Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crippled!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Crippled!!

My boat's crippled! Carried 'er to the landing this morning as any other fishing day and backed her in the water. Crawled aboard to fire 'er up and nothing more than the starter spinning turning 'er over. After checking to make sure the kill switch was still intact I paddled back and loaded up and headed back home. I changed out the plugs. They are getting plenty of gas but absolutely NO FIRE! Sounds like the power pac to me buy barely got 'er to the shop before the guy closed. Looks like next Wednesday getting the ole boat back. So much for fishing this weekend. Oh well, crap happens.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's any comfort, you ain't alone. I recently bought a used pontoon and the engine had no spark. 300 bucks later it's running, I heard it. Off to the lake and it wouldn't start. Grrrr... My fault fuel line came loose 25 bucks and it run. Next time out it wouldn't start, flooded, finally started. I get brave and take the family out, starts fine, runs good. Comes a storm so I'm gonna beat it, head back and about a thousand yards short of the landing it craps out. This time it's the power pak, first time it's the stator. I'm getting gun shy. Come on over and you're welcome to fish with me. IF YOU'RE FEELING LUCKY. hehehe Ferdi

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear that! I wanted to go today myself, but I had to work. If I were going to Russell tonight I would say join me, but I'm not going to be able to. Hopefully you'll get you boat back this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine died too!!! Couple miles from the landing the old 20hp started rattleing and looseing power... Then it cut off. Tried to restart and it was real tight, havent heard it again. Started trolling back to landing not seeing anouther boat until we got within 1/4 mile . DNR. He offered a tow but we had enough batt to get back. Got it home and started checking it out. I expected piston or a bearing prob but found a damaged key splining the flywheel to the crank. The flywheel was rotating the wrong way on the crank. Cant have a new key till thursday, I sure hope thats all thats wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry guys nothing worst than boat promblems im always riding on a prayer
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Scamper, had that happen to an 18hp Evinrude and was told the flywheel wasn't torqued properly (to loose) and when it backfires it shears the key. Checked the torque and sure enough it was not tight enough again. Get the torque specs and try it. Ferdi don't forget to get the carb adjusted to correct the backfire to. hehehe

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sccamper
    Mine died too!!! Couple miles from the landing the old 20hp started rattleing and looseing power... Then it cut off. Tried to restart and it was real tight, havent heard it again. Started trolling back to landing not seeing anouther boat until we got within 1/4 mile . DNR. He offered a tow but we had enough batt to get back. Got it home and started checking it out. I expected piston or a bearing prob but found a damaged key splining the flywheel to the crank. The flywheel was rotating the wrong way on the crank. Cant have a new key till thursday, I sure hope thats all thats wrong.
    sccamper, I hope that will fix your problem. If not, it could get nasty. Mine will probably be fixed by Wednesday (hoping). We both NEED to hurry up and get back in the creeks soon if'n we're gonna help do our part in "Crappie Control" on our end of the lake. :D

Good luck on your motor.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my rig from a coworker after it sank, tied up to a covered dock during a summer storm. I cleaned out all the sand, water ect. from the motor and changed the fluids, plugs and points. The first trip out, 200yrds from the landing it hickuped and snapped the crank. I got a parted out 18hp and changed the crank. I got the torque specs from the dealer and he told me a couple things that could cause my prob. I know it had been torque properly but hadnt checked it since its been running again. Thats been 3 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

I didnt know what was wrong until got it home and started looking. We spent over an hour trolling back to the landing, the entire time im upset thinking it was something major; sweeled piston, destroyed cyl. walls or something. My daughter was trying to cheer me up, "Well atleast I caught more than you again, it will be awhile before you can catch up".

Post Thanks / Like

How far did she have to swim before you let her back in the boat? hehehe Ferdi Good luck getting things going right.