Today was definitely one of the most productive days for bass fishing. Despite the fact that i was crappie fishing. I caught my crappie out at Walnut Creek this morning, against my belief that the crappie from yesterday would move when the wind died down over night. They didn't move, but they were much more difficult to catch. Water was like glass, but you could see the action below. Lots of crappie, swimming around in a frenzy it seemed once the sun hit the water. Catching them on the other hand was difficult. Before the sun hit the water they seemed to bite on the minnows but only during a slow retrieve and they didn't grab it and take off, they seemed to inhale it and lazily swim with it in their mouths, only till they started to break the surface did they fight back. After the sun came out, they wanted to minnow to sit still and they wouldn't take it right away, they seemed to wait a few minutes before finally taking it, but they no longer lazily swam with it, they actually fought back as soon as they took it. Once the wind blew a decent breeze to take the glass off the water, the bite dropped to nil. A few folks were still catching some crappie and bluegill on hot dog pieces.

Later on in the afternoon i shot over to Offutt Base Lake to try the crappie out there. I don't think i choose a very good time as the sun was virtually making it impossible to find an area on the water that was covered in shade. That seemed to be the best place for crappie to bite. I hit up 4 different locations, the first two didn't allow much shade but had very deep pits within casting range. I could see some medium size bass chasing after bluegills and sunfish but nothing would bite on the minnows or tubes. By this time it was reaching 3pm and the sun was in the perfect spot to start putting some shade on the south side of the lake. That is where i caught the majority of the bass and crappie today with the wind out of the northeast at 5mph it blew right at the shore. I wish i caught more crappie, but for every 5 bass i caught, i caught 1 crappie. I ended up catching somewhere around 25 bass and 4 crappie. Crappie were huge slabs, two 11", one 12", and one 13". Along side the 4 i got from Walnut Creek, three 9", one 11".

While I would rate the quantity of the bass an A+, the quality of them was a D+. Out of the 20 something bass i caught, one was over the 15" requirement, barely. Most of the bass i caught were fingerlings, ranging from 3 - 7". Most of the them had pretty big bellies, so i guess they have been eating good, and still wanting more.