Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good boat cover?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good boat cover?

My boat cover is beginning to tear to pieces and needs to be replaced. Are there any brands you recommend buying or staying away from?
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Ratchet-tite boat covers. I took the standard type of straps off and put rubber straps with a hook on each end. I drilled a hole through the trailer frame and installed an I-bolt on the trailer and then hooked the strap on the I-bolt. It is quicker and easier for others to help put the cover on. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using one from bass pro shops now for three years and it is still holding up pretty good. It wasnt the expensive one either. My boat sets out in the weather all the time.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My limited experience ...

My boat has an Attwood Boaters Best cover, which has been used for around 3yrs & is still in pretty good shape ... even though it's been outside, in the weather, for the last two years. The previous owner kept the boat covered AND garaged (home &/or storage unit) for the year he owned it. My boat stays covered & outside for around 8-9 months of the year, with the remaining months being in a storage shelter & the cover kept in the house.
    It's water "resistant", not water "proof" ... but, I've recently sprayed it down with CampDry, and am waiting to see if this treatment has any effect. It has three cross seam 1" poly webbing straps ... and the center one (the one with the least tension on it) has a section of the poly webbing coming unraveled, but the sewed seams are still intact & holding strong. Neither of the other two (front/back) webbing straps are showing any sign of deterioration or wear.

This is the only "fitted cover" I've ever had, as my previous boats were either left uncovered or had a plastic tarp draped over them. But, the tarps usually only lasted for about 1yr, before deteriorating to the point of having to be replaced.

The motor cover is separate from the boat cover. The 'black patch' was added by the previous owner, after trailering the boat & having the back seat turned backwards ... ripping a V shaped tear in the cover, due to the metal seat hinge corner rubbing through while underway.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

find a good shop that makes boat covers

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered mine from Cabella's. Funny thing was they had the exact model for my 2000 Bass Tracker but BPS did not list one for that boat. It is made by AttWood and looks similar to the one above. I've had it for 2 years now and it is still in good shape.
    Threre is a company in my state that custom makes covers and tops. You can choose from several materials, including Sunbrella. The made a cover for my previous boat and a bimini top for this one. They are good to work with and their workmanship is outstanding. Boat Covers & Bimini Boat Tops Custom Fit for your Boat or Pontoon

Just FYI, I made a ridge pole out of PVC to hold my cover up so rain or snow would not build up and tear it. Works really good. I just slip the PVC over the front and rear pedestals and pull the cover over it and snug it down. I do not tow it with the cover on. I've torn up too many to try that again.

SeaRay
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, your tigers kicked our butt Saturday. Hope we can rebound against Florida. Got some injuries and several players with the flu. Be glad when these 3 games are behind us.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Nice ridge pole. I did make a less attractive one for the front of boat, but not for the back yet. The Gamecocks have a great team, I am surprised we pulled it off with our injuries, suspensions and lack of productive offense. It was a great game though and the best that our offensive line has played all year. I believe you will be alright against Florida, we just couldn't keep our defense off of the field for that game.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered from Cabella's as well for my Tracker. Has held up well even with the torrential rain we have had - stay's dry and meldew free. I like the ridge pole SeaRay has.

Searay - doesn't that PVC sag some? And, does the PVC slide over the seat pedestals, or is there some sort of pin assy?

Thanks.
    Randy Andres

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's called a garage. I never really liked boat covers. Pain putting on and off almost daily . Besides things falling on them and potential leaks.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast