Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylorsville lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taylorsville lake

Fished Taylorsville lake friday. Surface temp was hovering around 55, water was stained with roughly 1 1/2 feet of visibility. Caught lots of fish around 9 ft deep over 20 feet of water on minnows. Most were small but a couple were pushing 13 in. Looking back on it we might have caught more size if we went a little deeper. Anyone else been on T-ville recently??

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey Greenfish ...

Taylorsville is my "home" Crappie lake ... but I haven't been able to fish it much this year. Seems every time I could go ... it was flooded, or recovering from having been flooded.
    Normally in Nov. I would be fishing the deep water standing trees (esp large Cedar hulks) at about 6-8ft deep, with minnows. Used to get some pretty good fish doing that. Don't fish much with minnows, anymore ... but can still count on getting some on tube jigs, especially on the larger blowdown trees that stick out into deep water (>15ft).
    They seem to be getting some size to them, over the past few years ... and I've heard of some 2lb fish coming from there. Several years ago I caught a 15fish limit that weighed 10lbs (average 3/4lb per fish) ... and that's the best I've done there, so far. I'm just hoping that the messed up spawns of the last few years doesn't come back to haunt us in the next couple of years. But .... there's always Cedar Creek, if Taylorsville starts to wane in production. Those Black Crappie at Cedar Creek are due to be well over the 9in size limit by next year ... and they've got a whole lot less lake to hide in ..LOL!! .................luck2ya ..........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Taylorsville is my "home" Crappie lake ... but I haven't been able to fish it much this year. Seems every time I could go ... it was flooded, or recovering from having been flooded.
    Normally in Nov. I would be fishing the deep water standing trees (esp large Cedar hulks) at about 6-8ft deep, with minnows. Used to get some pretty good fish doing that. Don't fish much with minnows, anymore ... but can still count on getting some on tube jigs, especially on the larger blowdown trees that stick out into deep water (>15ft).
    They seem to be getting some size to them, over the past few years ... and I've heard of some 2lb fish coming from there. Several years ago I caught a 15fish limit that weighed 10lbs (average 3/4lb per fish) ... and that's the best I've done there, so far. I'm just hoping that the messed up spawns of the last few years doesn't come back to haunt us in the next couple of years. But .... there's always Cedar Creek, if Taylorsville starts to wane in production. Those Black Crappie at Cedar Creek are due to be well over the 9in size limit by next year ... and they've got a whole lot less lake to hide in ..LOL!! .................luck2ya ..........cp
    A 10 lb stringer is good one at Tville. I got talking to a game warden over there this past spring and he said he saw a guy weigh a 3.5 lber at the marina the day before I talked to him, it was around 19 in long. That's a monster. I was checking out Cedar Creek myself but didn't see any reason to fish it until the crappie were at least keeper sized...lol!! Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted on the luck, or lack of, that I'm having. Going to Cumberland for stripers friday, wish me luck.
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

Question Taylorville Lake

Hey Crappiepappy, My parents just bought a place in Shelbyville, KY and I'm looking for a good crappie lake that is near by. Can you tell me how to get some info on Taylorville Lake?

Sincerely,
    Mike

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Mike ....

here's some Taylorsville Lake info - http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/tay/default.htm

Take special note that this lake floods several times a year (see "lake levels" link for current water level - then click on the "todays pool feet" number to bring up a elevation chart, that shows the rise & fall of the lake over the past year). Crappie fishing is usually pretty good when the water is at pool and stable for a while. Don't expect Slabs ... but, there are some good eating sized fish in there. And don't be surprised to catch some good sized Channel Cats, Hybrid Stripers, White Bass, and the occasional Largemouth - while chunking a jig at the standing trees or laydowns, or fishing with minnows !!
    The lake is heavily fished - lots of Bass tourneys throughout the week/weekend - the occasional Crappie tourney - plus the regular angling pressure. The lake also has heavy traffic of boat riders, skiers, and PWC's during the warm weather days (esp on weekends). ..... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Thanks Crappiepappy

I appreciate the input. Sounds like a busy lake when it warms up. Is anyone catching crappie now at Taylorsville? I'm planning on being in there May 14-15th.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cedar Creek

Is Cedar Creek that new lake near Stanford?
    Is there a limit on size of
    crappie?
    Joe

QUOTE=crappiepappy]Taylorsville is my "home" Crappie lake ... but I haven't been able to fish it much this year. Seems every time I could go ... it was flooded, or recovering from having been flooded.
    They seem to be getting some size to them, over the past few years ... and I've heard of some 2lb fish coming from there. Several years ago I caught a 15fish limit that weighed 10lbs (average 3/4lb per fish) ... and that's the best I've done there, so far. I'm just hoping that the messed up spawns of the last few years doesn't come back to haunt us in the next couple of years. But .... there's always Cedar Creek, if Taylorsville starts to wane in production. Those Black Crappie at Cedar Creek are due to be well over the 9in size limit by next year ... and they've got a whole lot less lake to hide in ..LOL!! .................luck2ya ..........cp [/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey Joe ....

Yes - Cedar Creek is between Stanford and Crab Orchard on US Hwy150. US150 runs over the dam of Cedar Creek - about 3-4mi from Crab Orchard.

There's a 9" size limit and a 15/day creel limit on Crappie. The lake was stocked with Black Crappie.
    It was produced with Trophy Bass Fishing in mind, and to bring revenue to the Lincoln County area.
    There are also Channel Catfish, Bluegill, & Redear Sunfish (Shellcracker) in the lake. Channel Catfish have a 12" size limit & 4/day creel. There's no size limit on the Bluegill or Shellcracker, but a 30/day creel limit. No Shad are allowed as bait (or in your possession) ... but, they are present in the lake. Bass size limits are 20" length limit & 1/day creel ... though, because it's being managed for trophy sized fish, most Bass are returned to the lake.

Check out this KDFWR link - http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/cedarla...vPath=C101C293 - but, bare in mind that the size/creel limits I've mentioned are the "latest" in effect (2005).

Also be aware of the new designation of Redear Sunfish (Shellcracker) as a "Sport Fish" - this designation means that the Redear can no longer be caught and used as "bait".

..........luck2ya .....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taylorsville Crappie 5-14-05

We fished Taylorsville Lake today in the rain. Caught about 8" crappie in shallow water with minnows!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Hey Mike ......

I see you've discovered the Taylorsville Slabs ...LOL!!
    But, seriously - there are some nice sized ones in there ... I just don't think they're up against the bank, right now. They should be around the 6-8ft depths, in the early AM hours (daylight-9AM), over the blowdowns and around standing timber (in at least 12ft of water). As the day progresses, or rather as the shaded banks shrink, you'll have to drop down to the 12-15ft depths (in 15-25ft of water).
    This is the 3rd or 4th year in a row, that the spawn has been seriously affected or hampered by weather or water conditions. But, seeing that little guy gives me hope that some portion of a spawn has taken place a few years back.
    Hope you get to go back there, soon ... and get into some eating sized ones. If you do, please do report what you do and the conditions of the lake - here on this board. Looking forward to hearing about your next trip ...... luck2ya ........cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast