Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Coming to Fla.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coming to Fla.

Hello all,

My son and I are planning to go to Eustis Lake Feb. 19. I was wondering if it is a good crappie lake or are there others in the chain that is better? If it is good where is best places. This is the first time fishing in Fla. We have fished Ala. (Lake Weiss) and Tn. and KY. Thought we would this year try Fla. Ga. and Mo.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Florida Crappie [Specks]

Why did you pick Eustis? At times it can be very good. Probably not as consistent as Big Harris, Lake Dora, Big "O" or some others. Several of the lakes on the ST. JOHN'S are very good at times.
    The time of year you picked should be about right for the spawn, however it varys from year to year.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by crappie ranger
    Hello all,

My son and I are planning to go to Eustis Lake Feb. 19. I was wondering if it is a good crappie lake or are there others in the chain that is better? If it is good where is best places. This is the first time fishing in Fla. We have fished Ala. (Lake Weiss) and Tn. and KY. Thought we would this year try Fla. Ga. and Mo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joe,

My father is camping in Eustis so that is the lake I picked but should be able to go to the ones you mentioned. I will let you know how we did. Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Feb 19 little late for bedding, but still good

You are in luck, I have fished for crappies in Eustis area off and on since 1956 and know most of the favorite places. There are many crappies (local name = speckled perch or just plain specs) one is the best is off the $ million city pier near downtown. Almost every body of water in the area has nice big black crappies (no white crappies in Cen FL), just ask at Owen's bait shop or email me when you get here for the latest hot spots. Everybody fishes for crappie here in the Winter and late Spring it the best time of year for bass also. Check out this link:
    http://floridafisheries.com/updates/crap2003.html
    Well going fishing , see ya!

Post Thanks / Like

Not familiar w/ Eustis Lake but this place is a great launching site w/ Specs and bass and bream ... http://www.hpfishcamp.com/btm-tool.htm ... they have an '800' number too, so they can answer any questions you have about their location ... lots of gators to see too ...