Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about powder painting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about powder painting

I have been powderpainting for about 4 years now and most jigs turnout ok. My question is what temps do you bake small 1/32 or smaller and not get running paint or melted lead? I have a fluid bed and always follow directions. I use protec paint or T.J.s tackle paint and even have net craft paint too.
    I have been doing a 3 layer paint I like on ice jigs. Primary color then a white on half then a glow on bottom. Is it too much paint? Also I notice when I lower the temp and bake longer it doesn't get as hard and chips when I drag them on rocks.
    Anything would help. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same as you. I bake mine at 375 for 20 min.

Post Thanks / Like

I do 350 for 15 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you add a few minutes for warm up time?

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I bake all my jigs at 350 for 20 minutes. Most of the time I have some smaller jigs 1/64 all the way up to 1/4 oz in the oven curing at the same time.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

x2 here also

Post Thanks / Like

What's a warm up time? I just set my oven, sometimes low like 275 for small jigs and when it is at temp I put them in. I tried 350 for tiny ones and sometimes it melts the lead and all. Most times I get paint dripping. But at the lower temp (275) it doesn't do that but it's not as hard. Some of these ice jigs are 1/80-1/100

Post Thanks / Like

If your getting paint drippings you maybe warming your jigs up to hot before dipping them, into the paint. Which is allowing to much paint to be on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

I paint 1/100-1/80-1/64 all the time. I use a heat gun to warm my heads. Allowing the small one a sec or 2 in the heat before dipping into the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using the fluid bed to put the two extra colors on??? If you are you may be getting to heavy a coat. Try brush tapping the powder on and see if it gives you a better coat.

When I cure if I have any jigs that have glitter in them I'll cure for 20-25 mins at 325 degrees. This includes jigs down to 1/32nd and I don't get any chips.

No matter what oven your using to cure them get a small in-oven thermometer and check the actual temp!!!! I've seen on other boards where temps are 15-20 degrees higher than what they were set at.

I know powder paint gives a good hard paint job, but if you're bouncing them on rocks they will chip after a while, they aren't indestructable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast