Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: pixels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default pixels?

Hi everyone,
    I have an Eagle fishmark 320 and am thinking about a second one but Im thinking of upgrading to a fishmark 480. In the BPS catalog it says the only difference in the 2 are the pixels. 320 pixels compared to 480 pixels. Can somebody explain to me what a pixel is? I understand how sonar works and all but Im just not sure what is meant by pixel. thanks for the help,......treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

the more pixels the better the picture will be. Get all the pixels you can afford.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixel

Pixels are the dots that make up the picture. There are 480 vertical dots and fewer horizontal dots. The more dots the better the Resolution.

Pixels also pertain to your computer screen, your tv and many other viewing devices.

A pixel is either turned on an lite up or it's turned off and dark in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Hi everyone,
    I have an Eagle fishmark 320 and am thinking about a second one but Im thinking of upgrading to a fishmark 480. In the BPS catalog it says the only difference in the 2 are the pixels. 320 pixels compared to 480 pixels. Can somebody explain to me what a pixel is? I understand how sonar works and all but Im just not sure what is meant by pixel. thanks for the help,......treepotato
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Pixels are the dots that make up the picture. There are 480 vertical dots and fewer horizontal dots. The more dots the better the Resolution.

Pixels also pertain to your computer screen, your tv and many other viewing devices.

A pixel is either turned on an lite up or it's turned off and dark in most cases.
    So the difference between 320 & 480 pixels would be 160. Which would make the 480 model 1/3 clearer . Am I thinking correct? I think the 480 runs about $30.00 more. I wish I could see the two screens side by side to see if the quality would be worth $30.00. Thanks guys........treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference

Actually your 320 is 320 vertical, by 320 horizontal pixtels. The 480 is 480 vertical by 320 horizontal pixtels. So your horizontal bottom coverage would be about the same, but you would probably have better definition in the vertical stacking of fish. At least I think that's how it works. Between you and me, we probably would have a hard time telling the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Pixels are also part of a computer screen and have alot to do with digital cameras also. I do know the more pixels, the more expensive the digital cameras are and the better quality of picture you can get. But, on my computer, I have software that can lower the pixel rate on photos and on my computer screen, I can't tell the difference in the picture.
    I agree with Shellback, you may have a hard time telling the difference.
    Go to Eagle's website. You can download virtual simulations of both units and compare them on your computer. I believe their website is www.eaglegps.com You then want to find the emulator link. I downloaded a couple of their units and you can use all of the bells and whistles that come with the units almost like being on the water with a unit. It is a good method of sales and worth the time to download if you are buying one of their products.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pixels.

This may not work well for everyone. The problem with seeing the simulator on the web or on your computer screen is that your computer screen will limit the amount of detail that you can see.

It's like trying to watch a High Defination TV show on a NON hd tV. You can't see the increased detail that the signal will have on the low defination or regular TV screen.

You actaully have to view the units screens themselves to see the increased detail on some computer screen.

It all may depend on what screen resolution your computer screen is set to use. I set my screen to view at 1024 by 768 pixels. So I could see the difference in the screen on my monitor. But if your monitor is set to 640 by 480 you may not be able to see the actual difference on your computer's monitor.

You really don't need high resolution to see what is under the water. I can tell that there is a brush pile down there and know where to fish and I am using a 20 year old depth finder. But the increased resolution is nice as it may show you more resolution.

When viewing a picture on the computer screen you really need at least 72 dpi and no more. DPI equals dots per inch OR Pixels per inch. The more pixels you have per inch the more detailed the picture will be.

Now when printing a picture your printer will be limited as to how many pixel per inch it can print. But usually it's better than 72 dpi. My old HP lazer Printer used 300 dpi for printing black and white pictures or text.

A scanner can make a copy of a picture in high resolution or in low resolution. But if you are going to be sending the picture over the internet then you won't want to scan it at high resolution as it may be too big to send or take too long to send over the net. And beside the person receiving the picture may only need to view it on his monitor and then the 72 dpi resolution is all he will need. So you can scan the picture at lower resolution and then compress it before sending it out over the internet. But if the person receiving the picture wants to print it out using a high resolution printer then you may want to scan the picture at higher resolution of 600 dpi and then send it to them in a compressed format such as TIFF or GIFF. That way the data can be sent faster and he can receive the picture and then print it out in higher resolution.

But remember that the higher the resolution you use on a scanner or when taking digital pictures the more computer memory you will need to save the picture.

If you get into digital photography and start using Software like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro then you will need to read up on this DPI stuff more.

It's confusing because lots of electronic devices have different ways of showing the picture to you.

Just remmber that the more dots you use to create a picture the better the picture may look but the more time it takes to make the picture and the more memory will be used to store it. Also if you have 600 dpi vs 300 dpi the dots making up the picture in 600 dpi scale will be 1/2 as big as the 300 dpi scale picture.

I am scanning some maps and using 600 dpi scanning scale to get the most detail I can get on the maps. But it's taking longer to do the scans and something the fail for some reason or another. Memory problems. Each scanned picture can take up as much as 100 megabyte of computer storage memory. If I were to scan these map at 300 dpi it would go faster and the files would not be so large. But if you scan them at the higher resolution you can always make a copy of the digital image and save it in a smaller dpi scale and then use it for other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtick
    Pixels are also part of a computer screen and have alot to do with digital cameras also. I do know the more pixels, the more expensive the digital cameras are and the better quality of picture you can get. But, on my computer, I have software that can lower the pixel rate on photos and on my computer screen, I can't tell the difference in the picture.
    I agree with Shellback, you may have a hard time telling the difference.
    Go to Eagle's website. You can download virtual simulations of both units and compare them on your computer. I believe their website is www.eaglegps.com You then want to find the emulator link. I downloaded a couple of their units and you can use all of the bells and whistles that come with the units almost like being on the water with a unit. It is a good method of sales and worth the time to download if you are buying one of their products.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wanna see a pixel?

Turn your TV off and look at the black dots on the screen. Those are your pixels. The better quality TVs have more of these dots for the same viewing area. More dots are good for the same viewing area. Notice that the pixels (Picture Elements) are neatly arranged in columns and rows. Looks like a bunch of Jar Heads at parade rest to me. lol...just kidding....bang....bang...
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"