Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birds and Beans

Post Thanks / Like

Default Birds and Beans

I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

i bet he wishes there was a stronger wind to keep the dust blown away. i've seen it so bad i'd have to stop the combine and wait till it cleared some then go again.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Olduckhunter,
    Don't won't to hijack the thread, but after I saw your avatar I wanted to tell you to get a copy of Gordon McQuarrie's "Stories of the Old Duck Hunters" if you have not already read it. There are 3 books in the series, most of the stories came from articles he wrote for sporting magazines in the 40s and 50s. He is my all time favorite outdoor writer and his stories of the Old Man and himself on fishing and hunting trips are true treasures. He died years ago, but you can get his books at the library or order from Amazon, Books a Million etc.
    Well worth your time to read.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

thanks sea ray. i'll look for them. i could write a book but won't have time now.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

i have a good friend that he and his son and daughter at one time had 9 of those j.d. combines and would start in the south cutting wheat and sometimes wind up in canada. then they pulled back some and started staying in la and ark. he's nearly 90 and was driving a combine the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

Nearly 90--Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

bull, he's tougher than a pine knot. he has run them since back in the 70's. he would bring them all back home after the harvest to go through them and get them ready for the next time. he had done that so many times it became second nature to him. so much so he slipped up one day. they had replaced the bearings in the big fan that runs across the combine and he had a lapse of memory or something and reached in the opening to tighten the bolts on the bearing holders with the fan running. it took off 3 of his fingers and left the index finger and thumb and they were broken up. it happened in a second and was over. that man still goes to florida and bass fishes nearly every day for 2 months on lake okeechobee. he still drives himself down there and back home too. like i said he's a tough ole bird. his son was working on one inside the cab and working on a part you get to by raising the driver seat. he too had a lapse of memory and lost one finger. farming is the second most dangerous occupations.

Post Thanks / Like

And can be the risk-est financially.Mother nature is brutal at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast