Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me put a rod w/ this reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default help me put a rod w/ this reel

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=22130

I bought the shimanto magnum from this fellow. I should have it in this week.

Does anyone know where I should start to decide what kind of rod to look for?

I am going to need something cheap. Anyone see a problem w/ a used rod?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb no problem .....

with a used rod .... as long as you can check it out, beforehand, for any stress cracks, or nicks in the blank, or loose reel seats, or any other potential weak spots or problems.

What, exactly, are we looking to use this baitcaster reel for ?? "How" you intend to fish with it, and what you intend to fish for, will give you a more defined idea of what rod you might want to pair it up with. ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default good points

well,

i'd prob be using it mainly for fishing for bass with my heavier baits.

sorry for using the "b" word on this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy a used rod like crappiepappy said check it out. There are a lot of less expenisive rods out there you just have to check around. Try these web site and see if there is something you like. Some have long rods (9'-12') other have short rods (4'6"-7'). www.troutlet.com, www.basspro.com, and www.monkscrappie.com. Hope this helps you out.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Now we're gettin' there ....

Quote Originally Posted by ouachitafisher
    well,

i'd prob be using it mainly for fishing for bass with my heavier baits.

sorry for using the "b" word on this forum.
    If you're going to use it:
    --- for plastics ... I'd suggest a 6.5-7ft med/hvy rod (med length trigger handle)
    --- for crankbaits ... 6-7ft med (long trigger handle)
    --- for spinnerbaits ... 5.5-6ft med to med/hvy (with a pistol grip handle)

If you're going to use it as a "utility" rod (a little of everything), I'd suggest at least a 6.5ft med action rod.
    Some people would suggest using a fiberglass rod for crankbaits, as opposed to a graphite rod. I've used graphite rods ever since they came on the market, and I use crankbaits as much as anything else for Bass, if not more ...IMHO - just don't get a action above med, and you'll be fine. If you're using a med/hvy rod with crankbaits -- just loosen the drag star a touch, and don't put your thumb on the line spool when you set the hook. If using the "other" types of Bass baits - Do set the drag a bit tight, and DO put your thumb on the line spool, when you set the hook.

I'm not going to spout any brand names, in particular ... just do a little research and price comparison shopping, and you should find quite a selection to choose from. If you have a local tackle store, that takes used rods in on consignment, check them out. Take the reel with you, so you can seat it on the rod & test the weight & balance & feel. ......... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you loacted? If your around Oklahoma, I know I have at least one rod I could give ya.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

hey man. i am in little rock. i have family in mena, ar. right on the ok border.

lots of great information everyone...feel free to keep commenting..i have a note pad out and writing it all down!

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like a smaller baitcaster reel. What size line are you planning on using on this reel would be the first consideration before you put it on a rod. Rods are by line weight and action. It doesn't look like it would handle 25 lb line on a heavy action rod. I would go to a 5ft 6inch medium heavy action rod with pistol grip handle and use it for spinner baits with 12-14 lb line.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Check the bargain bucket at WalMart. They usually have some decent rods for $10 this time of year. It'll be a trashcan right next to the counter in the sporting goods section.
    www.varsitymrtg.com the #1 source for Fisherman's home financing.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey EB ....

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    It looks like a smaller baitcaster reel. What size line are you planning on using on this reel would be the first consideration before you put it on a rod. Rods are by line weight and action. It doesn't look like it would handle 25 lb line on a heavy action rod. I would go to a 5ft 6inch medium heavy action rod with pistol grip handle and use it for spinner baits with 12-14 lb line.
    I have a Shimano Bantam Mag10Xsg ... use it on a 7ft Kunan graphite "flipping" rod, w/20lb mono ... for "worm fishing" (texas rigged plastics) for Bass -- it performs very well.
    These reels were some of the "top of the line" baitcast reels of the 80's ... and the "tear drop" shape was part of their draw - it was the forerunner of the "low profile" styling. I'm pretty sure it would/could handle either of our suggestions, on line size & rod length/action. Don't let the small profile fool you ... this reel was designed "smaller in stature", so that it could be "palmed" comfortably, thus allowing you to grasp the reel/rod together in one hand ... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast