Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for input for some spider rigging rod/reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for input for some spider rigging rod/reels.

Evening all. I am looking for some advice on some spider rigging rod or rod/reel combos. I am going to give this a try and since I live in pennsylvania I can only have a max of 3 rods. Im looking for some cheap 12 footers or so preferably rod/reel combos. I do not want anything really expensive since I am not sure if I will like spider rigging or not. Baitcaster or spinning reel, doesnt matter unless the line counter on baitcasters is needed. I have been watching some videos and I am still not sure if they (linecounters) are really needed and I would assume its a little more expensive to get the reels with the line counters.

Also I am looking for some advice on rod holders that can be used for spider rigging but can double to hold some of our heavier rods for catfishing.

As always your advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Only holders I would use for crappie and catfish would be driftmaster. Hiteks or Pinnacle rods are affordable graphites for spider rigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Just realized I joined this site last September and just got my first post... I feel like some kind of pervert just lurking around watching everyone lol....

Looks like they are about $17 each for the rods, ok, I thought these long crappie rods would be $100 or more like the bass rods. It seems like even the good rods are in the $50 range

Thank you for the reply, its greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacles are $15 each
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you find the Pinnacles for $15.00 each? Any chain sporting goods stores? I have not seen them around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzlyjigs,com has em for 4 for 60 bucks.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

You can pick up some mini casting reels to use for $8.00 fron grizzley also. For spiderrigging ya dont need line counters.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What size rods would you suggest for a beginner? I will be fishing these off of a crestliner storm 16 boat.

Post Thanks / Like

To start out, i'd go to Walmart and get a telescopic 12' - 14' spider rod, put eyes at the ends of each section. Duct tape an old reel to the butt of the rod, so far yur less than $20.00 a rod. As for line counters, I don't use them but in the summer months when the slabs are deep, I tie on a piecce of chartreuse slip bobber line. When I find them on my Garmin, I slip that knot to the right spot and BINGO, thump thump, set the hook! If you have a foot control trolling motor go with two rods to start with and see if this is going to trip your triger. Work the river and creek chanels top to bottom and bottom to top till you find the sweet spots. Put a bell sinker on the bottom then use gold #4 aberdeen hooks (2-3) 12" - 14" apart. The deeper the water the heaverier the sinker ie 25' 1/2oz, 10' 3/8oz. I have gone to a Mr Crappie Tempress rod holder, it adjusts all four rods vertically and horizontally and it comes off and on with ease. Down here we can use as many rods as we wish. I use four with three hooks on each rod. How can anyone have more fun than pushing a dozen minners down the lake and watchin for that first little twitch.......gotcha! Name:  Jerry's boat 001.jpg
Views: 4785
Size:  24.2 KBName:  boat 007.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  39.4 KB This is mine and my fishin buddies boat and we've done well.

Just waitin on the thump!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey slab thank you for posting those pictures. I think what im going to do is buy a 4 set of rods for $60 from grizzly jigs and 4 tiny reels. I think the total came out to like 80 some odd bucks. That way it will give the wife and I 2 rods each to try it. Up here in pennsylvania we can only use 3 rods each with 3 hooks on each rod.

I think I will also end up going with the driftmaster rod holders. I sent and email to them an hour or so ago asking what they would recommend to use not only for spider rigging but also to see if i can buy any holders that would double as a catfishing rod holder too. Maybe some kind of rod holders with different mounting brackets where i could move the rod holders around, say to the side of the boat for holding the catfish rods.

Good call on those bobber stops too, never thought of that.

Thanks again for posting those pics, i can at least see how it is suppose to be done.