Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Weedguard for jigheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedguard for jigheads

My name is Rich and I live in Maryland. I fish mainly for rock and we fish for them all year. In the winter, we fish a nuclear power plant. We need 1 1/2 to 2 ozs to get to the bottom. Needless to say, we lose alot of jigheads. I pour my own so its not to bad, but I have a question for you guys that pour jigheads with weedguards. Does anyone on your board, pour 2 oz jigheads with a weedguard or can this even be done. I was thinking that this weedguards might help with not getting hung up as often. I have never used weedguards before and not sure about how it will work with rock. How much difference is the hook set when using a weedgurad. Any information that you guys have experienced would be greatly appreciated. If anyone pours these, please contact me. Thanks, Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I know Do It Corp. sells big Y guards for molds but don't know if they make them Y guards big enough for a 2 oz. jighead. The big Y guards are pretty stiff for the lighter ones I've see (like 1 oz.) I would recommend you call them and if they don't have it ask if their blank molds could be used to have someone work it up for you but only if you can make the Y guards for the 1 oz. work.

If Do It isn't selling them, try this site again and just ask where you can get bigger Y guards. There's another company that makes them but I can't remember their name. (want to say it starts with a "B" but not sure) If I an find it, I will get back with you.

I would think that rockfish hit hard and these should work for you. If you find it, get back with me and I'll give you a tip or two that has worked for me when using Y guards. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coach23 View Post
    I have never used weedguards before and not sure about how it will work with rock.
    Rich, I don't think the weed guards would help if your hanging up in rocks, if it was brush, yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    Rich, I don't think the weed guards would help if your hanging up in rocks, if it was brush, yes.
    We call Striped Bass rockfish in Maryland. There are rocks on the bottom, but mainly it is old fishing line.

Post Thanks / Like

On that size jig it is very easy to do it your self, I just drill a small 1/32 hole into the lead head, then insert a piece of 50 pound mono fishing line up and over the point of the hook & use some 5 minute epoxy to hold it in place. I do this all of the time on 1/8 ounce jig heads and have never had a problem.
    Last edited by zrdc28; 09-30-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: add on

Post Thanks / Like

zrdc28. Thanks for the great tip. I never thought about doing it that way. I am going to try that. I was hoping that someone on this board would have an answer to my question. Thanks again and good luck fishing. Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from AR

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coach23 View Post
    We call Striped Bass rockfish in Maryland. There are rocks on the bottom, but mainly it is old fishing line.
    OOOPs.

I modify all of my molds to use a weed guard, of course these are small crappie jigs. You could do the same thing for larger jugs and use the big fiber guard that are used in bass jigs. The down side is that you will always have to pour with weed guards. If it were me I'd buy some fiber guards then drill some jigs to try, if they work then modify the mold.

Post Thanks / Like

You could also mod your mold and use Sevestrand Leader making wire instead of mono, and yes you can bake jigs with powder paint without covering them.

Lure Craft makes the y guards now as they had a mold made for them, but I'm not sure if they make one that big. You could also drill in and use a brush guard type but you'd have to powder paint first, cure them then epoxy the guard in.