PDA

View Full Version : CROSBY SLED Boat Restoration project by Shipahoy 41

shipahoy41
10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
October 1, 2012

Thanks to all of you for your many kind words and thoughts. I appreciate all of my crappie.com friends. This is my boat "The Legacy" why did I choose that name? First of all I bought it at an estate sale. Second, one of my children will probably inherit it. Finally I had no earthly idea of what the name would be until I started writing this thread. Seems as if God just spoke into my mind and said it is to be called "The Legacy." Anyway, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

The boat was sitting in the estate sale, and it was obvious it had not been on the water since 1999. That was the last time it was registered. The previous owner had been placed in a nursing home for the past 12 years by his children. It was just sitting out there on the lawn. The owner said it had been garaged for over 10 years. The first thing I noticed was the boat had a lot of character. I had my mind set on another boat in Morris Alabama. I had been talking to the owner (Keith) for about a week and had set a firm date of Monday to go up and purchase the boat. He emailed me on Sunday night and said the boat was no longer available. I was devastated. Anyway, Monday afternoon my pastor said he had seen an ad for an estate sale and they had a boat included. It was raining cats and dogs Monday so we said we would look at it Tuesday. Well, the sky was overcast on Tuesday so I went up and saw this.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/boatinterior.jpg

I could see that is was fiberglass with a brown and yellow color scheme. I love earth tones especially brown. The key ignition is mounted on the left side to the right of the steering wheel. The steering wheel was mounted on the left side, and the throttles were mounted on the right side. It has a 25 hp Johnson motor on it. It has two 360 degree swivel seats in it and there is a tray on each side of the gunnel where you can put things like pliers or bait bags while you fish. It also had an old flasher unit on it. I purchased the boat, motor and trailer for a total of $600.00 and wrote him out a check on the spot. I hooked the boat to my truck and began to tow it to a marina I trust. I stopped bu my pastor's house and dropped him off first.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/Shipahoy41boat.jpg

October 3, 2012

The boat is at Alabama Marina. They are installing a depth finder, used trolling motor, and tuning the engine. Yes, I asked them to remove the flasher unit because I am not that great in operating or understanding one. I am giving it to olduckhunter. He is a special friend of mine. I also encourage everyone to keep him in your prayers. When it comes back in about two weeks I will begin the clean up process with a lot of bleach, soap and water. Slab is sending some c.com decals so I can represent the website wherever I travel.

tenncrappie
10-03-2012, 09:05 AM
How cool and I love the brown. It looks like mahogany. Glad u got a ride and get out there and put a hurt on them Crappie!

Blackhawk19
10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm ready for the pics of all the fish you catch off that boat!!!!!!

jimp
10-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Congrats on finding a boat you'll enjoy. looks like a keeper

MeanV2
10-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Wish I was closer I'd wanna go for a ride! :)

Dan

kycreek
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
We need pics. Before & after. Good luck!

STUMP HUNTER
10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Ship, congrats on you new boat. It looks awesome and I know you will have many great fishing trips using it. Looks like it was taken care of and I know you will have it in top form. Congrats :)

slabbernuts
10-03-2012, 01:37 PM
awesome , congrats

skiptomylu
10-03-2012, 02:05 PM
The main thing is that you get to put a lot of crappie in it. I am sure you will fix up what needs it and have a nice rig! Go get them crappie now!

I am really happy for you and as I know you deserve it big time!
Skip

bee
10-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Nice find. GET THAT FLASHER BACK ON . At least a newer one. Best keep secret going is using the flasher to find um and then jig um up.

What do you see in the background?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/pro390/100_0664.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/pro390/100_0662.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj192/pro390/100_0665.jpg

shipahoy41
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Yep. The one on my boat is similar but it looks like it is a 1983 model. We are adding a dual 110 outlet on the boat for my cd player and additional lighting. Pictures will start again in about two weeks after I get it back from the marina. Does anyone else have a boat with the steering wheel mounted on one side and the throttle controls on the other side like mine? I looked for what type of boat it is but at first glance I can not see a name.

huntinslabs
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I think I would look into stick steer vs the sideways wheel. Seems it would be easy to loose grip on the wheel in a steep turn. Never seen the likes of that before. Do like the boat otherwise. Congrats on gettin ya a rig.

Fatman
10-03-2012, 05:09 PM
For sitting as long as it did it looks great!!!!!! A few toys and clean up and you'll be hauling them in!!!!!! Congrats

jeepguyjames
10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
congrats....glad to see u get a boat again

RetiredRR
10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
:biggrinThe main thing is your happy and we are happy for you. Lookin' forward to seeing you in action. :biggrin

zrdc28
10-03-2012, 11:56 PM
looks like you got a good deal on that, I sold a motor just like that for $600 last year

yankee doodler
10-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Great boat Ship! You're right lots o character. God is indeed good. Always gives us more than we need or deserve, eh?!!

shipahoy41
10-04-2012, 06:25 AM
Great boat Ship! You're right lots o character. God is indeed good. Always gives us more than we need or deserve, eh?!! YES HE DOES!!! In spite of ourselves. I thank Him every day for His Grace and His Mercy. I am going to Bass Pro Shop to find an on board charger they can put on the boat. I will go to the Marina Monday and take a few pictures folks. I have to find the hull ID number and make of the boat so I can start registering it and get a trailer license.

jackie53
10-04-2012, 06:49 AM
My dad had one when I was a kid it was ORANGE everone else had alum boats we were up town a friend had turned it over and busted the top cap my dad got it at a bargin.The motor had push button controls we caught lots of fish.It was so uggly my sister would not ride in it afraid her friends would see her in it.He bought a newer boat put it up for sale it did'nt last a week before he sold it great fishing trips.Your pic's brought back great memiores.Thanks!!!! And God works great wonders!!!!! Many happy days!!!!

shipahoy41
10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
My dad had one when I was a kid it was ORANGE everone else had alum boats we were up town a friend had turned it over and busted the top cap my dad got it at a bargin.The motor had push button controls we caught lots of fish.It was so uggly my sister would not ride in it afraid her friends would see her in it.He bought a newer boat put it up for sale it did'nt last a week before he sold it great fishing trips.Your pic's brought back great memiores.Thanks!!!! And God works great wonders!!!!! Many happy days!!!!

Yes He does!! Thank you. I hope you kept a few photos of those memories in your scrapbook. What type of boat was it. I hope you find an old photo and post it here so others including me will share your memories. I am glad this post brought a smile to your face.

big minnow
10-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Can you say favor! A true blessing.
Thats a awesome boat man. I like the wood grain effect all you need now is a woody to pull it with !!! :cool:

shipahoy41
10-04-2012, 01:48 PM
A station wagon like that would make an awesome combo.

big minnow
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Yup!

shipahoy41
10-05-2012, 11:53 AM
October 5, 2012

Well folks. I found out that I am the owner of a Crosby Sled boat. Here are some before photos for you. They pulled it into the work bay today to begin work on it.

This shows the side mounted steering wheel and electrical outlets

Showing storage area along gunnels for baits etc

Showing the old flasher unti to be replaced by an Echo depth finder

Front lights will be replaced with similar ones

Crosby Sled Logo

Heading into the work area.

SeaRay
10-05-2012, 02:20 PM
What in the world were the 110 volt outlets for?, Never seen them on a boat unless it had a generator on it. Course I never saw one with the steering wheel turned sideways. I'd say you got a good deal and a head turner when you put it on the water. Always fun fixing one up to suit your needs. I am always doing something new to mine.
Enjoy.
SeaRay
PS
After reading your story I was thinking if you did not name it Legacy then "Destiny" would have been appropriate.
SeaRay

shipahoy41
10-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I actually thought about destiny but the character of the.boat just spoke volumes and "The Legacy" just kept coming to mind. I have never seen a boat with outlets on it before either. I will use them for a cd player. I also need to put an onboard charger on it.

Has anyone else on this forum had a Cross Sled boat? It looks like a classic to me.

What in the world were the 110 volt outlets for?, Never seen them on a boat unless it had a generator on it. Course I never saw one with the steering wheel turned sideways. I'd say you got a good deal and a head turner when you put it on the water. Always fun fixing one up to suit your needs. I am always doing something new to mine.
Enjoy.
SeaRay
PS
After reading your story I was thinking if you did not name it Legacy then "Destiny" would have been appropriate.
SeaRay

"G"
10-05-2012, 03:11 PM
How are you going to get 110v AC? Do you have a inverter or something on it ? Probably best just to get a 12 v dc cd player.....would be a lot less head ache.

SeaRay
10-05-2012, 03:28 PM
How are you going to get 110v AC? Do you have a inverter or something on it ? Probably best just to get a 12 v dc cd player.....would be a lot less head ache.

That was my thought also.Unless there is an inverter installed to convert the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC it may just be 12 volts DC. I would be sure and check with a voltmeter what was at the outlet before I plugged anything in to it.
SeaRay

shipahoy41
10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
All that is above my parade. That is why I took the boat to a marina to see what is going on. Worst case scenario....I go old school and use a battery operated cd player. Lol

That was my thought also.Unless there is an inverter installed to convert the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC it may just be 12 volts DC. I would be sure and check with a voltmeter what was at the outlet before I plugged anything in to it.
SeaRay

big minnow
10-05-2012, 03:56 PM
They may have just used 12 DC. And use outlet and plugs as a quick disconnect device.

shipahoy41
10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
They may have just used 12 DC. And use outlet and plugs as a quick disconnect device.

Again, I am not an electrician and all this talk is above my pay grade. I will post something when the marina tells me something.

kycreek
10-05-2012, 04:43 PM
That's probally it. Never heard of thatbrand before. Basically a stick steer with a wheel instead of a stick. Looks like a fish catching machine to me. :highfive

muzzy125acc
10-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Fine looking ride. Can't wait to see the fish pics from "The Legacy".

Sent from a Droid.

DrJohn
10-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks like you got a great deal...can't wait to see your first limit out of that boat!

"G"
10-05-2012, 07:33 PM

Yep....thats what I am thinking too

RetiredRR
10-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, I did notice anchors both fore and aft, so you got that settled already. Again, congrats. Lookin' forward to seeing you in it and on the
water.

mduncan62
10-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Looks like a great rig. I hope you dominate that crappie from it!

anchorpuller
10-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I LOVE your boat Ship! So happy for you.... can't wait to see some pictures of you ON the water catching. I can't imagine the inventions you will come up with for this one!

windstone
10-06-2012, 04:03 AM
go into ebay and type "steering wheel knob." that is what you need to make it easy to steer your boat. good luck. WS

Car Power Handle Steering Wheel Knob Clamp Suicide Grip Spinner Red | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Power-Handle-Steering-Wheel-Knob-Clamp-Suicide-Grip-Spinner-Red-/140862184083?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20cc0a5a93&vxp=mtr)

SlabLapper4sure
10-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Mike, congrats on the new boat! Looks great!Legecy is a great name!!You'll have slime on it before you know it!God Bless!

CrappiePappy
10-06-2012, 05:18 AM
Ship ... my youngest brother installed elec. sockets like those, on his boat .... instead of the "more expensive" cigarette charger type outlets. All he did was change the plugs on his lights (spotlight/blacklights) to the regular extension cord plug head. At least, that's what I think he did. I haven't seen the boat in awhile, so I'm going on memory.

If the wiring runs back to the 12V batteries : could that have been the former owner's oldschool idea ?? (use what he had on hand, rather than buy some newfangled gadget)

In any event ... if you keep them installed, you might want to consider some kind of waterproof covering for them. Or maybe replace them with an outdoor version ... one with flip-up covers ??

Something like this
http://www.ehow.co.uk/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/146/102/fotolia_263495_XS.jpg?w=300&h=300&keep_ratio=1

... cp :kewl

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Ship ... my youngest brother installed elec. sockets like those, on his boat .... instead of the "more expensive" cigarette charger type outlets. All he did was change the plugs on his lights (spotlight/blacklights) to the regular extension cord plug head. At least, that's what I think he did. I haven't seen the boat in awhile, so I'm going on memory.

If the wiring runs back to the 12V batteries : could that have been the former owner's oldschool idea ?? (use what he had on hand, rather than buy some newfangled gadget)

In any event ... if you keep them installed, you might want to consider some kind of waterproof covering for them. Or maybe replace them with an outdoor version ... one with flip-up covers ??

Something like this
http://www.ehow.co.uk/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/146/102/fotolia_263495_XS.jpg?w=300&h=300&keep_ratio=1

I like that idea cp and will pass it on to the marina. I was always taught that electricity and water do not mix. Lord forbid I take the boat out on the water and electricute my fool self. My wife will never forgive me. Still I have never seen anything like that on a boat. Perhaps that is what gave it character. Thank you my friend. DO you know any history on Crosby Sled boats?

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
I LOVE your boat Ship! So happy for you.... can't wait to see some pictures of you ON the water catching. I can't imagine the inventions you will come up with for this one!

I had special "Shipahoy 41" decals made for the motor and a special "The Legacy" along with mermaids made for the transom yesterday. I am working on a few things. I do like that storage area along the gunnels. It has given me many ideas but first things first. I have to get it seaworthy and get that boat cleaned up with water, bleach and orange cleaner. Then we will take it on the water and let the boat talk to me. Good hearing from you. Be blessed.

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Mike, congrats on the new boat! Looks great!Legecy is a great name!!You'll have slime on it before you know it!God Bless!

Thank you my friend. Have fun with those stingers I sent you. Catch a bunch but save one or two for me Steve.

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 07:27 AM
This is what I found on the history of Crosby Sled Boats.

To our knowledge, Ab Crosby was the main force behind two boat companies; Crosby Aeromarine Co. and Hydrodyne. We are focusing on the earlier business, the Crosby Aeromarine Co. We know the 1958 and later Crosby's were sold with serial plates indicating that:

1.) The line of boats were called the "Hoosier Line" of fiber glass boats.
2.) Ab Crosby's business was called Crosby Aeromarine Company.
3.) The Crosby Aeromarine Company was a division of Midwestern Industries inc. in Grabill, Indiana.

Through collecting empirical data from members of the Crosby Owners Group, it appears that for boats built in 1958 and later, all hulls and topsides were fiberglass. Pre-1958, chances are your topsides are wood.

Ab Crosby did not do much with the 50's rage of putting BIG fins on his boats. The one exception is the little 14' Sweptfin model, a little two seater rated for 48 hp. The Sweptfin also had a great looking "grill" that ran across the forward deck. We have not been able to locate anybody with knowledge of a Sweptfin to date. You can see one in the 1959 brochure, or on the Yankee Clippers chapter page, cutting (amazingly) across the clipper ship Flying Cloud's bow.

Crosby boats are known for their classic styling lines. The open runabout line's flagship was the 19' Baycomber. Then, there came the 18' Ranger, 17' Fish n'Ski, the 16' Capri and Seaquin models, the 14' Sportsman and 14' and later 15' Hurricane models, 14' Angler (no wheel), and the 14' Sweptfin. Crosby also made closed cruising models including the 17' Cruisette, the 19' Voyageur, and the top of the line 25' Antiqua. The Antigua, Voyageur, Cruisette and Baycomber all utilized motor brackets rather than attaching the motor to the transom. This provided more space in the boats and allowed for larger seating capacity.

Crosby construction was stong and solid. The company used balsa and mahogany for cores and stringers. The balsa was light and strong and made for good cores. Today, however, we find that if these old boats were not stored properly, theres a good chance of core damage and delamination. It can be repaired, but does involve a lot of work, and knowledge of how to repair these condictions.

Crosby offered a couple of different levels in most of the models. The standard models were typically called the "Deluxe" and included bow and stern handles, bow chocks, stern cleats, all around rub rail with polished trim brackets, towing eye, left and right front control mounts, and double gas tank and battery tray.

The higher level model was called the "Custom" and included everything in the Deluxe plus windshield with chrome brackets, single cable steering, harmonizing color upholstery, bow light and staff, stern light on a flagstaff, bow pennant, ensign, and step pads. Electrical wires were molded into the glass in both models.

Further, different finishes were offered. For example, for $50 extra, you could get a "Tu-tone" deck (white over your base color). There were also many, many accesories offered.

The Crosby Owners Group, to date, has turned up the following models which are represented in the group; Hurricane, Capri, Sportsman, and Baycomber. Some are pre-1958 and are the "half and halfs". Others are post-1958 and are all glass.

We also believe we know of a Ranger model in San Diego and a Fish n' Ski in New York that are for sale. We have found another Hurricane and a Seaquin in boat junk yards waiting for owners, although these boats need LOTS of work to make them safe to operate again. A number of the boats in the Crosby Owners Group are undergoing renovations now. The pictures posted represent current status. Visit again and again to watch the progress as these wonderful old boats are brought back from the brink.

Crosby Sleds

I think it's important to spend a few minutes on these boats. The Crosby Sled, other than the Crosby name, has nothing to do with Ab Crosby. After Ab sold Crosby to ADM, ADM continued to make Crosby boats until the early 60's when the company went belly up. The Crosby name was sold to a manufacturer in FL who started producing the Crosby Sled. This was a very popular line of fishing boats in the south. Crosby Sleds were made until around 1967 when a fire destroyed the manufacturing plant. Because the Crosby Sled uses Ab's name, and because they are a boat from the 60's we think they should be included in the site.

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 07:34 AM
They were marketed as the Unsinkables.

Herewego
10-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Congrats on a nice boat.

Jrsmith
10-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Excellent research Ship, I was about to tell you a little about it but youve got it covered already!. look on youtube if you havent already, there are some videos of Crosby Sleds. Hydrodynes were more popular than the Crosby, they were the ski boat line. I come from 2 previous generations of outboard/marine mechanics and history (my father and grandfather) my grandfather was in the Navy then when he got out went to work in the office with Carl Kiekhaefer of Mercury Marine for several years. He even held a world speed record for an outboard motor for a brief period of time.(kinda funny, one of the first people to ever break 70mph in an outboard over a Loooong stretch of water, now we run 1,000ft in 7.17 seconds at 122mph.) My grandfather branched out from Mercury Marine offices and opened up a Marine dealership specializing small family sized fishing boats and Mercury motors all the way up to the mid 90's. Now my father and I have been working on just the outboards every since. Dad owned the big dealership for several yrs but sold out due to health reasons, we still just tinker on motors for fun.

river scum
10-06-2012, 08:29 AM
cool looking boat ship! that name "crosby" is accualy from my home town. they sold the rights to the name somewhere around 60. after that they changed the name to "hydrodyne boats". i worked for them in the late 80s, in between construction jobs. man fiberglass work sucks. lol enjoy your boat!!!!

Cane Pole
10-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Nice fishing "ship" Ship. :cheers2 It makes me feel good that you feel good. It it just something special about feeling good about your pals.

MeanV2
10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Amen! :)

Dan

Nice fishing "ship" Ship. :cheers2 It makes me feel good that you feel good. It it just something special about feeling good about your pals.

shipahoy41
10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
cool looking boat ship! that name "crosby" is accualy from my home town. they sold the rights to the name somewhere around 60. after that they changed the name to "hydrodyne boats". i worked for them in the late 80s, in between construction jobs. man fiberglass work sucks. lol enjoy your boat!!!!

I will have to research the hydrodyne boats to get other ideas. Thank you for the information.

zrdc28
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
The Crosby sled boats were one of the more popular boats in North Alabama in the mid and late 1960's . I owned a 1964 model that was turquoise in
color with a 18 hp evinrude motor. They were very light in weight but very stable, me and my dad caught probably tons of fish out of it over the 15 years
that i kept the boat. I did knock a few holes in the bottom from hitting rocks etc. but I would just take some fiberglass cloth and resin and repair them.
I would just lift the front of the boat and drill a hole in the back of the transom and let it drain for a few days then repair the hole with resin. I had a good
friend that kept a 1965 model until his death 2 years ago that was used every week for 40 years.
In the 1960,s there were not all of these plugs that we have now and most people used the 120 volt plugs hooked to the battery for their accessories.
The Crosby Sled boats were great boats that bring back many good memories, I know that you will enjoy it!
Be Safe!

"G"
10-06-2012, 12:01 PM
sounds like a classic boat for a classic fisherman

zrdc28
10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
That boat came with a stick steer that was broken or something, you can find that stick for it on ebay or craigs list, all that is needed is the stick itself
or you could easily make one.

Crappieawlogist
10-06-2012, 04:22 PM
That is one great boat Ship! Look forward to seeing you make it shine

"G"
10-06-2012, 04:56 PM
That boat came with a stick steer that was broken or something, you can find that stick for it on ebay or craigs list, all that is needed is the stick itself
or you could easily make one.

Thats kinda what I thought also......be easier to drive with a stick steering control

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

zrdc28
10-06-2012, 06:23 PM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAJgAAAEXCAIAAAD eMRrPAAAAA3NCSVQICAjb4U/gAAAACXBIWXMAAA7EAAAOxAGVKw4bAAAEuUlEQVR4nO3c0XKbM BQAUdTJ//8yfWDCMHGCJZDQves9b526qcxaisDYZV3XRfn9mz0A9WFICENC GBLCkBCGhPiaPYAOSil//dXnnFwlDrn3O6lV8xiGkvQZltI28tbHp5Pv6W2T7MKwL//DFJKFvD+xqFPTXStEppBdJtO6rie73LzShOy4JCJbpgmpczlCd t+h8CZljpB6y5AQhoQwJIQhIXKE7L7J5F2oyxFSb6UJ2XFS8qb jkijk0qklsuKS+g6Bo/PAyHI/JAu5T8rXNn/V2huz31hOFnL5LuGtHj/kC7k5/r58e/MVvuKS7laPX53fDvkJFZe8M/Loc2qdyHT6oROGhDAkhCEhDAlhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQwJ YUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEISEMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDA lhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQwJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEISEM CWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDAlhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQ wJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEISEMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEh DAlhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQwJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEIS EMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDAlhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQh IQwJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEISEMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhC EhDAlhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQwJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSE ISEMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDAlhSAhDQnzNHsB1pZSTP3 6asq7r7DE0ONaqGXnr4/PKEXLvcWe0XX5IWNFDbke/7yBH/Mzp4oYcfbhhOYOGLOWhgT32H40W8fTjyYO7ritjuxvr9ThruQM ss4FCXpuIv86na08q9TKb9YLA+bkE+0zjV1Feg/WzoWkZbF0z807KEONuqnht+cW3TLO03tmP7FvTjIUqzX/11cyAXrOk8udknJSTZ2TMQ7bN4G1gr7vigANepoes0TH2sVDTv zoOpstIupt5ZefJRXVXeSkn3RWfiJfodEHokIN+g6abbTWmhYy 5zTnK1XvI0Uz0/CvtRyns62/UrvX+Lmb0Iavcao0bQF+hf0eqniETOy4Yhkzs+KvBkBCGhDAkx KjTj5qN+9vHjN79Jzq7eGtIyF7v+Y07lax/Y3KJ+r7VDy6tENNC1lzJHHS1E3mfgDMSInrI7pMy1zyrN/lZPbzKXbjv0nt2IGJmezV/nXnmTKD1/vTph6VViBF7p/l9yZbW1nvGE53R3xTl1dc6DwZ9GivpdFzihFz8fOQ9yZbWV3kP fV+xXoN+9PyyWCE3Dy9xqVfUXcRLdE/eGcyouMSckRu/MKlJ3JAbv8KsUvSQG79U8K0cIXd+zedfkoU8qvy86gMjiSBxSB 1FPP3QBYaEMCSEISEMCWHIZjE/MeLpB4QzEsKQEIaEMCSEISEMCWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDA lhSAhDQhgSwpAQhoQwJIQhIQwJYUgIQ0IYEsKQEIaEMCSEISEM CWFICENCGBLCkBCGhDAkhCEhDAnxH7fKC/DXj0tdAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCThis a basic drawing of the stick on my Crosby from memory 35 years ago!

Cray
10-06-2012, 09:21 PM
When I was stationed in CorpusChristi Texas in 69 I commercial fished on the side. Used to run nets with a guy who had one of those with a tiller handle 33 evenrude. That was one tough boat and handled very well. You have a fine boat there Ship. I'm going to date myself for sure here but I remember that old trolling motor you have there. That looks like a late 60,s early 70,s model Shakspere foot control. One of the first. Those plugs were probably installed for trolling motor. I did the same thing on a 69 Kingfisher I had back in early 70's.

skeetbum
10-06-2012, 09:42 PM
In FL we used those outlets for lights for shrimping and other things that required 12v. An inverter would eat the battery rather quickly. You are looking forward to yet another chapter in your fishing life, and this one will make for some good reading. Congrats on the new ride. tight lines and full livewells.

shipahoy41
10-07-2012, 06:35 AM
In FL we used those outlets for lights for shrimping and other things that required 12v. An inverter would eat the battery rather quickly. You are looking forward to yet another chapter in your fishing life, and this one will make for some good reading. Congrats on the new ride. tight lines and full livewells.

A big "THANK YOU" to all of my c.com friends who have posted on this thread. I value all of your opinions. It is nice to know some of the history of this classic boat I have. It should be back from the marina sometime late this week and I can start to detail and clean it up. Keep the comments coming as I enjoy reading about them. Also, if any of you have photos of your own or your family's Crosby Sled boats you are invited to post them on this thread for memory and historical putposes.

shipahoy41
10-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Something like this

October 8, 2012

I went by the marina today. There is no inverter. The plugs were wired directly to the battery. They are 12 volt plugs. enough to run a small radio etc. I took new weatherproof plugs over and a weatherproof outdoor cap to them to install. I will know more about the motor etc later this week. Hope to have "The Legacy" home by the weekend so I can start to detail the boat.

Here is information on the hydronyne boats. Interesting reads. There are several fascinating history facts associated with Hydrodyne boats that Ab Crosby's son (Ab Crosby) has confirmed. http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Hydrodyne

1.) 5 of the 7 original astronauts owned Hydrodyne boats.
2.) A large photo of a Hydrodyne hung at NASA headquarters for years.
3.) Jacqueline Kennedy took delivery of a 1963 Hydrodyne the day that President Kennedy was shot and killed. To our knowledge that boat is still somewhere on the Maryland shore
http://www.bing.com/search?q=hydrodyne+boats&form=DLRDF8&pc=MDDR&src=IE-SearchBox

The Crosby Sled, other than the Crosby name, has nothing to do with Ab Crosby. After Ab sold Crosby to ADM, ADM continued to make Crosby boats until the early 60's when the company went belly up. The Crosby name was sold to a manufacturer in FL who started producing the Crosby Sled. This was a very popular line of fishing boats in the south. Crosby Sleds were made until around 1967 when a fire destroyed the manufacturing plant.

Bowler
10-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Now all you need is one of them old paneled station wagons to pull it with.

huntinslabs
10-08-2012, 03:51 PM

Exactly!! Had em in my old skiff. Boat now just has a three outlet extension cord run up under the front deck fer my lights.

flintcreek
10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Shipahoy41,
Those old Crosby Sleds are great boats ride and handle rough water better than a 14' x 48" flatbottom in my opinion. They also are a smooth ride don't beat you up like a flatbottom. I had a 64 model with 20 hp. Johnson and traded it for a car about 8 years ago, was a good trade for me but that is still probably one of my most favorite boats of all time and I usually own 2 most of the time. Me and my boys had alot of fun fishing out of it and the old Johnson motors are dependable and easy to work on.....you have a great crappie rig. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your catches.

Flintcreek

OutdoorWilly
10-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Can't wait to see pictures of it all rigged up.

shipahoy41
10-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Shipahoy41,
Those old Crosby Sleds are great boats ride and handle rough water better than a 14' x 48" flatbottom in my opinion. They also are a smooth ride don't beat you up like a flatbottom. I had a 64 model with 20 hp. Johnson and traded it for a car about 8 years ago, was a good trade for me but that is still probably one of my most favorite boats of all time and I usually own 2 most of the time. Me and my boys had alot of fun fishing out of it and the old Johnson motors are dependable and easy to work on.....you have a great crappie rig. Look forward to seeing some pictures of your catches.

Flintcreek

Thank you. Please post some photos of your old Cross Sled boats on this thread. We would love to see them. Welcome from Alabama.

shipahoy41
10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
October 9, 2012

Got some wonderful news fron the marina. The motor is in pretty good shape. It needs just a water pump and a tuneup. One anchor puller is being replaced today as well as installing the Echo fishfinder in place of the flasher unit. The person who repairs that motor will work on it Friday.

BamaFan
10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
That boat brings back allot of memories! My uncle has a Crosby Sled with a 18HP Evinrude tiller handle. His boat is sky blue with a speckle interior. 40+ yrs ago we caught many a crappie and bream from that boat! He still has the rig but I bet it has been 20yrs or more since it has been in the water. The boat is in the barn and he uses it as a storage container!:dono Nothing wrong with it but he just never gets rid of anything! Enjoy Ship, you got a nice ride!:cool:

dandeman
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the great find Ship!

I look forward to some of the pics you'll post of some of the catches you'll have from it. Enjoy it as you make memories in Legacy!

big minnow
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Hey ship, don't throw those old original parts away. Those old orignal parts are worth something.

shipahoy41
10-09-2012, 04:00 PM
That boat brings back allot of memories! My uncle has a Crosby Sled with a 18HP Evinrude tiller handle. His boat is sky blue with a speckle interior. 40+ yrs ago we caught many a crappie and bream from that boat! He still has the rig but I bet it has been 20yrs or more since it has been in the water. The boat is in the barn and he uses it as a storage container!:dono Nothing wrong with it but he just never gets rid of anything! Enjoy Ship, you got a nice ride!:cool:

Thank you my friend. There have been a lot of nice comments on the Cross Sled. More photos next week.

shipahoy41
10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Hey ship, don't throw those old original parts away. Those old orignal parts are worth something.

Ok.

papasage
10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Yep. The one on my boat is similar but it looks like it is a 1983 model. We are adding a dual 110 outlet on the boat for my cd player and additional lighting. Pictures will start again in about two weeks after I get it back from the marina. Does anyone else have a boat with the steering wheel mounted on one side and the throttle controls on the other side like mine? I looked for what type of boat it is but at first glance I can not see a name.

met a fisherman on lake blacksher one night that had on and he had it installed like that said he liked it better than a stick .
had a crosby sled . yraded my soninlaw out of it . never run it . traded it to some one to do some work on my building .

shipahoy41
10-09-2012, 08:17 PM
These are the only old photos of a Crosby Sled Boat I have found on the net, I hope others will post photos of Crosby Sled boats their family had to document this boat and to give me some ideas. The cleanup on mine starts when it comes back from the marina.

flintcreek
10-09-2012, 09:03 PM
The 64 model I had was the same color....I will have to see If I have any pictures.

shipahoy41
10-10-2012, 06:28 AM
The 64 model I had was the same color....I will have to see If I have any pictures.

Thanks. Welcome from Alabama

shipahoy41
10-12-2012, 01:17 PM
October 12, 2012 Progress report.

We have applied the new truck graphics

This shows the installation of the trolling motor mount

This is the tuning of the engine and installing water pump

We had to put "Shipahoy 41" on the motor

Installing Depth finders

shipahoy41
10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
October 12, 2012 continued

Old flasher unit removal, install starting and trolling motor batteries.

Finishing trolling motor installation, checking fore and aft lighting, checking 12 v outlets.

Next week we will add on board dual charging units.

Blackhawk19
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Ship, I can't wait to see it when your done!

"G"
10-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Dadgummit Ship........keep the pics coming as I am as excited as you are about this boat.

shipahoy41
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Here is a better photo of the depth finder I installed.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/Installdepthfinder-1.jpg

Wind Knot
10-12-2012, 04:50 PM
I would stain/seal your trolling motor mount to match the woodgrain on the side.

shipahoy41
10-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I would stain/seal your trolling motor mount to match the woodgrain on the side.

Excellent idea. I like.it.

olduckhunter
10-12-2012, 07:49 PM
ship, i guess you'll have to pm me your email addy. i cannot reply to my pm's or start a new one to you. i'll answer you by email.

shipahoy41
10-12-2012, 08:05 PM
ship, i guess you'll have to pm me your email addy. i cannot reply to my pm's or start a new one to you. i'll answer you by email.

You may have to go to your inbox and delete a lot of messages. Do the same for your sent messages. Delete those you do not need. I will pm my email to you.

SeaRay
10-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Ship,
Love your project. You might want to hold onto the old flasher DF. Some folks, especially ice fishermen prefer them ove the new ones. Might sell it or trade it to one of the hard water fishermen.
Where did you get the decals made? Like the ones the motor, might get some made for my boat. I have the Crappie.com decals, the other ones are what I am asking about.
SeaRay

shipahoy41
10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
SeaRay,

I went to a place that does truck lettering and had it made. I got the idea from Jimmy Houston many years ago. I had one on my bass tracker back in 1994. The old flasher unit will be sent to Olduckhunter on this board. Wendell is such an inspiration to me and a true friend.

shipahoy41
10-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Dadgummit Ship........keep the pics coming as I am as excited as you are about this boat.

When I went to register my boat I found out it is a 1970 Crosby Sled boat, open cabin, with a 1971 Johnson 25 hp motor on it. The Alabama boat registration certificate number is AL-0980-XW. David pictures will really flow starting next Wednesday when the boat comes out of the marina. We are waiting on one more inboard charger to be delivered. As of October 19th we have installed the trolling motor, the depth finder, added a custom steering wheel cover, two batteries, two on board chargers, tuned the engine, added a water pump, added graphics and decals, and had a special oar made for emergencies. The front and rear anchor pullers have been redone. I have added three fishing rod holders, as well as a boat cover for outside storage. The front and rear lights also have been refurbished. Look for photos next Thursday and Friday.

SeaRay
10-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Ship I know you said electronics were not your strong suit, but I am puzzled by your comment about needning one more on board charger. The beauty of on board chargers is you only need one for up to 3 batteries. You just need to buy what ever number of bank charger that fits your needs, For instance if you have 2 12 volt batteries on your boat, as I do, then one 2 bank charger will handle both batteries simultaneously. They even adjust their rate of charge to suit the needs of the battery.
Say your trolling motor battery was 80% drained and the starting battery was 20% down, the charger would sent 80% of its capacity to the trolling motor battery and 20% to the start battery.
Why don't you ask your dealer that is doing the work if he can't install one 2 (or 3) bank charger? That way you only have to plug in one charger and it stays it the boat all the time ready for you to plug in anytime you need to charge up.
SeaRay

shipahoy41
10-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Ship I know you said electronics were not your strong suit, but I am puzzled by your comment about needning one more on board charger. The beauty of on board chargers is you only need one for up to 3 batteries. You just need to buy what ever number of bank charger that fits your needs, For instance if you have 2 12 volt batteries on your boat, as I do, then one 2 bank charger will handle both batteries simultaneously. They even adjust their rate of charge to suit the needs of the battery.
Say your trolling motor battery was 80% drained and the starting battery was 20% down, the charger would sent 80% of its capacity to the trolling motor battery and 20% to the start battery.
Why don't you ask your dealer that is doing the work if he can't install one 2 (or 3) bank charger? That way you only have to plug in one charger and it stays it the boat all the time ready for you to plug in anytime you need to charge up.
SeaRay

Thanks SeaRay. The on board chargers the marina carried are only adapted for one thing. He could not put a coupling on it to wire to the trolling motor battery. The dual charger was available but the price was around $400.00 for that unit. I opted to go for the two individual on board charger units at $44.00 each. One will do the trolling motor and one is set up to do the engine start battery. One has already been installed and one is on back order. They are installed on the boat itself and all I have to do is plug them in the night before I go fishing.

"G"
10-19-2012, 04:47 PM
I leave mine plugged up 24/7 only time its unplugged is when I go fishing. I have a MinnKota 330D three bank automatic onboard charger.

MeanV2
10-19-2012, 08:47 PM
My charger stays plugged 24/7 unless I am on the water also. Lookin Good Ship!

Dan

"G"
10-20-2012, 08:28 AM
You sure don't want to wait untill the night before you go fishing to plug them in.....Deep cycle batteries need to be fully charged within 24 hours after being used to get longivity out of them.

skiptomylu
10-20-2012, 09:45 AM
You need to make sure it's a really good charger to leave them hooked up all the time. I am going to get a better one for my batteries since now Optima has a charger made for doing just that. I know some of the older auto chargers would ruin your battery if you left them hooked up all the time. They make one that is for maintaining your battery.

Good luck Ship

shipahoy41
10-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Skip and G,

The charger(s) I got was from the boat marina. I will post photos of the boat next week with all the stuff that was done. I did not know you left them plugged in 24/7. Twelve years ago when I had my tracker I would only plug them in 2 days before fishing. I figured I did not want to overcharge the batteries or ruin the charger. Thanks for letting me know they can stay plugged in.

"G"
10-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I do not know what kind you have Ship......read your instruction manual and see what it says. Most of the better onboard chargers today you leave pluged up......they will not over charge. They charge up in steps so they will not boil the batterys dry and then they cut off and moniter the voltage.....at a specific voltage drop they will cut back on again automatically. I have had several and in my opinion the DualPro brand and the MinnKota is as good as you can get.

skeetbum
10-20-2012, 07:51 PM
What G said was spot on. The old chargers weren't what we have available today. I bought a 3 bank charger from BPS, pro-mite brand I believe, and gave about $200 for it. They are made with an automatic "maintenance" mode they go to once full charge is met. The only down side to leaving them plugged up 24/7 is electrical storms or surges, they will take out a charger. You're coming right along with your project, looking good . Fish stories aren't far off.

skiptomylu
10-20-2012, 10:26 PM
What "G" and skeetbum said!

Use to even the ones that said auto would ruin your batteries. I don't keep mind hooked up now full time, but after every use of the TM I charge them, but I want one of the kind of costly Maintainer/chargers that Optima makes and you can leave them hooked up all the time and they just charge if needed otherwise they maintain them. They say it will add longer life to your batteries so don't need to replace them as often.

shipahoy41
10-21-2012, 07:16 AM
That is what is so nice about my friends here on c.com because they freely share their knowledge Like I said it has been a decade and a half since I had to worry about boating. Times certainly have changed and I appreciate all of you bring me up to speed. I appreciate the marina taking my vision and helping bring this project to life. I went to Long Lewis Ford on Friday to look at a F-150 (used) to pull the boat. This is mentioned because the used car/truck sales manager still owns his 1964 Crosby Sled and said he would never get rid of it. He absolutely loves it. I told him about the c.com forums and he will be checking in. No I did not buy a truck from him. I was looking for a 2004 F-150 and the "oldest" they had on the lot was a 2009. I will look again Monday and I am hoping the final parts are in and I can bring the Crosby Sled boat home on Wednesday. I have to finish cleaning it so pictures of it can be taken and I can take it and introduce "The Legacy" to my favorite fishing waters. Be patient folks. God is not finished with me yet. It takes time to do things right. My biggest inspiration was that thread that Mrs. Crappiestalker did http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/179309-ongoing-boat-project.html and the one Anchorpuller did when she restored and rebuilt her dream fishing machine. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/63703-come-laugh-stupid-woman.html http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/91495-did-i-bite-off-more-than-i-could-chew.html Motivation comes in many forms. I even looked at some of the things Cane Pole did. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/219726-riggin-my-jon-boat-pics.html

Anyway, I have had fun watching my dream boat take shape. Thanks again to all of you for your ideas, thoughts and suggestions. I appreciate you all. The big reveal of "Shipahoy 41's Legacy" the Crosby Sled boat will happen this week. Stay tuned for the photos. I hope you like it.

skeetbum
10-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Just some input Mike. I pull a 17'8" bass boat with a 150 with a 2000 GMC Jimmy with a 4.3 v-6. Best part is I get 22 mpg without the boat. The extended cab pickup or blazer/jimmy would do very well for towing "The Legacy".

MDCrappie
10-21-2012, 07:01 PM
For a 1971 Johnson that is one CLEAN motor. Doesn't look like the cover was off much.

October 12, 2012 Progress report.

This is the tuning of the engine and installing water pump

shipahoy41
10-21-2012, 07:34 PM
MDCrappie, the boat was garaged for ten years I am told. skeetbum, mama said trade in my Ford Ranger and get a used F150. After 43 years of marriage I tend to trust her insite. Besides, if mama ain't happy then no one is happy. I will look tomorrow and see what I can find. My second choice will be the Nissan Frontier.

MDCrappie
10-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Ship - I wouldn't worry about the truck. Right now I have 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl 2wd base truck and I pull an 1800 Maycraft. It strains a bit on I95 but I take the O/D off and I can sty 55/60 without problem. Pulling out of ramp is easy also. That boat should not tax that ranger at all.

shipahoy41
10-22-2012, 06:38 AM
Ship - I wouldn't worry about the truck. Right now I have 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4cyl 2wd base truck and I pull an 1800 Maycraft. It strains a bit on I95 but I take the O/D off and I can sty 55/60 without problem. Pulling out of ramp is easy also. That boat should not tax that ranger at all.

I know that my friend. The point is that my wife thinks the F150 would be safer. Now who am I to argue with my wife when she says get a truck upgrade? I was born at night ...but it was not last night. LOL Who do you think really wants the F150 even if it is pre owned??? I got to keep mama happy now don't I? The trick is to do it without smiling too much as I look for one this morning.

kycreek
10-22-2012, 08:44 AM
You're a smart man. :notworthy

bwomack_29
10-22-2012, 12:49 PM
amen to that. "mama aint happy nobody's happy" lol

shipahoy41
10-22-2012, 03:57 PM

People this is my truck upgrade. I traded in my 1999 Ranger reg cab and bought this one.

It is a 2002 Ranger with just 65,000 miles. Mama is happy. I think she just wanted a prettier truck. LOL. She saw this one and said "WOW!" so I got it for us and gave her a key to it too. SHe still has her own Nissan. I still have my own LaCrosse. I am happy with my fishing truck. Now I have to go and get my boat on Thursday. I am naming the truck "Redman."

MeanV2
10-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Sweet Ship! Things are looking Good! :)
Dan

"G"
10-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Looks great Ship.....Don't put your C.C decals on the tailgate like you did your other truck.....put them on the back window.

"D"
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Ship, you have a lot of friends and supporters on C.C I'm new but I feel the goodwill. I just put some stickers on my boat as well as wore a C.C hat and tshirt fishing today. Side note, caught about 20 crappie/goggle eye mix and a 15.01 lb blue cat. Released the cat and made 2 guys very happy at the landing with the rest. Okay, back on point. I love to fish. Always have. Sounds like I lucked up and found a great site to read, learn and shaI look forward to reading your posts and looking at your pictures for years to come. re. A bunch of like minded, clean spirited guys and gals. I'm hoping to make a visit with the bunch going to Toledo Bend, as I have a camp not to far from the gathering place. I look forward to reading your posts for years to come . Take care and good fishing. You already know catching is just a bonus. Danny

drifterdon
10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
That is going to look mighty fine when the Redman pulls The Legacy to the lake.

shipahoy41
10-23-2012, 06:15 AM
That is going to look mighty fine when the Redman pulls The Legacy to the lake.

Amen brother. I have waited a very long time to get back in my own boat. Now, I guess I am old enough and have a smart enough wife who says it is ok to go for what you really want this year. The boat and truck are our Christmas presents to ourselves this year. We have never seen a brinks truck in a funeral procession. My son keeps reminding me that I am 13 years from being 80. Enough said. LOL Crappies had better watch out. I have been fairly good from shore for the past dozen years. Now they have to run and tell everybody that "Old Ship" is coming after then in a boat! ....LOL

shipahoy41
10-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I will pick it up from the marina Friday. Repairs were x3 the amount I paid for the boat but I pray it is money well spent. Thank you for caring. New photos will be shown next week my friends.

windstone
10-23-2012, 07:23 PM
good luck sir, your on my watch list.........

shipahoy41
10-24-2012, 06:13 AM
good luck sir, your on my watch list.........

This was not luck. This was a blessing from God himself. I know I mentioned Anchorpuller, Mrs. CrappieStalker and CanePole before but I just want to mention them here again for those who missed it the first time. There is a joy in making old things new again. It takes time to do things right. My biggest inspiration was that thread Anchorpuller did when she restored and rebuilt her dream fishing machine. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/63703-come-laugh-stupid-woman.html Mrs. CrappieStalker posted http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/179309-ongoing-boat-project.html. Anchorpuller also posted this thread http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/91495-did-i-bite-off-more-than-i-could-chew.html. Motivation comes in many forms. I even looked at some of the things Cane Pole did. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/219726-riggin-my-jon-boat-pics.html Individuals like those mentioned inspire me.

Now on to my check list of things that had to be done to make this boat fishable again. ** means major or critical repair work

1) Get the boat to the marina repair shop........................done
2) Repack and regrease trailer wheels............................done
3) ** Reweld faulty area on the trailer................................done
4) ** Rebuild back transom so it will hold a motor............done
5) ** Remove and replace water pump in the engine.......done
6) Tune up on the engine............................................ . done
7) Reconnect steering wheel linkage........................... done
8) Install trolling motor board mount......................... done
9) Install 43 lb thrust trolling motor.......................... done
10) Remove flasher unit depth finder........................ done
11) Install new Echo depth color depth finder............ done
12) Check floor foam installation............................... done
13) **Rewire fore and aft lighting systems................... done
14) Install on board chargers...................................... done
15) Install starting battery......................................... done
16) Install trolling motor battery................................. done
17) Wire batteries to on board chargers....................... done
18) Install three rod holders....................................... done
19) Replace ropes on the fore and aft anchorpuller........ done
20) Apply "Shipahoy 41" decal on the motor................. done
21) Put on steering wheel cover................................. done
22) Purchase a tarp for the boat...................................

Total cost of marina done items to make this boat safe and fishable $1300.00 (Included $450 parts and $750 labor) Most of the labor was in rebuilding the back transom, rewiring the boat and installing the trolling motor mount and motor) Uncle Sam got the rest!

Things to do when it gets home tomorrow..
21) Clean and detail the boat..................................
22) Apply c.com decals .........................................
23) Apply "Legacy" decal .....................................
24) Insure the boat with Allstate
25) Take photos of the completed project
26) GO FISHING !!!!

"G"
10-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Way to go Ship

Jrsmith
10-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Awesome, look forward to seeing the pics and even more forward to hearing about its "maiden voyage" thats what always satisfies me is after a project i know I did myself and put time, money, and effort into just to take it out and enjoy the fruits of my labor!!! Good Luck Ship

Wind Knot
10-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Ship-
I was insured through Allstate with my rig for several years and they kept raising my rates despite not having any incidents of any kind, driving on the road or otherwise. Other message boards highly recommended Worldwide Marine Underwriters. I gave them a call and I'm glad I did. I got more coverage and more sensible coverage (for equipment and such) for less money. Plus, the person I was talking to on the other end of the line knew how much my stuff cost! I'd highly recommend giving them a shout after you get a quote with Allstate.

shipahoy41
10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Good advice for everyone to know. Thanks.

shipahoy41
10-25-2012, 07:06 AM
October 25, 2012

"Old Red" is home. He is going to get "The Legacy" this afternoon and bring her home to be cleaned. More photos soon. Are all of you enjoying the tease and awaiiting the big reveal or am I drawing this out too much for you "G" ? If so, don't pay it no mind. It is just "Old Ship" enjoying the moment. I promise the next photos after this post will be of the completed prpoject. Everybody stay tuned. I hope you have enjoyed reading this thread. Thank all of you once again for all of your valuable input in helping me find a boat, then giving me great ideas of things I might do to restore an old antique boat like the Crosby Sled. I especially want to once again publically thank Anchorpuller, Mrs. CrappieStalker and CanePole for posting what they did on their boat restoration projects. Those were great sources of information. Most of all I want to thank all the many Crappie who have waited patiently for these twelve long years for "Old Ship" to once again have his own boat and be able to go after them. I can hear them talking now. Old ship is coming after you...... "I do not have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you."

"G"
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM
We are waiting to see the pics after you have slimed the boat up with limits of fish.

Rees Guide
10-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Nuttin like "sliming up" a new to you rig, I had a blast helping Rducks slime his new rig up!!!:Rofl
Ship, its been a pleasure to follow your thread, wish you many great days in "The Legacy".

"G"
10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Now you need a spider rig set up and 4. ...14 ft BnM Capps and Coleman rods

6poundtest
10-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Looks like a 2 car garage to me. With the "Legacy" in one bay and "Old Red" in the other, your wife will have to park her car in the driveway for the rest of forever, right? :Rofl

Blackhawk19
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Looks like a 2 car garage to me. With the "Legacy" in one bay and "Old Red" in the other, your wife will have to park her car in the driveway for the rest of forever, right? :Rofl

Sounds like a plan to me:cheers2:cheers2 Lookin forward to the pics Ship

windstone
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
i just got a feeling that car deal is not gonna fly....

"G"
10-25-2012, 02:12 PM
naw.....his wifes car and his BMW is in the garage.....he has to park the boat and his truck outside

shipahoy41
10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Wife nixed that deal. She said HER car and the LaCrosse stay in the garage. Redman and the boat stay outside. I will get a boat cover on Legacy tonight. I have Legacy in the yard now. We start cleaning and detailing tomorrow with photographs by tomorrow night hopefully.

"G"
10-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Build a boat shed in the back yard while mama is in such a good mood

Bob # 1
10-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Been following the thread with great interest and congradulations are way over due.

Now here is some advise.
1. Don't leave fishing gear in boat..........no explantion necessary
2. As G said get yourself a boat shed (locked) no explantion necessary
3. Get yourself a big mean dog, with sign "Mean dog" no explantion necessary

http://www.thedogsbreeds.com/gallery/tibetan-mastiff/tibetan_mastiff_3.jpg

shipahoy41
10-25-2012, 04:58 PM
She will probably get a tiny dog. ****zu or Chi - wa - wa. LOL. That wa - wa is me crying.

drifterdon
10-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Just don't go and do anything to have to sleep out there too:notworthy

RetiredRR
10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Waiting.............holdin' my breath............waiting...........waiting....... ..waiting...............waiting...................

"G"
10-25-2012, 07:38 PM
She will probably get a tiny dog. ****zu or Chi - wa - wa. LOL. That wa - wa is me crying.

get a long haired dog so you will have jig tieing material:biggrin

skeetbum
10-25-2012, 11:15 PM

What he said. Boogers experience in east TN was enough to convince me. They even took his prop. CDC folks got him going again in short order. Everybody isn't like us, take precautions.

shipahoy41
10-26-2012, 07:07 AM

What he said. Boogers experience in east TN was enough to convince me. They even took his prop. CDC folks got him going again in short order. Everybody isn't like us, take precautions.

#4 Have a Tech Nine at your bedside
#5 Electrify your fence
#6 Hire "G" as your night time security guard
#7 Get some boat insurance

Seriously, We will not leave any valuables or electronics on the boat. They will be locked in the shed. If someone steals from me then remember what the good book the Bible (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth) says in I Chronicles 16:22-23 "He suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes, Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm." Romans 12: 19 tells me that God himself will take care of the thief after man gets through with him. "Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord."

We will do all we can to protect The Legacy. Mama just said ..."NO DOG!"

"G"
10-26-2012, 07:16 AM
You still need a shed though. Boat covers are good for short term use.....longer than that....they sweat and cause mold and mildew problems. Mine is just a open shed but it keeps the rain and direct sun off of it.

bwomack_29
10-26-2012, 04:19 PM
So ship did u get your boat back yet? Waiting on some pics

shipahoy41
10-26-2012, 05:12 PM
So ship did u get your boat back yet? Waiting on some pics

Less than five hours my friend. They will be posted tonight.

shipahoy41
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
HERE ARE THE PHOTOS OF MY CROSBY SLED BOAT THAT ALL OF YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR. First, I want to repost something in case some of you missed this on a previous page....then I will immediately show all the photos. ITt will be in two consecutive posts.

This was not luck. This was a blessing from God himself. I know I mentioned Anchorpuller, Mrs. CrappieStalker and CanePole before but I just want to mention them here again for those who missed it the first time. There is a joy in making old things new again. It takes time to do things right. My biggest inspiration was that thread Anchorpuller did when she restored and rebuilt her dream fishing machine. Come laugh at the stupid woman Mrs. CrappieStalker posted Ongoing boat project. Anchorpuller also posted this thread Did I bite off more than I could chew?. Motivation comes in many forms. I even looked at some of the things Cane Pole did. Riggin' my Jon Boat...pics Individuals like those mentioned inspire me.

Now on to my check list of things that had to be done to make this boat fishable again. ** means major or critical repair work

1) Get the boat to the marina repair shop........................done
2) Repack and regrease trailer wheels............................done
3) ** Reweld faulty area on the trailer................................done
4) ** Rebuild back transom so it will hold a motor............done
5) ** Remove and replace water pump in the engine.......done
6) Tune up on the engine............................................ . done
7) Reconnect steering wheel linkage........................... done
8) Install trolling motor board mount......................... done
9) Install 43 lb thrust trolling motor.......................... done
10) Remove flasher unit depth finder........................ done
11) Install new Echo depth color depth finder............ done
12) Check floor foam installation............................... done
13) **Rewire fore and aft lighting systems................... done
14) Install on board chargers...................................... done
15) Install starting battery......................................... done
16) Install trolling motor battery................................. done
17) Wire batteries to on board chargers....................... done
18) Install three rod holders....................................... done
19) Replace ropes on the fore and aft anchorpuller........ done
20) Apply "Shipahoy 41" decal on the motor................. done
21) Put on steering wheel cover................................. done
22) Purchase a tarp for the boat...................................

Total cost of marina done items to make this boat safe and fishable $1300.00 (Included $450 parts and $750 labor) Most of the labor was in rebuilding the back transom, rewiring the boat and installing the trolling motor mount and motor) Uncle Sam got the rest!

Here we go folks.

All Covered Up..............

Legally Registered

Legacy Officially Named

Captain's area of the boat

Chargers

Motor

shipahoy41
10-26-2012, 06:27 PM
The motion lotion containers

The boat towing package "Redman"

"Old Ship"

olduckhunter
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM
ship you look good in the legacy. you did the boat proud.

shipahoy41
10-26-2012, 06:51 PM
ship you look good in the legacy. you did the boat proud.

Thank you Wendell

"G"
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
The Legacy is a great looking boat my friend ....I am really happy for you.

"G"
10-26-2012, 06:55 PM
You are going fishing in the morning aren't you ?

thereheis
10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
:highfive:highfive:highfiveShip , That is a great looking boat. I've enjoyed following along with the project and can't wait for some "fish" pictures.

Congrat's

Thereheis

Jrsmith
10-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Looks GREAT Ship!!!

MeanV2
10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Looks Great! Now Slime it up Ship!

Dan

chucktx
10-26-2012, 10:21 PM
great, great job!!!!!

thudpucker
10-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Ship I just knew you'd have a classier looking boat than the rest of us!
Congrats on a good job.
Don't take that pretty thing fishing, you'll get it all nasty!

Xpress Fishing
10-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Looking good ship!!

skeetbum
10-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Looks good Ship. FISH PICTURES FISH PICTURES!!!!!

shipahoy41
10-27-2012, 05:39 AM
Ship I just knew you'd have a classier looking boat than the rest of us!
Congrats on a good job.
Don't take that pretty thing fishing, you'll get it all nasty!

Now that is funny! I think all of you have great looking boats. All the time I did not have one I was praying and checking out all the posts on this thread. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/195507-show-your-boats-off.html and this just happened to be the time for me to be blessed with another boat after twelve years without my own. I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to comment on this thread. We will be taking the boat out on Wednesday.

Blackhawk19
10-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Lookin forward to some slimed up pics of the boat and a stringer full of slabs

dandeman
10-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Good job Ship, way to go! The Legacy looks Great!!! It feels good to fish from a boat which you have done a part of rigging out. I know you'll have many hours of enjoyment in her. We want Pics!

Best wishes!
dan

Rees Guide
10-27-2012, 08:50 AM
I think we need a film crew from Crappie.com there for some on the water video and reporting. Ship I have never had the privilege of meeting you but after reading some of your threads and posts there is no doubt about your love of nature and the outdoors, your are blessed and I hope to one day share some time on the water with you.

MeanV2
10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Ditto for me Ship! :)

Dan

I think we need a film crew from Crappie.com there for some on the water video and reporting. Ship I have never had the privilege of meeting you but after reading some of your threads and posts there is no doubt about your love of nature and the outdoors, your are blessed and I hope to one day share some time on the water with you.

feeshrman
10-27-2012, 10:00 AM
looks great, you put a lot of work into that rig. now slime it up!

shipahoy41
10-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Bless you my friend. I am nobody important, just a Dadblabbitanddadgummitall old coot who loves to Crappie fish and share what little I know with someone else. Forty years ago when I was twenty I wanted to be like Al Linder.or to be the BBD of my era. (Black Bill Dance) . No one ever offered me a television show so I became a school principal. Now I have been retired twelve years and just chill out and enjoy life. I did fish with Ed Moes once. That is my claim to fame. Al Linder has emailed me a few times. Down through the years though, I am just a nobody trying to tell everybody about somebody who can save anybody. John 3:16

Jrsmith
10-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Ship, I love your very last sentence I hope you dont mind that I use that sometime. "I am a nobody trying to tell everybody about a somebody who can save anybody". I know when I teach some youth or talk to others I say that "there is a bum emptying a bottle under a bridge right now somewhere that is going to preach a greater word to somebody some day than theyve ever heard before in their life" Ive only been on this site about a month but you are a GREAT man Ship, a man of God and an inspiration to many!!

"G"
10-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Bless you my friend. I am nobody important, just a Dadblabbitanddadgummitall old coot who loves to Crappie fish and share what little I know with someone else. Forty years ago when I was twenty I wanted to be like Al Linder.or to be the BBD of my era. (Black Bill Dance) . No one ever offered me a television show so I became a school principal. Now I have been retired twelve years and just chill out and enjoy life. I did fish with Ed Moes once. That is my claim to fame. Al Linder has emailed me a few times. Down through the years though, I am just a nobody trying to tell everybody about somebody who can save anybody. John 3:16

Well.........you are somebody and your important.....dadgummit, your our friend and thats worth a lot. I do like your last sentence.....thats great!

Slab Junkie
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
You got it looking good Ship! Now get out there and be "one" with nature and catch a few crappie, sounds like you deserve it.

bwomack_29
10-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Hey ship I'm curious. What are the black lights used for???

shipahoy41
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Hey ship I'm curious. What are the black lights used for???

Sometimes at night I want to see my tackle box to get gear without alerting fish to my presence. Welcome from Alabama.

thudpucker
10-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Ship, you see in your photo, down where the shirt says: "Pro Staff"?
That's where you could pin on a couple of LED lights. Always pointing down at what your trying to see eh?:crazy:

shipahoy41
10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Ship, you see in your photo, down where the shirt says: "Pro Staff"?
That's where you could pin on a couple of LED lights. Always pointing down at what your trying to see eh?:crazy:

Good idea my friend.

dandeman
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM

That's the best post I've seen today! Keep on keepin' on.

crappiewishing
10-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Ship great job on the boat restore. i have been keeping up with your posts and really enjoyed reading each one of them. I agree with everyone on your comment and I thing it is the best one I EVER read. God bless in everything you attempt to do.

OutdoorWilly
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Great looking boat

Splitshot82
10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Wow. Nicely done sir. Your "Legacy" will be more than just your boat. Your helpful hints and the knowledge that you pass along to younger generations make us all proud to see you in a nice rig. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you personally, but your posts speak volumes about the way you handle yourself and think of others. The crappie are probably the only group that are not too thrilled about this turn of events. Nowhere to hide now. :)

shipahoy41
10-31-2012, 05:49 AM
Wow. Nicely done sir. Your "Legacy" will be more than just your boat. Your helpful hints and the knowledge that you pass along to younger generations make us all proud to see you in a nice rig. Haven't had the pleasure of meeting you personally, but your posts speak volumes about the way you handle yourself and think of others. The crappie are probably the only group that are not too thrilled about this turn of events. Nowhere to hide now. :)

Thank you my friend. The Crappies are having a staff meeting today showing hooks and plastic baits. One of the crappies said "Shipahoy 41 is pretty good with those." Seriously though, it is the young generation like you who will pass on these traditions of crappie fishing to the next generation. Keep up the good work.

"G"
10-31-2012, 07:39 PM
OK Ship.....How was the maiden voyage?

catdaddy75
10-31-2012, 08:14 PM
wow...nice boat ship...and pickup....

RetiredRR
10-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Yup, I heard something about a delegation of crappie meeting to warn the young (undersized) crappie to be on the watchout for a new crappie rig on the
water. Must have heard of ShipAhoy41, reckon it's true. Very well complimented rig you have there. Proud for you and of you too. It ain't time for the
fisherman to give up.

shipahoy41
11-01-2012, 06:59 AM
OK Ship.....How was the maiden voyage?

Most of this week was devoted to the wife recovering from a hospital procedure. I am scheduled to take the Legacy out tomorrow to Walker Lake. It is gassed up, charged up, and cleaned up. I have been diagnosed with a severe case of fishingpox which is deadly to the fish. Fishingpox is highly contageous and addictive. Symptoms are wanting to get out of bed at 4am, kiss the wife goodbye, and dragging a boat to the lake in anticipation. Drinking coffee is a must to calm a person's nerves because it will appear the truck is not moving fast enough and that mysteriously the highway department has added over 100 stop lights along your planned route. Take a cup of patience too because someone will be at the boat ramp still storiing things on the boat instead of launching it. Finally you back the Legacy into he water and you hear the Crappies cry out..."Mama here's that man again! And he has a boat this time." Lordeebygollywooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow anddadblabitallgumballs what are we to do now!" Run! Run! He has a fishing pole in his hands with a soft plastic stinger on it. Do you hear me junior? Junior? Where are you Junior? How many times have I told you not to play by the bridges! Junior? Junior? where are you?

Won't be long now. Folks. The depth finder found junior. LOL

"G"
11-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Ok bud....good luck to ya

MeanV2
11-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Ship, I Love reading your posts! Always brightens my day :)

Dan

Most of this week was devoted to the wife recovering from a hospital procedure. I am scheduled to take the Legacy out tomorrow to Walker Lake. It is gassed up, charged up, and cleaned up. I have been diagnosed with a severe case of fishingpox which is deadly to the fish. Fishingpox is highly contageous and addictive. Symptoms are wanting to get out of bed at 4am, kiss the wife goodbye, and dragging a boat to the lake in anticipation. Drinking coffee is a must to calm a person's nerves because it will appear the truck is not moving fast enough and that mysteriously the highway department has added over 100 stop lights along your planned route. Take a cup of patience too because someone will be at the boat ramp still storiing things on the boat instead of launching it. Finally you back the Legacy into he water and you hear the Crappies cry out..."Mama here's that man again! And he has a boat this time." Lordeebygollywooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow anddadblabitallgumballs what are we to do now!" Run! Run! He has a fishing pole in his hands with a soft plastic stinger on it. Do you hear me junior? Junior? Where are you Junior? How many times have I told you not to play by the bridges! Junior? Junior? where are you?

Won't be long now. Folks. The depth finder found junior. LOL

RetiredRR
11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
:Rofl:highfive:fish:HandsClapping

yankee doodler
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Ship ya done a great job on the ole girl. Ya gonna have many a memories from her I'm sure. Nice job. Don't forget to bless her w/ a prayer before ya launch her.

"G"
11-02-2012, 11:04 AM
OK Ship......awaiting your report.......you should have a limit by now.

Jrsmith
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
x2

big minnow
11-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Ahhhh you looking good Ship......you ain't going to know how to act now........lol :biggrin

shipahoy41
11-03-2012, 07:20 AM
OK Ship......awaiting your report.......you should have a limit by now.

Well dadblabbitallandbygolllyweesheeskalambooskala "G" you will not believe the story of the first launch of the "Legacy" Crosby Sled Boat. Anyway for all the followers of this thread here is that report. All week lone, the only day I had available to go fishing was on Friday. I kept waiting and waiting for Worldwide Marine to issue and confirm my boat insurance. They were doing a wonderful job in getting it for me. The problem was that my boat is a 1970 manufacture and no serial number was needed for Alabama boat registration. In addition to that, when the marina had to replace the transon with metal plates to support the motor no hull identification number was there! I provided Worldwide marine with my bill of sale, alabama registration number,motor serial number and all other information they had. They searched all marine data bases and finally, finally, finally found a hull ID number for my boat. I have Crosby Sled Boat Hull Identification number AL0980XW0000. They confirmed the policy Friday at 11:00 am and we were ready to go fishing.

I took Rev. Tim Jennings with me on this maiden voyage. Our goal since it was so late and we had to be back at 4:00 was to go to the closest body of water (Walker County Public Lake) which was 48 miles away. We fiigured one hour to get there with traffic etc, one and a half hours to familiarize ourself with the boat and fish, one one hour to get back home so we could change and take our wives to the evening service. Sounds like a plan...right???

We got to the Lake, prpepped the boat for launch, put the drain plug in the boat and prepared to launch.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/launch-1.jpg

We checked out the boat steering, motor etc on the water and then settled back for about an hours worth of fishing. We used wax worms, minnows and stingers with YUM or SLAB attractant on them. This is me just chilling on the water and thanking God for being at peace with nature once again in my own boat. The feeling is undescribable unless you have been there in my shoes.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/onthewater.jpg

You will not believe the number of bass in that lake. Lake records showed no crappie caught in the last two weeks there. Of course I was thinking "I'm Shipahoy41 and that is gonna change because I am on the water."...........WRONG!!!! Nothing but Bass and tiny Bluegill bit all day. Bass were tearing up the stinger and minnow big profile bait. But Hey, at least it was "Slime in the boat."

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd100/shipahoy41/somebass.jpg

When we went to put the boat back on the trailer, the engine kept shifting to full throttle even though we were not touching it. We had our cell phones on us and we were able to call the marina who did the repairs and they talked me through what I had to do since the kill switch apparently was not working. We ot the engine shut off, waited about five minutes and started the motor up and retrieved the boat safely.

Next week we will take the boat out again to a different body of water. Crappies bewre...Shipahoy41 is coming for you at Logan Martin Lake. LOL

"G"
11-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Good report Ship.....sounds like you had a great time enjoying your boat the first time out. Looking forward to seeing lots of reports from you now.

olduckhunter
11-03-2012, 10:59 AM
great report ship. and hey, don't knock those bass. they are very good eating filleted and are a lot of fun to catch. if that's the closest place to fish and the lake is full of bass? i'd be in heaven if it were me. get you a few bass plugs a cheap 1.00 spinner bait or two at walmart and catch what's biting? that's what fishing is all about anyway. you may even become a bass fishermen now that you have a "bass boat." and they fight harder than a crappie too.

shipahoy41
11-03-2012, 01:35 PM
great report ship. and hey, don't knock those bass. they are very good eating filleted and are a lot of fun to catch. if that's the closest place to fish and the lake is full of bass? i'd be in heaven if it were me. get you a few bass plugs a cheap 1.00 spinner bait or two at walmart and catch what's biting? that's what fishing is all about anyway. you may even become a bass fishermen now that you have a "bass boat." and they fight harder than a crappie too.

Sorry Wendell, I am a Crappie fishing guy and proud of it. Having said that there is nothing wrong with anything tugging at the end of the line as long as it is a Crappie.

Jrsmith
11-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Love it Ship, great looking place!! congrats on the fish, any fish is better than no fish

mduncan62
11-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Congrats Ship! The smile says it all.

skeetbum
11-03-2012, 05:47 PM
ATTABOY Ship!!!! Glad the first was productive, and you're back to the trailer under your own power. Looking forward to the Logan Martin trip report.

shipahoy41
11-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.

anchorpuller
11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Sweeeeeeet!! I just love the smile on that face of yours. THAT is worth every bit of work/money/worry that you have in your fine rig. I like those crappies too, but have found if the bass are around, the crappie won't be. Please catch a few in memory of me. I'm out for a bit. This time not complaining at all. I'm blessed to have a bit more time with my Mom as she continues to fight against that awful "C". I will be staying with her near the hospital as she gets radiation treatments for the next few weeks.

Please don't go alone until you get all the little quirks worked out on your boat. It's awful cold water out there this time of year. <hugs>

shipahoy41
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Sweeeeeeet!! I just love the smile on that face of yours. THAT is worth every bit of work/money/worry that you have in your fine rig. I like those crappies too, but have found if the bass are around, the crappie won't be. Please catch a few in memory of me. I'm out for a bit. This time not complaining at all. I'm blessed to have a bit more time with my Mom as she continues to fight against that awful "C". I will be staying with her near the hospital as she gets radiation treatments for the next few weeks.

Please don't go alone until you get all the little quirks worked out on your boat. It's awful cold water out there this time of year. <hugs>

I believe you are a very special person my friend. Your mother raised a fine daughter. God knows your load limit and will never put more on you than you can bear. Remember if He brings you to it, then He will bring you through it. Be empowered by your faith. I will keep you, and your mother, in my prayers.

Crappie Reaper
11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
What in the world were the 110 volt outlets for?,

I've installed 110 outlets on every boat I've had for the last 30 years. I don't run 110 through them though, I wire them to the battery and use them for the aluminum shroud clamp lights with a 12v rough service bulb in them. By using a regular house hold outlet, I don't have to use battery clamps or aligator style clips for the lights. I can still use the light around the house by simply changing the bulb back to a regular light bulb.

bluebonnet2
11-04-2012, 09:18 AM
good morning,

congrats on a fine job and such a deal....god bless.......read every page../..

PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

shipahoy41
11-04-2012, 08:04 PM
good morning,

congrats on a fine job and such a deal....god bless.......read every page../..

PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2

Thank you and welcome from Alabama. Be blessed.

waterboy1
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Glad to see you finally hit the water, will look forward to more posts.

shipahoy41
02-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Something like this

I finally found a spotlight at the flea market I could piddle with Pappy. I figured if I screwed it up I would only be out a few bucks. I cut the end off the cigarette lighter end as well as the end off an old extension cord. Some twisting of the wires together along with some wire nuts solved the problem. Could not figure how to mount the waterproof cover so i wrapped the connection with electric tape and plugged it in. Viola' there was light. Thank you for the idea.

I was going to put a power pole on the boat but found out they are only good for 6 to 8 feet and cost about $2,000.00 which is way too rich for me. Front and back anchors will have to do unless someone else has a better idea.I did install a marine compass next to the depth finder.

"G"
02-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Get a fish finder with gps and you wont need a compass....it will show you direction as well as your speed. Also you can mark your spots and go back to them.

KDAVID1
02-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Get a fish finder with gps and you wont need a compass....it will show you direction as well as your speed. Also you can mark your spots and go back to them.

amen--this has been the best thing I have ever done to help me catch fish. A very wise man told me "all you need is nav card and waypoints the rest is easy"

shipahoy41
07-30-2013, 05:56 PM
People,

I got to looking at the thread "These Crosby boats are great" over in the Mississippi forum and realized it has been a year now since I restored my Crosby Sled boat. That boat has brought me many great memories and smiles this year and is a really sweet ride.

MeanV2
07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Hey Ship! I was just wondering the other day if you had the Crosby covered in slime! Sounds like that is a positive! I for one would Love for you to share some stories and pictures!

Dan

People,

I got to looking at the thread "These Crosby boats are great" over in the Mississippi forum and realized it has been a year now since I restored my Crosby Sled boat. That boat has brought me many great memories and smiles this year and is a really sweet ride.

shipahoy41
07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Hey Ship! I was just wondering the other day if you had the Crosby covered in slime! Sounds like that is a positive! I for one would Love for you to share some stories and pictures!

Dan

I will write up something soon buddy. It rides great and fishes better.

BoarBuster
07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Enjoy.
SeaRay
PS
SeaRay

I once saw a guy put 110 outlets on his boat. They were wired 12v and the reason for this was that he clipped all of the 12v clips from his fishing lights and repalced them with 110 style plugs them all he had to do was grab the light and plug it in. Got a good connection and didn't have to fiddle with the clips.

FISH ON:fish