Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubes or Hair?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubes or Hair?

Just a poll I guess. I have always had hair jigs in my tackle box but have really never had much if any luck with them. Just wondered what the jury has to say on the pros and cons of hair. Am I doing something wrong? I have always thought confidence in your tackle is key so maybe it is just me.
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

You nailed it....confidence has a lot to do with it. Hair jigs will catch crappie, no doubt about it, but only if you have it on the business end. I on the other hand.....don't own a single tube in 100's upon 100's of plastic baits, although they have been proved to boat fish, I have no faith in them, therefore don't fish them.. I prefer baby shad style baits over anything mentioned.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I favor plastic tubes most of the time but there are cases which tied jigs shine. I really like them in current or fishing deep where they sink easier.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I use a lot of tubes and have started using hair some. I like the baby shad and bobby garlands also. I think what u will see is a lot of folks posting on what they sell or "prostaff" for on here. To each his own and everyone has there own style of fishing. What i can say is if you fish long enough then you will find that what they are caught on one day is not what they are caught on the next lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    You nailed it....confidence has a lot to do with it. Hair jigs will catch crappie, no doubt about it, but only if you have it on the business end. I on the other hand.....don't own a single tube in 100's upon 100's of plastic baits, although they have been proved to boat fish, I have no faith in them, therefore don't fish them.. I prefer baby shad style baits over anything mentioned.
    I am a newbie to fishing, but tend to have the same mindset. I did buy a few tubes, but only use 2 of them.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

i like them both they both have a place depending on time of year and pattern you are fishing
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    I think what u will see is a lot of folks posting on what they sell or "prostaff" for on here.
    Exactly. I have a few hair jigs in my box but hardly ever fish them, guess thats why I don't catch fish on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I on the other hand.....don't own a single tube in 100's upon 100's of plastic baits, although they have been proved to boat fish, I have no faith in them, therefore don't fish them.
    Same here. I prefer other plastics.

Post Thanks / Like

i would put all plastics in same category tubes curly tails minnow imitations and think some are better for vertical fishing some for casting but also i tie my own jigs hair/feather but probably favor tied jigs but think sometimes plastics are better for vertical fishing.
    to add another cog to the wheel,......i prefer hair jigs if i tip them with piece of worm or spike especially under a bobber.
    confused yet?
    Take a kid fishing start a new friendship with nature.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I do when I go fishing; I take along various types of plastics, hair and some feathered (marabou) jigs. (I absolutely love the BG Baby Shads.) If I hit on a hot bite, I'll switch to something else - maybe something I do not have much confidence in. This is why I carry a variety of hollow bodied tubes, solid body tubes, straight tails, boot tails (getting really hot up her now!) and some marabous. And this is why I've developed a reasonable degree of confidence in each style/type of crappie baits.

Now, instead of fishing just one or two confidence baits, when the bite slows, I know I can use something else that actually does work under some conditions. Thereby increasing my ability to adapt to varying situations of fish attitude and weather. Does this make sense? All I know for sure is that it works for me.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast