Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark Twain

Hoping to hit Mark Twain on Sunday. I haven't done much fall crappie fishing but want to start doing more of it. Can anybody tell me what kind of water might produce for me this time of year? I'm hoping to put in at either 107 or hwy U. We'll be in a 20 foot camo xpress with a 115 merc optimax. If you see us feel free to stop and say hi.

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing u good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Start on the creek channels and work your way in.......they probably haven't moved in shallow consistently just yet, but I'd say the next couple of weeks should start getting better.

Sounds like you are going to run up into the North Fork? Not a bad idea, but I think Twain is sitting at 601', which is 5 ft. under normal pool and those arms get plain nasty.....take your time.

Catch a couple for me and report back, I'm focused on feathers through January!

U

Post Thanks / Like

I have found twain to be a real SOB in the fall sometimes. my best days were on secondary points near the channel of a creek arm, and in the little cuts along bluffs. but take RT U's advise about taking your time in the arms, not too many areas up-lake where you can run on plane safely right now, unless ya really know the area. good luck, and let us know how ya do!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. I just looked at the long range weather forcast. Serious cold front pushing in this weekend. Gonna go on Wednesday instead. Anyone know what time the bait shop at the junction opens? I need some tubes. How about chigger hill? I may put in at Stoutsville instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the Junction, but South Fork Resort isn't but a 5 minute run from Route U and their fall hours are Sunday thru Thursday- 7:00 am till 5:00 pm
    Friday and Saturday- 7:00 am till 7:00 pm.

I'm sure Ron and/or Odie have been fishin so they should be able to point you in the right direction.

U

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Twain for a Thursday-Sun period in mid September at South Fork Resort and didn't see Odie there at all. I wondered if he was still around the area or if he migrated back to Indiana for the winter. It seems early for him to leave before the good fall fishing kicks in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route U View Post
    Not sure about the Junction, but South Fork Resort isn't but a 5 minute run from Route U and their fall hours are Sunday thru Thursday- 7:00 am till 5:00 pm
    Friday and Saturday- 7:00 am till 7:00 pm.

I'm sure Ron and/or Odie have been fishin so they should be able to point you in the right direction.

U

Planning on stopping at South Fork Resort. Just wondered about the other ones as it never hurts to get info from more than one source. I do have to say though that I do like the folks over there at South Fork. They are very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the area. They where a good source of bait and a great spot to tell stories during a couple of thunderstorms on our spring trip this year. I like their website too. I check it every week for a new blog and pics, even if I'm not coming up.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, fishing was good. Catching on the other hand was lousy. The only fish we caught were so deep that when we got them in the boat they died from the bends.We fished south fork, middle fork, north fork, the main lake and some creeks down to pigeons roost. Coves, notches in the bluffs, transition zones, underwater humps, bridge piers, and anything else we could find. The best bites came in the cedar trees but we had to fish so deep we couldn't get any fish out of them. We tried minnows, hair jigs, soft plastics, and crankbaits. Dipping, casting, and trolling. The biggest catch we had all day was the pontoon we towed in that we happened across on the main lake whose occupants had run out of gas. Always happy to help in that situation but when we got her reeled in at the ramp we cut her loose from our boat. I hear those aluminum toons don't taste that good when filleted and deep fried. Cold weather coming this weekend to turn them off even worse. If you go good luck. I'd plan on a lot of boat riding and scenery enjoying as I don't think the fish are gonna cooperate for any but the most experienced anglers.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to hear the fishin wasnt better. with this front coming through, Im suprised they weren't biting. I talked to a gouple guys the other day who can usually get on some fish, and their story was similar to yours. wtg for towing the disabled boat in, the fish gods will appreciate that!