Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used to be a snap

Post Thanks / Like

Default used to be a snap

My depth finder is easily removed by just releasing the snap that holds it securly in place. I also don't like the idea of electronics taking a beating on the ride home. I noticed the side imaging finders don't have this feature. Do you think it is best to remove electronics or is it ok to leave them permanently installed?
    Thanks for any help.

Herb
    NightProwler Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been one to remove the HU from the boat on any of my FF I have or have had. Never had any problems with them not working or had any problems with loose connections, etc. Maybe I've been lucky, dunno. I store my boat in a unheated garage so being exposed to the weather 24/7 is not a problem, I would guess that is where most problems develope over time. All the roads I use to get to the ramps I use are public roads, and are in good shape, no major potholes, are paved, etc., so the trip to and from the water is no worse than when the boat is getting beat on going to a fishing hole. My boat only has a 60 so I'm not going over 30mph but the ride can get rough on occassion. I guess I believe that removing the connections on a regular basis causes more wear and tear being removed and installed each trip than leaving them on the mounts and electrical connections hooked up. I currently have a HDS 8 with SS at the console installed for about 6 months, and a HB 788 ci HD on the TM. I do lay the HB down to avoid it catching a rock or road debris but it still attached to the mount. The HDS I try and turn sideways so its not acting like a windsail and decrease the area a rock has to aim at as well. Those hard plastic covers that come with these models are $%^& hard to remove, so I leave 'em at home.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

For 5 years I kept my Lowrance onboard. Never took it off until I put the boat under wraps for the winter each year. I did turn the screen to face rear-ward, but that's about it. No problems...no worries.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this so I have left both my HDS units hooked up this summer. I do store boat in a garage and drive mostly paved roads.
    Since I am new at this I have wondered about fishing in the rain and how sensitive the Lowrance HDS units are to getting wet? Anyone have an answer I'd appreciate it.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I have no 1st hand experience on getting a HDS wet, but a neighbor who is a big green carp chaser told me that lots of his green carp buddies keep large freezer bags over their electronics most of the time. He has 2 HDS 5's on his with SS, but I haven't notice him having any freezer bags on his FF's. I've gotten other Low ff's wet, and had no ill effects over time. It may be a hit or miss thing, luckily I've missed on this one.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just talked to Lowrance's Tech support and they told me the units are waterproof and rain on them won't hurt. He also said a wave coming over the boat won't hurt.

Seems kind of scary to me, but that is straight from the Horse's mouth, so to speak.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

I never remove either of mine because of having trouble with the plug in connectors!

Post Thanks / Like

I take them off after evey trip but part of that is because I have to keep my boat outside with a boat cover over it. Too expensive to risk someone trying to steal it. I do believe plugging and unplugging can make it difficult on the connectors over time.

I also have a square pad I attach to my RAM mount to lay my Hummimgbird down when fishing. This helps take the vibration out while running down the lake. When the lake get rough, I've seen my Humminbird start to lean. Not sense taking chances.

Post Thanks / Like

ever seen the back of one after running through a swarm of lovebugs?????? i remove mine.....

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I never remove mine and lay them face down when transporting. I have ruined one by parking it outside when we were building this house. Left finder on console and covered boat, hot summer stayed covered for couple of months. When finally got a chance to fish uncovered boat started checking everything and finder would come on but just had a dark blue screen. Talked to Lowrance and found out it was caused by excessive heat. They did a study and temps under a cover in hot summer can reach excess of those of the inside of a closed up car with sun shining through windows. The extended temps it was under is what ruined the screen. Also I wouldn't go with the plastic bag deal because of the sweat factor. They are water proof but no sense in taking that chance of keeping them constantly in a humid environment.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast