Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camper shell vs tool box

Post Thanks / Like

Default camper shell vs tool box

Hey guys I know this is off topic but I'm faced with a decision and I was wanting some input. I have an '02 short bed ford ranger and I would like to either put a camper shell or a tool box on it and was wondering what some of yall might have. I'm thinking that a tool box for a truck that size wouldn't hold much stuff anyway so I'm kinda leaning toward the shell. Truck is used for hunting/fishing. Have a trialer if I need to haul anything big. Comments?????

Post Thanks / Like

x- I was cruising the AL board for Weiss info when I saw your post. If it were me, I'd opt for the shell, not only for more room (as you mentioned), but for a place to sleep if I wanted to for a n overnite/weekend trip.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd agree with Neonmoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have had both, do you fish out of a boat, I can promise if you fish alone, the first time you try to get your boat out of the water you will get your feet wet with the shell, just no way to manuever around the shell to get to dry land. But I did like it from the standpoint of locking things in it and the aspect of using it for sleeping quarters if I went somewhere far off and needed a place to sleep. Now the toolbox worked but sometimes it got in the way if I had to haul something big. I would look into a hard or soft tonneau cover, that way when you need it, you unfold or pull it closed. I know I went overboard with an answer but I do hope it helped.

Post Thanks / Like

Why couldn't you still drop the tailgate? When it was cold (at least the water), I just carried a pair of hip waders and put them on to get out of the boat if I was gonna get knee deep in water.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

Well to be honest I hadn't thought of that, I think when backing, my tailgate might hit on the winch for the boat, I'll have to check that out, thanks neon

Post Thanks / Like

May be expensive but you could get both. I have a full size truck with a 6 ft bed and a toolbox and am in the market for a shell for it. I plan to use the shell for overnight trips and for things like tailgating and leave the toolbox on it the rest of the time.

They make toolboxes that bolt directly to the bed instead of the rail so I would imagine you could get that and a shell and wouldn't have to remove the toolbox to put on the shell. Just remove it when you need more bed space.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fiberglass bed cover on my S10 because I wanted to be able to carry rods with me and keep them locked up when I'm at work or in a store. It's not quite as functional as a camper shell, but I think it looks a lot better. Plus whenever I want to take it off, all I have to do is take off 2 wing nuts and 2 clips and it lifts right off, leaving only the frame around the top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quikcarl61 View Post
    Well to be honest I hadn't thought of that, I think when backing, my tailgate might hit on the winch for the boat, I'll have to check that out, thanks neon
    Back down the ramp to the water, then drop the gate before loading the boat, problem solved.
    Apple Pie ProStaff

Post Thanks / Like

I love my shell

Sent from a Droid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast