Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville Habitat Improvement Project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville Habitat Improvement Project

The Smithville Lake Habitat Improvement Project is nearing completion! This project all started as part of the Reservoir Fisheries Habitat Partnership Grant proposal. In March, Smithville Lake was awarded $15,000 from the RFHP for habitat improvements in the lake. This 4 phase project included bank stabilization, hinge cutting shoreline, and brush pile and rock pile installation. In cooperation with the RFHP, MDC, USACE, and Clay Co. Parks this project quickly ballooned into a $200,000 project.

With the help of the USACE and Clay Co. Parks, we were able to rip-rap 3000 linear feet on 2 of Smithville’s most highly erodable points during phase 1 of the project, using 5500 ton of rock. Increasing shoreline habitat and helping improve the water quality in the lake.
    The 2nd phase of the project included hinge cutting trees along the shoreline. Smithville Lake is sorely lacking shallow water habiat. We hinge cut 7 miles of shoreline in the upper end or some large coves on the lake. The hinge cut trees are definitely doing their job as each tree was full of YOY fish during spring electrofishing surveys.
    The 3rd phase included installing large brush piles in the lake. The project proposal called for the installation of 100 brushpiles. To date we have installed 275 brushpiles throughout the lake! Smithville is lucky to have a large group of very dedicated volunteers that helped us out with this phase. Volunteers have logged nearly 1000 man-hrs helping install these brush piles over a 7-day period. A tree shear and 3 habitat barges didn’t hurt either. This equipment allowed us to install 30-40 ft trees, creating huge brush piles.

The final phase of the project was installing the rock piles. Over a five day period, we were able to put 2200 ton of rock in the lake. That computed to 9 large rock piles and 6 large boulder fields. The rock should provide excellent habitat and nursery areas.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on what's been going on at Smithville. All these phases were intented to increase angling opportunity as well as increase spawning habitat. We take great pride in trying to help improve our fisheries. THANK YOU to all that helped with this project. Name:  DSCF0083.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  57.2 KBName:  DSCF0105.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  63.8 KBName:  DSCF0175.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  22.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

THAT

IS

AMAZING!

Thanks to everyone involved who worked so hard on this.

But....one question:

Who should Bruce call when he *still* can't catch a fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!

Post Thanks / Like

I helped out this spring and I was amazed at the effort you guys have put in, the organization of getting it all ready and the equipment borrowed/rented/hired, and the spirit you all showed. A BIG thank you to all of the agencies involved in helping.

Post Thanks / Like

WHOA!!! That's amazing. I'm bummed I didn't the chance to help as I have in the past. I asked Scott about it about 2 weeks ago. He thought there may be another opportunity in November. Please keep me in mind. I know my name is on the list.

The ONE thing I want to do is improve habit so folks like JoeDog (emphasis on DOG) can continue to fish like they're fishing in a barrel.

I myself like the challenge of having to work for my limit, or half a limit, or a few keepers, or not getting skunked.....as the case may be.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Besides. I've been SLAYIN' them since late August. I'm just not posting to make you guys feel jealous. Do the fish you catch in your dreams count?

Post Thanks / Like

Wtg guys

Post Thanks / Like

I like the efforts from what I have seen this year when on the lake. How do you sign up these days?
    I did a Christmas tree drop about 10 years ago, but haven't kept up since then.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them..." - George Mason

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats really cool!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good work from all involved !