Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do Passing Fronts Affect The Bite

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Do Passing Fronts Affect The Bite

Today (Thurs) is the day before the front gets here. The front is suppose to pass on Fri and Sat. Sunday should be the first day after the front passes.

I know there are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, which day would be the best fishing day this weekend? I am thinking today and Sunday would be best, with Fri and Sat the worst.

Also, will a passing front totally shut down the bite, or just slow it down?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

ID

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It can depend on what type of front and Barometer change sometimes. Major cold fronts leaving us with blue bird skies are good times to stay home for 3 days unless your a real good fisherman. It can be tough and have seen them settle just off the bottom and almost bump them on the nose as they don't chase baits far.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

My experience is that Sunday would be the worst, but sometimes they keep hitting without a hitch. I was fishing a few years ago packing in at least a mess everyday when a front rolled through on a Thursday night. Friday was slow, Saturday morning was slow but a little better, and Saturday evening and Sunday were back to normal.
    Likes Lloakley930 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Should have went to day, but tomorrow will be better that sat. And I wouldn't even think about it sun. Also this full moon has a lot to do with it too. I like fishing on the day of the full moon when the weather is right too. I have found that the 3 or 4 days after" the day of the full moon" , the fish bite better in the afternoons. Also the 3rd day before the full moon is real good , too. Heck, if you can go, just go, dont worry about the weather or moon.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with Nimrod. I don't think temp. change has anything to do with a cold front shutting down the bite.
    It's all about the high pressure, bluebird skies and if you throw in some wind it gets really bad. It also makes my back hurt!!!

Post Thanks / Like

They are going to eat and if this is a cold front may stock up and eat heavier before the front arrives. Think of it this way, how does your body react to fronts? You still eat right?

With Crappie, they eat bait fish, where are the bait fish going when the front moves in, thats where the Crappie go. I don't think anyday is better or worse then the next, they go where the food goes. One day they may be in one location, and the next they have moved.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

great answers all!

go tight n light and you can usually catch enough to let you know your on them, but they are off. those days are great for mowing the grass. i feel sent helps on these days. a tiny chunk of fresh cut shad makes a world of difference sometimes. it is still fishing though so anything the fish want goes.

Post Thanks / Like

they should be called crazies instead of crappie!I have been trying to put together a reliable pattern on crappie for a loong time..before the front?after the front? during the front?low barometer?high barometer?spawn? prespawn?water color,lure color?And I find that theyre un-predictable! For instance....tore 'em up friday,high winds,driving rain,temp dropping.Next day same thing except very little rain,temp dropping didnt catch but 7.Next day even slower!!! go figure....The only thing that I find reliable about crappie is they bite good in the fall to late fall and in spring if you can find them! Btw I am an appointed non-accredited bioligist on a private club lake that for long stretches I am the only one on lake,saying I know i'm on crappie but they just dont act right!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I learn something every time out, even if I don't catch fish. When that happens, I learned what didn't work. Next time I try something different.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    Should have went to day, but tomorrow will be better that sat. And I wouldn't even think about it sun. Also this full moon has a lot to do with it too. I like fishing on the day of the full moon when the weather is right too. I have found that the 3 or 4 days after" the day of the full moon" , the fish bite better in the afternoons. Also the 3rd day before the full moon is real good , too. Heck, if you can go, just go, dont worry about the weather or moon.
    You are a wise man my friend. This is probably something gospel in the book of crappie fishing.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast