Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the underspin reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How are the underspin reels?

I was looking at some of these and was wondering how they work. Are they as easy to cast accuratly as an open face spinning reel? I'm thinking of putting it on a nine foot uglystik. Would that be a good combo?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Give the Quantum hypercast a try. I use them on all my long rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bill dance ultra light combo for my daughter. It cast real easy but the quality is junk. I was fixing it after a couple trips.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

I Use One For Vertical Jiggin ,but I Don,t Like To Cast Withit As Well As A Spinning Reel
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pick any decent spinning reel over an underspin for casting. If you were just planning on vertical jigging, I'd probably go with an inexpensive fly reel. There's less that can go wrong with a fly reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Underspin? This is different than a regular spincast?
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

Underspin is a closed face reel that mounts on the underside of the rod like an open face. Several companies now make them. Bass Pro offers once called the Tiny Lite. Frankly, I don't see the point in one. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Huh...haven't run into one of those yet. Thanks!
    I think I got one...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Roberta's right, Woohdog ..

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Underspin is a closed face reel that mounts on the underside of the rod like an open face. Several companies now make them. Bass Pro offers once called the Tiny Lite. Frankly, I don't see the point in one. - Roberta
    an "underspin" is just a spincast reel that "hangs down" under the rod ... like a regular spinning reel. And it's designed to be used on spinning rods. Spincast reels are designed to be used on "baitcast" rods.

Roberta - the "point", and the only real advantage in an underspin ... is that you use your pointing finger, rather than your thumb, when engaging the reel. This keeps the thumb wrapped around the rod, along with the remaining three fingers, when casting ... for a better grip, and control. With the "open hand" position that a spincast reel causes you to maintain, when casting, you're more likely to throw the whole outfit into the water - than you are with a underspin, which allows you to grip the rod with a closed hand & extended finger. Other than that, the weight of the reel is suspended below the reel seat ... which means you don't have to "balance" the weight of the reel, like you might have to do with a spincast (which sits on top of the rod). Minor points, to an adult, yes .... but, for the young and/or elderly (and weaker wristed), it's some positive points.
    I am, of course, referring to the larger, heavier spincast/underspin reels .... the "microlite" & "ultralite" versions don't cause these problems, as much.

They (ul's & ml's) do have their own "drawbacks", though .... such as weak gears/drag systems, & small bore line spools. The small line spools cause a couple of problems .... slow retrieve ratio/line pickup speed (which makes for more handle cranking to retrieve a bait/fish) & tightly coiled line (which creates the need for line changes, often).

The biggest "downside" to a spincast or underspin reel, IMHO ... is that you have to depend on the drag system, when you hook a large fish. With a spinning reel, even a UL one, you can "backwind" the reel and play the fish down. I've done this, successfully, on fish up to 12lbs ... using UL reels & 4lb test line. Had I been using a spincast/underspin, chances are those fish would not have been landed. ........... cp

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CP, while i agree that you'll have to change line often, i've caught some big channel cats at Ky lake on my Daiwa underspin. Some were over 7lbs and on 8lb test on my 10ft rod. What a blast. Took a while to land them because of the small spool but i back reeled with no problem. Dont know about the other reels but that daiwa was alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast