Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Acton report 6/24/06

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Acton report 6/24/06

Hit the water this morning around 8:30 and started fishing around nine and quit at 1:00.. Water temp 74 degrees; the usual murky green.

We headed south of the island to the drop off along the west bank across from the lodge - our normal starting spot. Total catch for the day was 11 saugeye, 4 channe lcat and 3 crappie. Most of the saugeyes were small, ranging from hammer handles to twelve inches. I caught one keeper of14 inches and lost another that size as I swung it aboard. One cat was a nice keeper size as were two of the crappie.

Effective baits were a green/chart Culprit with an orange tassle tail tipped with a minnow; nightcrawler deadlined; and a plain minnow on an aberdeen, cast and retrieved, of all things. Saugeyes were caught with all of these methods.

The largest crappie was a female with old eggs left in her. The other one we kept was a male still showing spawning pigmentation. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

bluegill1 Guest

Roberta, You mention a island at Acton lake? Was this a mistype or just the wrong name on the lake your talking about? The only island I know of is the one at Cowan. Enjoy all your posts!!! I do lots of Crappie fishing at Cowan and Acton, but they can keep CC to much traffic! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Default Island at Acton info... 7/1

When you pass the sugar camp pier, the island is sort of back to
    the right. It sort of blends in with the rest of the scenery there. Just
    work the bank, and the dropoffs on the side opposite the lake from
    the lodge, and you should do ok!
    Rick
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sure is an island

It's just not usually shown on the lake maps that get printed. This time of year, it's a good place to work carefully for bass with fairly heavy gear because the weed bed extends out a good fifty feet into about ten feet of water. It's only about three feet deep between the island and bank, so it's better suited for canoes, kayaks and float tubes.

Nice seein' ya yesterday, Rick . We quit shortly affter you left. It was slow yesterday, but the tally was 6 saugeye (1 keeper), 4 channe lcat, 2 crappie and 1 bluegill. Most were caught on a low-tech approach of throwing a minnow on a snelled hook with beads and a blade. We're hoping the storms hold off until late Tuesday so we can get out on Rush Run. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern