Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to catch Crappie??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best way to catch Crappie??

Best way to get bit? Fish where the fish are. Way too often fishermen fish where it's convenient or where they caught them last year without using the advantages of modern technology.

Don't just pick out a random tree in a 100 acre patch of trees. Something makes one tree better than another. Try to figure what that is. Could be a creek channell or depth change but you can bet that there's something effecting that tree.

My favorite tree would be one apart from the rest. The farther away the better.
    Same for brushpiles. Sure a brushpile in a forest will hold some fish but one alone on a big flat should hold a lot of fish. If there's a drop off there so much the better.

Logic will help you a lot but electronics will help a lot more if you learn to properly use them. I constantly talk to fishermen that don't know what a brushpile looks like on their sonar unit. Take some time and learn a bit. Build a brushpile
    and then practice looking at it from all angles until you know what you're seeing.

By the way, when you build a brushpile, build a big one. A bucket with a few branches in it may look big on your driveway but it's a dot in the lake.

This is how we do it. A willow tree that's 6"-8" in diameter (or two of them tied together)will make a nice pile that's easy to find and will last for years.
    I rarely start fishing anymore unless I can see fish on the spot.
    Sidescan or down scan sonars are real effective, see below. You don't have to have them if you learn to use your 2D sonar but it really helps.

Almost everytime I fish I find a few new spots like these.

Trees that you can tie to are certainly convenient but they are also the ones that attract the most fishing pressure.

My favorite ones are the ones that you cannot see from the surface, Use your sonar to locate them or look around when the water is down several feet and mark them.

Crappie love concrete. Look for old home sites or foundations that are under the water. This old house foundation had a rock wall beside it and the fish are all around the wall.

This is an underwater pipeline that is a fish magnet. Lots of lakes have these
    facilities that pump water for local use. Scan them carefully sometimes there
    Crappie and other time they are hybrids or catfish.

When you do find an Isolated stump or tree you want to fish the ones that have
    a lot of clutter around them. Sometimes it's just bait but usually Crappie are there also.

This tree has a huge school of big Crappie around it.

This log has a school of Crappie tight on it, a school of White bass near it and a school of Hybrids near them. We caught all three depending where we threw.

Learn to use your sonar and catches like this will be the norm.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff there, sir.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice thread, indeed. My SI isn't as clear as that, I have much to learn.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread.....thanks for shareing
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing this.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

this isi great info for us rookies.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this Ernest. Your CD's have helped me a bunch also.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ernest, great post!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Good info , I have over 400 condos on my home lake. I pefer smaller stuff cause we have lots of fishing pressure. My goal is average 1 good fish per spot and hit lots of them for a limit.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for this post being the best one I have seen so far. Very usefull information. Will have to try and translate this to my 2d units Thanks.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast