Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think jig colors REALLY matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you think jig colors REALLY matter?

When I joined CDC and Monty was kind enough to take me out on Truman, it was one of the first times I jig fished. Monty told me the color of choice was orange head and blue/white jig body. That combo produced good fish for me. The last couple of years fishing with Bwillaub, it seems orange head and black/chartreuse jig body is the best. I have tried different color jig heads but always come back to orange. Is it really the color or right place/right time?. In addition, when reading folks reports, sometimes it is stated that the crappies were full of shad; why wouldn't a jig body in the 3-31/2 inch range work better than the standard 2-21/2 inch body? Your thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

I will say this Jack the two colors you mentioned are my go to colors , except I use a chartruse head more than orange. In the summer I like a bigger jig when dipping trees I dont catch as many but I do catch better fish!
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Jig color seems to me to make a difference, I go with the color of the water, stained and mildly stained as the upper ends usually are I like dark colors, blk/pink,blk/chartuse and yellow/black, then if it is a little clearer I go with the white/chart and blue/white and silver/chartuse.... haven't even used blue/white this year, been using dark colors all year....... but that is this year......
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Yep.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

About 90% of the time YES!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No.....Yes....Maybe.......Heck no one really knows. It matters to the fisherman more than the fish. If you have confidence it will work.

I do think Monty's comment holds some truth...darker in dark water and lighter colors in clear water but that's just due to visibility. Did i just agree with Monty????? What the heck is wrong with me. Jack?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    No.....Yes....Maybe.......Heck no one really knows. It matters to the fisherman more than the fish. If you have confidence it will work.

I do think Monty's comment holds some truth...darker in dark water and lighter colors in clear water but that's just due to visibility. Did i just agree with Monty????? What the heck is wrong with me. Jack?
    Not a thing. Never hurts to listen to folks who know what they are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as jig head color, I use orange about 90% of the time, caught at least one limit this year on just the jig head only, no body, but they were hitting pretty good that day and I had two ugly bast%^& in the front of the boat scaring them back to me........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Orange head my go to color on jig, anything with chartruse on body, and always listen to your elders, they may not know what they talk about, but it's just polite to listen.

Post Thanks / Like

years ago on stockron,grand,broken bow lakes white was the color. last few years at stockton and grand orange has been the color. at the rock granny green works good.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast