Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor to fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor to fast.

So I picked up the new boat this weekend and went down to a local lake to do some crappie fishing. I do not have the T bars in yet for spider rigging but I was playing around just trolling close to the boat.

I have a 75# thrust motor guide and even on the lowest setting of 1 it seems like this trolling motor will go to fast for spider rigging. How or what do you all do to do spider rigging with these trolling motors?

Post Thanks / Like

Driftsocks, buckets or chains

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having the same trouble with my motorguide tm, when it's on the #1 speed it's too fast and makes the "glide" speed when fishing standing timber a problem...this is on a 2011 18ft. basscat so I don't think it was wired up wrong.......any suggestions???
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

That's the problem with a 5 speed TM, get a variable speed, or drag socks or chains.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Variable speed is the way to go. If you can't go that way then just bump the motor for a second and let off.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Get variable speed and go Minn kota! Preferably I-pilot. It has autopilot and cruise control for speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Cann't a 1 2 3 4 5 dail be changed over to a V. Speed dail just by replacing the dails?(control nob)

Post Thanks / Like

I'd check on craigslist.com for a variable speed motor and then sell yours on the same site. Once you use a variable model, you'll never go back to the numerated speeds again.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing what a variable speed will do. Much better than the set 1-5 speed

Sent from a Droid.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went thru the same decision you are facing now. After talking to everyone I could find that knew anything about modifying the existing motor I bought my second power drive TM and don't regret the investment. I doubt you will either. As good as that motor sounds to be you can offset the cost of the new one some. Minn Kota has the best for what we do, I bought a PD-V2 with the auto pilot, and can add the I-pilot later but I'm pleased with what it does just fine. Low on the fob remote is pretty slow, but just barely turning up the rheostat to get the blade moving is below crawl speed. When searching a bank I can turn it on constant and thoroughly cast the shoreline with only an occasional bump to correct direction from the wind. Mine is a 70lb riptide. Good luck with your choice.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around