so I guess a lot would depend on it's condition, and if that is infact the one you wanted. I'd fight the urge to impulse buy, you'll likely regret it later. I paid $350 for my Future Beach Angler 144 (12 foot, also 31" wide) brand-new, and have been very happy with it. I don't remember how much I had in my anchor trolley system, bot it wasn't much. Heck, rigging a Kayak to fit your specific needs is part of the fun. I'd do a bit more researching before buying.

Look down a few threads to see mine, as well as how I haul it in a shortbed truck. You might however want to consider an overhead rack to keep a Kayak on, depending on the type work you do, as it would keep your bed area free for work related items. It's a different type of fishing, and takes a little getting used to, but bottom line is, it's all good.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

have read some good comments on the ascend models, but never been in one. A SINK will be warmer during cooler weather since the hull will keep some of the wind/elements off of your lower body, but will be a bit harder to enter and exit the boat due to the design. A SOT will be easier to enter/exit at launch or loading up due to the design, is a bit more fisherman friendly due to the design but you can fish from either design as its done daily.

If you plan on carrying the yak around in the truck bed almost daily, then looking used is the way to go as the yak will get some rough treatement over time but you won't have much $$ in it. You could get a nicer/better one for those day long trips when you won't be traveling on business. Make sure you test paddle whatever it is before you buy to get a feel for it.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

All good feedback so far. At the moment i'm just kind of kicking the tires on a couple of these used ones I see on CL, although i'm not 100% decided I need a kayak just right away. I found another one called a Perception Search 13 sit on top model bought new this spring for 550.00.

So just how wet do you get when paddling around in these things. Right now i'm trying to figure out which model I want. I would like to fish at this time of year with water temps in the 50's but don't want to be sitting in water the whole time. How often do you take a wake over the side of these things. I will most likely be launching from a public launch straight from the bed of my truck. I won't have to carry it too far. I won't be taking it out more then once a week at most. Most of the places I fish won't have real large wakes or a lot of boats. Especially spring and fall i'm sure the traffic would be considerably less.

How do you get in and out of one of these things when you don't necessarily want to get all wet. Do you get in up on the bank and then somehow scoot yourself in? Sorry for all of the beginner questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Tho only problem I've seen with Craigslist is that most sellers think their stuff is still worth 90% of what it cost 5 years ago, when it was new. If you have a Dunhams, Dicks, Gander Mountain in your area, stop buy just to look at what's on the shelf. That's what I did, and happen to luck onto their sale, scoring a $150 discount on mine. Be sure to also look at weight capacity vs Kayak weight. Many suggest trying out a Kayak before buying, and that's certainly not a bad idea, I just didn't have that option (no where locally).

Only water I get is from what runs down the paddle (or what drips off a fish) and drips onto my legs. When temps are high, not an issue, once I fish in cooler temps, I'll just slip into my rain gear pants. I prefer fishing the smaller waters (no gas motors), but will soon be fishing a few larger ones, I won't be venturing too far from shore. That's not only for wake reasons, but also for setting low in the water and not wanting to be used as a Dukes of Hazard ramp by someone not paying attention. I have plans to add a
    fiberglass whip bicycle flag before hitting those larger waters.

My entry/exit method varies, and probably gives anyone watching a good laugh. I'm sure I look pretty awkward due to having 2 not so good knees (one being really bad). Having only fished from mine this Summer, I just stood in shallow water, straddled the kayak, and slowly lowered myself into the seat. My plan for cooler temp is doing the same, while wearing a pair of waterproof knee boots. Having the raised seating (ala RRR's cut-down Patio Chair) makes it more comfortable for me, it would be impossible for me to get in and out of a sit-in model. I don't know if I could mount/dismount from a Dock or not, probably should have tried it when it was warm out.

I wear my PFD 100% of the time when I'm in water depth deeper than 5-6 feet.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

i looked over a year for my kayak. and i kept coming back to a sot by ocean kayak. the main reason was the weight of the kayak @ 56lbs. i can pick that up with no problems at all. and that's with lower back and bad knee problems. also think about storage were will up put your rods when you are inside working? the kayak i have has a middle hatch that i can put all my rods and gear in and not have to worrie about them getting stolen. ai too wear my pfd all the time. as for getting in and out of the kayak i use the push off method. put the kayak parallel to the bank and push off with my feet and then turn around and off i go.if you have any mariners check them out thats were i got mine from and a good price $600 you cant beat that.

Post Thanks / Like

In the summer I wear slip on sneakers to fish and don't mind getting them wet. Winter wear is rubber insulated knee boots. Either way, if you
    get mud on your footwear, just dangle 'em in the water and wash the mud off. You can't do that in a sink, only on a sot. I've had both, and
    will stick with the sot. Scupper holes let water out, not in enough to hurt anything. A little water on the floor won't hurt a thing unless you
    lay your sandwich on the floor. Wouldn't hurt to have a poll from the membership.......SOT or SINK. Somebody sit it up and tell why you prefer
    what you have. Since I've had both, you already know my preferences. What ever you choose, take your time, mind the fact your in a kayak and
    don't forget the pfd. Enjoy. I too straddle mine in shallow water to get in and out of the kayak. I'm a short legged 5'8" and don't have a problem.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tater140 View Post
    All good feedback so far. At the moment i'm just kind of kicking the tires on a couple of these used ones I see on CL, although i'm not 100% decided I need a kayak just right away. I found another one called a Perception Search 13 sit on top model bought new this spring for 550.00.

So just how wet do you get when paddling around in these things. Right now i'm trying to figure out which model I want. I would like to fish at this time of year with water temps in the 50's but don't want to be sitting in water the whole time. How often do you take a wake over the side of these things. I will most likely be launching from a public launch straight from the bed of my truck. I won't have to carry it too far. I won't be taking it out more then once a week at most. Most of the places I fish won't have real large wakes or a lot of boats. Especially spring and fall i'm sure the traffic would be considerably less.

How do you get in and out of one of these things when you don't necessarily want to get all wet. Do you get in up on the bank and then somehow scoot yourself in? Sorry for all of the beginner questions.

check out youtube, lots of videos on how to do what you're asking. Usually it's best to have the yak in the water, wade in and mount up, that's why some rubber insulated boots or maybe hip waders are popular during cooler weather. I'm trying to figure out whether boots or hip waders or what would work best for me this time of year and in the spring when the water temps are cooler.

Some yaks are "wetter" than others, which refers to how much water collects in the seat area. Read some reviews on the models that interest you and see what others are saying. SOT's have scupper holes (drains) that will allow the majority of water to drain out quickly, but will also allow some water to come in the cockpit as well. you can use scupper plugs to stop the water from coming in, but they also stop water from going out as well. I think most of the newer models of SOT's have a raised seating platform of some type which means it will be a dryer ride but the seat platform may or may not be comfy for you. You can always modify the seat like RRR did if you want, or find a manufacturer that has a seat platform that is good for you from the start like I did.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast