Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why should we mentor our youth?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why should we mentor our youth?

(Perhaps this could be a stickie)

Jesus loves the fisherman. In Matthew 4:19 he told a group of fisherman “And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” There is just something about a fisherman. There is something special about a person who fishes for crappie.

There is nothing like having the family all together. We have all heard talk about the "generation gap" and there has probably never been a larger gap than there is today. Think about how everything has changed from the time when many of us were young. The music has changed. We have gone from the "The Temptations and Smokey Robinson” to "Gangsta Rap." Dress has changed. When I was a boy we used to patch holes in blue jeans. Kids now want to cut holes out of blue jeans. They want to “droop” their pants. Fashion has changed. Women are not the only gender who are wearing earrings. Now everything is pierced from the nose, the tongue, the lip, to the belly button. Let's face it. We have teenagers who are out of control, and kids in elementary school who are already committing violence without feeling anything in their consciences. F.A.M.I.L.Y. = Father And Mother I Love You. Regardless of who we are today, or what status we might have achieved in life, it is because we are standing on the shoulders of our family. It is their blood, their sweat, their prayers and their tears who have birthed us.

God wants us to know there are no perfect parents. It doesn't take anything but the physical equipment to be a parent, but it takes a hard work and commitment to be a Christian parent. Some of you had an easy childhood. Some of you had a very difficult childhood. Tragically, some parents have been impersonal and uncaring. They will never intervene on the child's behalf. Some are pushy and inconsiderate. Some are a drill sergeant, demanding more and more and never showing approval of the child. Some parents are an authoritative figure in life that can never be pleased. There are some children whose parents have made such a travesty of their role that their children feel don't want to have anything to do with them. They know they have done a sorry job. Look at its effect on the family. There is no emotional and physical relationship with the family. There is a lack of guidance, no time with the children, no striving to keep the family together. This results in anger, frustration and ultimately depression. The best way to be a good parent is to lead by example. Do the best you can and our loving Heavenly Father will aid in the rest. I want to let you know that someone’s parent is patient, and long suffering. I want to let you know that someone’s parent is kind and gracious. I want to let you know that someone’s parent is seen as supportive.

That parent is probably the parent who is taking the time to introduce their child to crappie fishing. We all should take the time to reach and teach our youth about fishing before it is too late. They are all eager to learn. Don't make it boring but just reach out to them and show them a few knots and lures to help them catch some fish. They seem very interested with whatever you were showing them. The father who crappie fishes will most likely be one who starts a new Outdoor Fellowship Ministry at their church. They know you can never sell young individuals short. You may be teaching them something, but if you hang out with them long enough, you will find that they are intelligent, and if you listen, you will learn something, too. Parents are to teach their children the fear of the Lord. What better time to talk with the youth about the Lord than while you are spending time bonding with them on the water. Scripture tells us in proverbs 22:6 “ Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Obey your parents, especially in those things which relate to the Lord. Don’t impatient with them. "Bring them up well, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” Give them a good education. Let them have a religious education. Romans 10: 17 tells us “ so then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God .”

It's adults, it’s crappie fishermen, who volunteer their time to teach or mentor kids, that will keep the kids you influence from becoming the kind of "bad news" that we hear on the news all the time. It is crappie fishermen who provide the teaching and guidance in life and fishing to the next generation. Everybody has a hero or a mentor they look up to when it comes to fishing. Parents, and fishers of men, can help get someone started by taking the whole family fishing a few times a year. A crappie fisherman never give up on catching a fish and never gives up on life and lives it to the fullest. John 10:10 reminds us in the words of Jesus “I have come that you may have life, and have it more abundantly.” We are reminded by Him that life is an ongoing process. The new life of the gospel is not something that will happen to us at the end of our earthly lives; rather it must happen daily, if it is to happen at all. God is to be found wherever we search for Him and that includes while we are out on the water, marveling at the Grace, Mercy and Wonders of God while waiting for a crappie to bite.

Crappie fishermen are very competitive when it comes to being one on one with the fish. At the end of the day though, they are just happy that they are blessed enough to enjoy God's great creation. Philippians 4:7-8 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

One of the things we humans learn to do early in life is to make excuses. Usually we make an excuse to avoid "work" or "responsibilities.” How many of us make excuses for not taking a child fishing? When God calls, all that is left to do is respond in obedience and fulfill that responsibility! When God calls us to duty He stays on our case until we obey! When the ordinary things of life are surrendered to the purposes of God, He can use them in extraordinary ways. The key to our involvement is obedience.

Pound for pound, crappies fight harder than just about anything else. On an ultra-light setup, you actually have to play the fish in order to land it and not get broken off. It's a blast with the right equipment. It's fun and they taste great.

Here are my own personal favorite rigs. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/kids-...fishermen.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...beginners.html

This person always took the time to answer all of my emails and inspire me. He is a great teacher and an even better Christian and human being. He is AL LINDER, tv host of Linder's Fishing Edge.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Very well said
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That was great Ship. Hopefully everyone on the board will take the time to read this. Very inspirational.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    That was great Ship. Hopefully everyone on the board will take the time to read this. Very inspirational.
    Thank you my friend. be blessed.

Mile
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Ship. You hit the nail on the head with "lead by example". Often people want to say "do as I say, not as I do", but that tends to only lead that person to saying the same as they become leaders. We must also remember; to be a great leader or mentor, you must be a leader or mentor that others want to follow.
    It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.
    –Ann Landers

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  sept . fishing trip 015.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  66.3 KB

taking my grand daughter this weekin .was taking my grand son but it is deer season .she will help me clean the fish .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

I lost my mentor, my dad, last year. He introduced me to fishing and gave me that wonderful gift. The best I ever got from him. He landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. He drove a LST and dropped guys off. The horrors he saw that day must have been insermountable. That is what lead him to his heavy drinking I believe. But a long story short. Even battling his demons, whenever we fished it all seemed to disappear. That sparkle in his eye when we were getting ready all day till we came home never left. That is exactly why I will take a kid fishing anytime. To see that same sparkle and wonder that God has given us. Like someone has said in the past, "It's not the destination of a journey, it's about the journey itself." I hold myself to higher standards than our government does when it comes to fishing. I use the rules and regulations as a guideline to what I really should be doing to preserve the fisheries so that youth can experience the same great wonder and awe that I did as a kid. I guess when it comes to fishing I never grew up.......And I never will.

Post Thanks / Like

You too can teach the next generation. Even if you dont have kids. Go volunter at your local Girls Club, Boys Club, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, or other youth organization.

Nothing more rewarding than seeing them learn. Except maybe a few heartfelt tears from their mom thanking you for taking time out of your life to be a male mentor to her child.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ship good post. God want all man to be fisher of men how ever you can.
    All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina