Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back in the grove

Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting back in the groove

New here but the board looks pretty good. I put the rod & reel up for about 20 years or so and started getting them back out about a month ago. Before I took a break, I sure did enjoy trolling for crappie down on Lake Jackson. Of course I had a little aluminum bass boat back then but it has been long gone. This time around I've come up with something a little different - a fishing kayak.

When I trolled Rock Creek, I never really fished deep - maybe I didn't fish a lot in the winter. I've had my yak on Lake Varner a couple of times now and if I'm reading my fish finder right, the crappie are running around 20 feet deep. Just wondering what you folks have found to be the best tactics for getting to them. I'm guessing I'll rig a heavy sinker on the end and tee off a line or two with jigs above. I had rather fish with jigs because dealing with a minnow bucket in a yak is a little cramped. I did catch a large Jack fish last weekend. It was a big disappointment to both of us!

I'll be out of commission for a couple of weeks getting ready for my daughter's cruise wedding so I'll just have to "fish in the spirit" here. Looking forward to your methods for pulling up some slabs out of the cool water.
    Last edited by Yak pedaler; 11-28-2004 at 07:34 AM.
    Pedaling & Fishing

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

welcom to the board Yak pedaler. dont know what a yak is soundslike a small boat . i have to have one big enough to stand up and walk around . maby could stand it foe a short while . seen a little thing that looked like a little canoo cut half into and had a eletric trolling motor with a home made cables and a foot peddle to guide it. thought it was neat outfit but i wasent for me . again welcom to the board . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks papasage. It's a sit-on-top kayak that has this neat pedal mechanism so I can troll or fish the banks without having to swap fishing rod for paddle all the time. I checked it with my GPS and I can maintain 3.5 MPH on smooth water with no problem. Thanks again for your welcome.
    Pedaling & Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Welcome Yakpedaler

Hello and welcome Yakpedaler! We are happy to have you aboard. Sounds like you have a nice little boat there. That should be just the right speed to trol for crappie using the drop shot rig. Looking forward to your post,Please share your fishing trips with us.Thats what this board is all about. Sharing something we all enjoy, Fishing! Welcome again and good fishing . Jimmy S.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

if you can i would like a pick of that boat my brother wants to see it. you can send it to [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

with that thing you should try the georgia river fishing site . they are yake fishermen on there . just dont leave here and not come back. papasage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks pap...

I hang out at the GRF too. Between here, GRF and Kayak Fishing Stuff, I get a lot of answers and some pretty darn good ideas. I left a post at the padlers forum on GRF yesterday after I had a pretty good morning on a little WMA pond near the house. There is a great crappie lake near here but I've got to invest in a good pair of waders first (Santa might bring) because I can't launch by yak without getting in the water there and it's getting a little too chilly for that now. I love to troll for crappie and that's about all the fishing I did 20 years ago before I quit. I'm looking forward to trying it again with my little craft. I enjoy bass fishing but usually catch and release. When I catch crappie, I try to release a few into the frying pan. I'll release crappie too if they are really hitting good...never liked to waste fish or game of any kind - my dad would come back and wear me out if I did!
    Pedaling & Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default redneck pole holder

Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papasage
    just trying to post a pick on here . this is my home made pole holder i use for crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Red Neck Pole Holder

Hello Papasage, Nothing wrong with that red neck pole holder, Nice and simple. Bet it works good. You seem to have posting the picture down pat. I need to get a book and learn how myself. How's the fishing in your area now? Hope you and Fay baby enjoy your camping trip comeing up. Good luck! Your Friend, Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast