Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: plywood floors

Post Thanks / Like

Default plywood floors

I am hoping to one day be able to purchase a boat and it seems as if since money is an issue I think I may can cut some costs by going with a boat that has marine treat plywood flooring instead of aluminum. What can I expect the life expectency to be of plywood floors. I do not want to save a little money only to have to replace flooring in 10 years. If I keep the boat covered or in a garage how long should the floors last?

Post Thanks / Like

Newer wood floors have last at least 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Kept in a garage and just getting wet when out fishing....almost forever....but kept under a tarp they seem to go in around 10 years or so....tarps just don't seem to keep them dry or maybe there is a sweat issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1988 aluminum boat that has been garaged that has the plywood that was put in it when new. It has been soaking wet 100's of times. I used some kind of sealer on both sides of plywood but can not remember what. I have heard to never use marine plywood next to aluminum because of chemical reaction.

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing to do to make your investment last is prep work. I went with 1/4inch plywood that I treated heavily with Thompson’s water sealant. After that dries good put another coat on top and bottom all edges. Then put you a good thick layer all over the wood with rhino lining. After all that get you some xpanda foam or the 1/2 inch thick slabs of plastic or insulation and cut it to fit between the ribs of your boat no need to glue them. After all that then take your ready plywood and lay it down and shallow screw it to the ribs of the boat. If you are worried about the rhino lining getting hot then paint it with some paint from Wal-Mart. Hope this helps because it has been working on my rig for years. I did a 14ft aluminum boat for 100 bucks

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    I have a 1988 aluminum boat that has been garaged that has the plywood that was put in it when new. It has been soaking wet 100's of times. I used some kind of sealer on both sides of plywood but can not remember what. I have heard to never use marine plywood next to aluminum because of chemical reaction.
    I know a fellow that puts Thompson water sealant on his every spring. They are holding up fairly well. He uses a boat cover instead of a tarp though.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone here on C.C. (I forget who) used cyprus to make a floor. It really looks good to me and you wouldn't have to put anything on it.

Name:  Cyprus boat floor.jpg
Views: 7928
Size:  45.2 KB
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Poplar works well also. I have a rental house with poplar board and batten siding that has lasted for 20 years so far. No sealers or coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to www.grizzlygrip.com, they have a product similar to the bed liner but comes in a kit with everything you need.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, they have about a hundred colors to choose from and it looks like carpet from a distance.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast