PDA

View Full Version : How are the underspin reels?

Hightekrednek
06-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I was looking at some of these and was wondering how they work. Are they as easy to cast accuratly as an open face spinning reel? I'm thinking of putting it on a nine foot uglystik. Would that be a good combo?
Thanks!

Mopar Matt
06-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Give the Quantum hypercast a try. I use them on all my long rods.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Jar133/Fishing/hyp.jpg

sccamper
06-23-2006, 04:16 AM
I got a bill dance ultra light combo for my daughter. It cast real easy but the quality is junk. I was fixing it after a couple trips.

frank lawhead
06-23-2006, 04:41 AM
I Use One For Vertical Jiggin ,but I Don,t Like To Cast Withit As Well As A Spinning Reel

deathb4disco
06-23-2006, 05:18 AM
I'd pick any decent spinning reel over an underspin for casting. If you were just planning on vertical jigging, I'd probably go with an inexpensive fly reel. There's less that can go wrong with a fly reel.

Woohdog
06-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Underspin? This is different than a regular spincast?

Roberta
06-23-2006, 05:35 AM
Underspin is a closed face reel that mounts on the underside of the rod like an open face. Several companies now make them. Bass Pro offers once called the Tiny Lite. Frankly, I don't see the point in one. - Roberta

Woohdog
06-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Huh...haven't run into one of those yet. Thanks!

CrappiePappy
06-23-2006, 06:44 AM
Underspin is a closed face reel that mounts on the underside of the rod like an open face. Several companies now make them. Bass Pro offers once called the Tiny Lite. Frankly, I don't see the point in one. - Roberta

an "underspin" is just a spincast reel that "hangs down" under the rod ... like a regular spinning reel. And it's designed to be used on spinning rods. Spincast reels are designed to be used on "baitcast" rods.

Roberta - the "point", and the only real advantage in an underspin ... is that you use your pointing finger, rather than your thumb, when engaging the reel. This keeps the thumb wrapped around the rod, along with the remaining three fingers, when casting ... for a better grip, and control. With the "open hand" position that a spincast reel causes you to maintain, when casting, you're more likely to throw the whole outfit into the water :eek: - than you are with a underspin, which allows you to grip the rod with a closed hand & extended finger. Other than that, the weight of the reel is suspended below the reel seat ... which means you don't have to "balance" the weight of the reel, like you might have to do with a spincast (which sits on top of the rod). Minor points, to an adult, yes .... but, for the young and/or elderly (and weaker wristed), it's some positive points.
I am, of course, referring to the larger, heavier spincast/underspin reels .... the "microlite" & "ultralite" versions don't cause these problems, as much.

They (ul's & ml's) do have their own "drawbacks", though .... such as weak gears/drag systems, & small bore line spools. The small line spools cause a couple of problems .... slow retrieve ratio/line pickup speed (which makes for more handle cranking to retrieve a bait/fish) & tightly coiled line (which creates the need for line changes, often).

The biggest "downside" to a spincast or underspin reel, IMHO ... is that you have to depend on the drag system, when you hook a large fish. With a spinning reel, even a UL one, you can "backwind" the reel and play the fish down. I've done this, successfully, on fish up to 12lbs ... using UL reels & 4lb test line. Had I been using a spincast/underspin, chances are those fish would not have been landed. ........... cp :cool:

chaunc
06-23-2006, 07:43 AM
CP, while i agree that you'll have to change line often, i've caught some big channel cats at Ky lake on my Daiwa underspin. Some were over 7lbs and on 8lb test on my 10ft rod. What a blast. Took a while to land them because of the small spool but i back reeled with no problem. Dont know about the other reels but that daiwa was alright.

HurricaneJM
06-23-2006, 12:46 PM
i dont think the underspin make much sense, why not just get a spinning reel if you want it on the bottom? jmo

PieEye
06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Can't beat em jiggin or dippin. I fish two poles jiggin and just drop the jig and kick the bail over with the side of my leg. I fish alot of cold weather and they save the hands and no line problems. Fresh line is good, and you don't need much.
Down side is they are not for casting. And what ever you do... make sure they have two line pick ups or pins.

Hightekrednek
06-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Okay, just seeing if a new toy would be worth buying. Looks like I'll be sticking with the spinning reel. Thanks for the fast replies.
Justin.

slab-seeker
06-24-2006, 08:41 PM
just my 2 cents but if your looking for an ultralite do not, i repeat do not get the quantum snapshot. when you use the trigger to pull open the bail the line will just spring off no matter how little the test or the type of line. also after about two or three or four weeks the trigger will start to stick when you pull it open and youll look like an idiot, or rookie in front of your friends or family when you try to cast and the lure just wraps around your pole when the line doesn't release.

just my opp. its nothing but a boatload of trouble

Josh