PDA

View Full Version : plywood floors

crappieseeker
10-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I am hoping to one day be able to purchase a boat and it seems as if since money is an issue I think I may can cut some costs by going with a boat that has marine treat plywood flooring instead of aluminum. What can I expect the life expectency to be of plywood floors. I do not want to save a little money only to have to replace flooring in 10 years. If I keep the boat covered or in a garage how long should the floors last?

crappielimits
10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Newer wood floors have last at least 10.

flintcreek
10-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Kept in a garage and just getting wet when out fishing....almost forever....but kept under a tarp they seem to go in around 10 years or so....tarps just don't seem to keep them dry or maybe there is a sweat issue.

zrdc28
10-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I have a 1988 aluminum boat that has been garaged that has the plywood that was put in it when new. It has been soaking wet 100's of times. I used some kind of sealer on both sides of plywood but can not remember what. I have heard to never use marine plywood next to aluminum because of chemical reaction.

Swampthing6400
10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
Best thing to do to make your investment last is prep work. I went with 1/4inch plywood that I treated heavily with Thompson’s water sealant. After that dries good put another coat on top and bottom all edges. Then put you a good thick layer all over the wood with rhino lining. After all that get you some xpanda foam or the 1/2 inch thick slabs of plastic or insulation and cut it to fit between the ribs of your boat no need to glue them. After all that then take your ready plywood and lay it down and shallow screw it to the ribs of the boat. If you are worried about the rhino lining getting hot then paint it with some paint from Wal-Mart. Hope this helps because it has been working on my rig for years. I did a 14ft aluminum boat for 100 bucks:)

shipahoy41
10-10-2012, 07:01 AM
I have a 1988 aluminum boat that has been garaged that has the plywood that was put in it when new. It has been soaking wet 100's of times. I used some kind of sealer on both sides of plywood but can not remember what. I have heard to never use marine plywood next to aluminum because of chemical reaction.

I know a fellow that puts Thompson water sealant on his every spring. They are holding up fairly well. He uses a boat cover instead of a tarp though.

Barnacle Bill
10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Someone here on C.C. (I forget who) used cyprus to make a floor. It really looks good to me and you wouldn't have to put anything on it.

willsjwills
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Poplar works well also. I have a rental house with poplar board and batten siding that has lasted for 20 years so far. No sealers or coatings.

Cmj
10-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Go to www.grizzlygrip.com, they have a product similar to the bed liner but comes in a kit with everything you need.

(C.J.)

Cmj
10-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Oh yeah, they have about a hundred colors to choose from and it looks like carpet from a distance.

(C.J.)

Hanr3
10-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Someone here on C.C. (I forget who) used cyprus to make a floor. It really looks good to me and you wouldn't have to put anything on it.

Knowing me, I would lose about a kazillion things between those boards. They sure are purdy though.

PS. I almost killed that dang bug.

Kn

bobothewizard
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Myself and a buddy did the floor in an old tracker i had last year. We grabbed some regular cheap plywood, painted it and put some home depot carpeting on it. It will last for years as the paint seals it.

Either way you decide do not use pressure treated plywood, no matter what.

jimp
10-11-2012, 05:44 AM
I have an 04 Tracker PT175 with a 60 merc bought new. I have stored mine inside from day one, and all of my floors are still solid as a rock, no weak spots, bounce, etc., The key is to store them inside when not in use. Getting it wet while fishing in the rain won't hurt it as long as you take the effort to dry it out good after fishing. I have some fans hanging in my garage and then leave the doors open when possible to help speed the drying process. Don;t fish in the rain much or on purpose, but have been caught on the water in some downpours.

Shellback
10-11-2012, 06:36 AM

The problem is with treated plywood, not marine plywood.

crappiefarmer
10-11-2012, 07:07 AM
1986 stratos bass boat with plywood decks and floor. Kept under a shelter. Still holding up fine. Believe me, this boat is far from babied.CF

papasage
10-11-2012, 09:13 AM
probablem with that is when you drop a minnow or hook weights they git into the cracks

Wind Knot
10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm replacing my plywood floor with an aluminum one. It lasted about eight good years under a tarp. I'd rather have it done correctly than keep replacing the floor. Plus, I'm laying down Hydro Turf and that stuff ain't cheap.

crappieseeker
10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I guess I should have been more specific. I meant boats like tracker that have the plywood factory installed with carpet over them. How long do they last?

Locator79
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
I use regular 3/8" (I think) and seal it. I just replaced the floor last spring, the old one held up around 5 years. Every chance I get to go in the rain, I fish, so the floor gets soaked.

jimp
10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
I guess I should have been more specific. I meant boats like tracker that have the plywood factory installed with carpet over them. How long do they last?

If you can store it inside out of the weather on a day in/day out basis, should last as long as you own the boat. Tracker warranties the floor to the original owner (bought new) for as long as you own the boat. This warranty is not transferable to my knowledge.

Most makers use aluminum now instead of plywood, or some do now.

crappieseeker
10-11-2012, 07:05 PM
jimp some do use aluminum but you pay more for it. I just thought if I kept it inside when not fishing and could save money that might be best for me if it will last, but fishing in the rain never bothered me

skeetbum
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
When I worked at Correct Craft ( Ski Nautique) we used 1/2" marine ply which has a glue superior to CDX or any other. It was then treated with fiberglass resin that was set up to harden very slow and thinned 50/50 with acetone and treated liberally with extra attention to the edges, which soak it up like a sponge. The thinning allows it to absorb further back into the wood before hardening. Once cured it was glassed into every area of the boat. I did repair work on boats as old as 15yrs and the wood was still solid unless it had been submerged for an extended period. Even those only had the plywood comprimised, the fir stringers were intact. Were I to do a floor as you speak of I would treat it like this and add one more coat on the top side and edges and predrill and seal the wood before installing, making sure all screw holes were treated. Not too thick as it would crack and allow water in. Aluminum is nice and will definitely do the job but you better have a tight grip on your wallet.

jimp
10-12-2012, 05:43 AM
crappieseeker,
If you can store your boat inside the majority or all the time via its own garage/shed, take reasonable care to allow the interior to dry if it does get a good soaking, the wood flooring should last you a long long long time. As I stated above, I have no weak spots or bounce in my flooring, original carpet as well. I don't use my boat as much as some the guys on here, but I'm still a working stiff so I try and get out 1x a week, sometimes more. I've fished in the the rain before, and it does not bother me, drying the boat out is a pain, and my model year (04) the storage areas do NOT have a lip around the openings, so water can enter all the storage compartments via seeping in thru the carpet etc., and it an inconvenience, thats all. I think the newer models have a lip around the storage compartment openings to prevent this but I'm not sure on this. I would buy another Tracker if I was in the market for another boat.

crappieseeker
10-12-2012, 06:27 PM
jimp I am looking at the LOWE stinger 175 with a 60 HP. Asking price new is 13,995. Looks like a nice wide aluminum boat.

crappieseeker
10-12-2012, 06:41 PM
well well well, no need for this discussion now that I read a little further. I was looking at reviews on line and looking up info and this boat has no wood and all aluminum. The reason I thought it had wood floors is because on LOWES website where it shows warranty info below this boat here is what it says (Deck Limited Warranty

Lowe will replace or repair plywood decks at a Lowe facility free of charge for materials and labor to the original purchaser.) I was thinking by that statement that this boat had it, but it just means any of their boats that do have it this is their warranty. Thanks again everyone.

jimp
10-12-2012, 06:52 PM
hope you get the one you want and will enjoy. GL

crappieseeker
10-12-2012, 06:59 PM
thanks jimp

jimp
10-13-2012, 06:00 AM
I have a 60 merc 2stroke on mine and it runs good, never really tried to find out the top end, but mine runs 28 mph/gps at about 4k rpm, so that set up should get you where you need to go pretty quickly and is easy on the gas. sounds like it will be a good combo, the price seems fair depending on any accessories you might get.

I put a 55# MK Terrova on mine with IP last year, works good on this this size boat. I longline 99% of the time and fish 4-5 hrs at a time, seldom longer but have. Battery will last all day on my boat while longlining going anywhere from .6 on 1.3 mph. Some will recommend the 24v system, if you have room, go for it but its not needed unless you just want it. GL