Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i register a new fishing grub?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do i register a new fishing grub?

Hi, I am currently testing a new type of grub. My friends use it and like it alot, they suggest my to "sell" the idea to cabelas or basspro. So how does one go about doing that?
    I fish at Hillsdale lake and now la cygne

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not know. I sent both companies several fishing product ideas only to see they can change one tiny detail and market it as their own. Case in point was "The Poor Man's Fishing Bucket," I protected the drawings through the library of congress too. Both it and the Carterlee worm incubator ideas were stolen and two years later I saw them in stores. My advice is to contact a patent attorney before you submit any ideas. Patents and licensing can be quite pricey.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I knew it. forget about it then.
    I fish at Hillsdale lake and now la cygne

Post Thanks / Like

Do two things before you tell a soul about anything new. 1. Get a trademark and list ALL fishing lures made by you and all names of fishing lures made by you; 2. Get an internet copyright on the lure's name and then go back and amend the trademark to include this lure specifically by name and have a very specific technical drawing of said lure copyrighted and registered under the trademark. Then find an attorney. Expect to pay out in five figures when all is said and done.

Basically it doesn't pay to go thru a patent process. By the time you would get a patent the bait will be copied and rehashed a hundred different ways. If you own the lure thru a trademark and copyright, you can sell the design and nobody can copy the design. Keep in mind that only 19% of any product has to be changed to get past even patent laws, so.....

Post Thanks / Like

It takes money to make money..........hard to get around it. Start your business in your garage, time, sweat and dedicated effort. About the only
    way left to get-r-done. If your best friend had a lure business, you might just stand a chance. Good luck to ya. Just cause it's hard don't mean it's
    impossible.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CTom View Post
    Do two things before you tell a soul about anything new. 1. Get a trademark and list ALL fishing lures made by you and all names of fishing lures made by you; 2. Get an internet copyright on the lure's name and then go back and amend the trademark to include this lure specifically by name and have a very specific technical drawing of said lure copyrighted and registered under the trademark. Then find an attorney. Expect to pay out in five figures when all is said and done.

Basically it doesn't pay to go thru a patent process. By the time you would get a patent the bait will be copied and rehashed a hundred different ways. If you own the lure thru a trademark and copyright, you can sell the design and nobody can copy the design. Keep in mind that only 19% of any product has to be changed to get past even patent laws, so.....
    This is some great advice CTom. I learned the hard way from experience that designs and ideas are easily stolen from you.

Post Thanks / Like

Doing these two things keeps everyone honest, in a sense. In now way is it a patent, however it is setting a time-line and if it ever gets to where, like you Ship, somebody decides to take what you have done and run with it you have solid evidence that will stand in any court that you were in the door with the idea first. That can be a huge issue.

To expand on this done in this way even more, you can claim a "poor man's patent" easily. Once evrything is registered with your trademark and copy rights have been set, you can write a letter to yourself basically only address it to your trademark name. In the letter simply make an "offer" to buy the bait from the trademark and along with a trasfer of the related copyrights for a dollar, being certain to include the dollar. Take it to the post office and mail it. When this letter arrives to your door, open it, copy it including the envelope front, the letter and the dollar three times.
    Write another letter, this time as the representative/owner of the trademark, agreeing to the sale and purchase price and showing the reciept of the dollar. Make all the transfers of the trademark from the trademark nemt to your own name not stating any business affiliation....you just bought a registered idea as a private individual. Once all of the transfers are complete you get three copies of each. You mail a copy of each transfer along with one of the copies of your initial letter and the letter agreeing to the sale that you wrote in response and simply address it from the trademark name to yourself. Take it to the post office and mail it. When this arrives, simply copy everything including the envelope and each sheet inside three times and it yours.

You want to be certain to have adequate copies so I suggest three of everything every time a letter is opened and/or sent. Each letter should be saved along with copies of everything inside it. In the end you'll want to have all of the original items done, in calandar order from beginning to end, saved in a safe or in a bank safety deposit box. Keep exact copies of whats in the bak in at least two places at home where they can stay safe.

Doing this takes some time but is pretty cost effective. And again if someone really wants to rob you and they have the money they will. Getting all of these little "speed bumps" established just makes the process much harder and if you go thru with this process and someone challenges you, you do not want to give them this poorman's patent until it is a last resort. Often times they'll let go of something if at every turn in the road they find another potentially legal hang-up.

All just suggestions....good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome advice my friend. You helped a lot of people today.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that has lots of patents. The problem is not the cost the patent lawyers or patent office. It is the 6 figure sum you need to defend your patent, even if it is being infringed upon!
    Speaking from experience on this one.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a copyright on the name and a Trademark on the name as well as the design. Patents are really not that much good and they expire after a number of years etc.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast