Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling speed question - help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling speed question - help please

I fish from a Champion 186 with a 150 yamaha and a minn kota maxxium 80. I have read a lot about trolling speed while longlieing. Is a setting on 1 or 2 too fast or too slow for this technique? thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Speeds vary on conditions and depth of fish. A variable speed is much better as your speed on one may be too fast at times.

Post Thanks / Like

We usually troll between .06 and 1.1 MPH You must have a GPS to know your speed. Without knowing your speed you can not control the depth of your bait. A variable speed motor is a must for the serious troller. There are several other factors to consider also, but a GPS is your first step in the right direction. Good Luck. If you have an qusetions pm me.

Post Thanks / Like

x2 what earl said!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pro Staff:
    Excel Boat (Meatgetter Edition)
    Crappieholic Apparel
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Ozark Rods

Please support these great companies!

Post Thanks / Like

The Maxxum trolling motor is a variable speed TM. You MUST get a GPS unit to know the speed you're going. It's a critical factor in controlling your bait.

Big River Marine
    Bill Burnett
    870-635-0202

We offer Xpress, Excel, and Alweld Boats. Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, Mud Buddy, and Tohatsu/Nissan Engines.
    Pro Staff, Southern Pro Tackle and Ozark Rods.
    Member, Tri-State Crappie Anglers
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my GPS and stay between .8 and 1.2 MPH, but if you are pushing a double minnow rig or spider rigging it's a bit slower I think, but I just long line. I do plan on trying to push some jigs and maybe some minnows soon too just to learn more about that. Since that is kind of fishing straight down unlike long lining I am pretty sure it's a good bit slower and with more weight, like 3/8 to 1/2 oz.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I use my GPS and stay between .8 and 1.2 MPH, but if you are pushing a double minnow rig or spider rigging it's a bit slower I think, but I just long line. I do plan on trying to push some jigs and maybe some minnows soon too just to learn more about that. Since that is kind of fishing straight down unlike long lining I am pretty sure it's a good bit slower and with more weight, like 3/8 to 1/2 oz.
    I spider rig and use the 3/8oz and 1/2oz weights depeding on the depths i'm fishing. When the lake gets close to winter pool I like spider rigging over the channel breaks with minnows. There are days that it seems the crappie are just waiting for that minnow to change diredtion and with that thought in mind, next time out zig zag up the lake and see if it makes a difference.
    Everything is possible. The impossible just takes longer!

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip to try! I know in my long lining sometimes it just takes a simple change to get bit. One thing I do is every once in a while I will just move my rox back a few feet whichakes the jig hesitate just a tiny bit and the resume! Many times thistles them strike! Changes I think make that extra difference to put a few more fish in the boat!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

When spider rigging, I push 6 rods out the front using 2 oz sinkers on the end of the line and jigs or hooks w/minnows 18 inches up. Using my I-pilot, I set my cruise control on .4 MPH normally. If the fish are biting good, I'll kick it to .6 to cover more water. I'll have my rods set at varying depths till I start seeing a depth pattern.