Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod length

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod length

For mainly fishing around cover in the Big Sandy (Ky Lake) area in 8-15 feet depths. Would you be better off to locate cover,then mark it and back off and cast to it or fish straight down in it? If fishing straight down what length rod would be best?.....Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Rod length doesn't matter much tight-lining, it's more of an action thing. With this in mind, if they'll let you sit on them till they surrender, GO FOR IT. If they're spooky, pitch or swing them and then I love my 7's. If it's pole timber or along a riverbank, then the 10' or 12' will be my weapon of choice. I also like the long rods for using a deep float.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

10ft is what I use. 100% of the time

Post Thanks / Like

8 ft depths you need at least 12's fishing vertically, if you're pitching or casting doesn't matter, 7's are good
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kingkrappie View Post
    8 ft depths you need at least 12's fishing vertically, if you're pitching or casting doesn't matter, 7's are good
    I agree, pole length does matter when vertical jigging, especially in clear water and especially if you are going to be sitting on them for an extended time period, You need to be as far away from the fish as you can get. If you are using minnows, cast with a slip bobber. Less chance of spooking the fish.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)