Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glass or a tin boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glass or a tin boat?

I had the most unique conversation with a guy yesterday. It was over boat composition. Now here's something that might interest you, this guy told me that glass boats catch 2-3 times more fish than tin boats. He stated tin boats were much noisier, didn't track near as well, and overall caught more wind. He said his old boat, which was a Lund Baron didn't produce near as many fish as his newer glass Ranger. In addition, he said he had to anchor or troll with the Lund to really have any kind of success. What do you think? I just smiled and nodded, but I also brought it to this board. Any thoughts?
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

My first boat was an aluminum Sea Nymph. My current boat is a fiberglass bass boat. My next boat will be an aluminum Lund.

I caught just as many fish out of that narrow little Sea Nymph with a 60hp Merc on the back as I do with the bass boat with the gas guzzler hanging off the back. Most of the crappie fisherman on my home lake fish out of tin boats so I bet they'd have a hard time with his points too.

DrNip is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he just became a better fisherman over time.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I will agree to the point that a heavy glass boat will ride lower in the water..therefore catching less wind...

Now whether that equates to more fish ...??

I still like my aluminum Landau 1860 mod v... I don't have to wipe it off every time I pull it out of the water...load it, strap it down, and I'm off to clean fish...while the bassboatboys are digging out their polishing rag at the ramp...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch552 View Post
    My first boat was an aluminum Sea Nymph. My current boat is a fiberglass bass boat. My next boat will be an aluminum Lund.

I caught just as many fish out of that narrow little Sea Nymph with a 60hp Merc on the back as I do with the bass boat with the gas guzzler hanging off the back. Most of the crappie fisherman on my home lake fish out of tin boats so I bet they'd have a hard time with his points too.
    I don't know. Perhaps he took more "Confidence" with him in the glass boat.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have had both types over the last 40 years and I think he is full of Baloney. Like the Chevy vs Ford debate on Raceday. Depends on what you driving as to what you believe.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

For drifting more slowly, I either drag a 5 gallon bucket or my drift sock depending on the wind. My guide model G3 aluminum 16 footer planes at a third throttle on my 50 Yamaha tiller. It's a wide and stable boat with 7 feet at the gunnels and 65 inches at the waterline.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also fished out of both kinds over the years. I went and bought a aluminum boat 5 years ago just before I went into retirement because of the maintenance on glass boats is to costly and time consuming. STEVE

Post Thanks / Like

My Grandfather used to catch hundreds of crappie out of a Wooden boat

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta fish what you got! I fish aluminium and boat plenty of fish. Those are some skiddish fish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast