Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anchors

Post Thanks / Like

Question Anchors

Ok guys and gals I have a question...When you get your anchor hung and you can't just pull it up...How do you get it to come loose?

Post Thanks / Like

First I try bouncing it up and down to loosen it a little if I can. Then I troll one way for several feet and try to drag it out, then back the other way. Keep trying this in several directions, but always go straight back across to the center before changing because you surely dont wanna wrap the rope. This has worked for me many times but it might have just been alot of luck. Its not a proven method, but I have been lucky.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tie the rope of the anchor to the hook on the back of the boat and pull 'em up in the opposite direction of the way they hung. I've had to pull up my chene anchors a couple times this way. Just be sure to tie off to the ski rope hook and not just a cleat on the boat.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Call Fatboy!!!He is an anker-yanker...haha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

The trolling motor method has always worked for me, (so far). I just back the trolling motor away from the place that it is hung. This method also work on some hook/line snags but not always.

Post Thanks / Like

pictured below is a photo of what i call my anchor snatcher. i use the chene anchors to and like gabowman said, pull it in the opposite direction it was hung with the motor. tie a overhand knot in the anchor rope and clip it to the snatcher and you are in business. dont tie it to nothing in your boat you aint prepared to loose or ruin. we hung one the other night and it took several strong pulls with the 90 before it turned loose. i dint look at it when i got it in, droppin it in its bucket. the next time we went out it was bent out of shape so bad it wouldnt hang. them things are tough to bend and we was in a boat with no vise or sledge and we liked to never got it bent back in shape good enough to hang. ive hung em over the years so bad id think either my transom was gonna give or the rope break, but so far we havent damaged nothing or lost an anchor. weve hung a couple unnerwater cables in the past thats been a real bugger to get loose from. you jerk, pull, cuss and raise sand, and someone else will take the rope, jiggle it a little and its free. if you got a woman or kid in the boat give em the rope and let em jiggle it.. theyll free it up for you in a jiffy. once you get it unstuck youll probably have a tough time gettin the overhand knot out of the anchor rope. pliars and vice grips will do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default anchor choices

If your going to fish rocks and timber, you will lose anchors.I have teried all the above methods. My solution, cinder blocks, the smaller thin ones, the cost less than a buck, if hung try your best to get it back, and then cut it off. But first make sure you are able to sink the remaining anchor rope, why cause someone else grief.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski
    If your going to fish rocks and timber, you will lose anchors.I have teried all the above methods. My solution, cinder blocks, the smaller thin ones, the cost less than a buck, if hung try your best to get it back, and then cut it off. But first make sure you are able to sink the remaining anchor rope, why cause someone else grief.
    cinder blocks wont work for the kind of anchor set we use for nightstalking. weve been lucky i guess. ive never lost an anchor cause of a hang. i have got em back bent all out of shape, nothing a sledge wouldnt cure tho. weve fished em in just about everykind of bottom imaginable, rocks, timber, sand mud and muck and so far the only anchor ive lost was one dropped over the side by mistake. i use a 3/8 in nylon rope and im suprised that with all the pressure ive put on em pulling anchors loose they havent broken, but so far everything has held up..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...