Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need Advice On Painting Red Eyes Over Black?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice On Painting Red Eyes Over Black?

I am custom painting some 1/8 oz. jig heads for a friend who specifically specified black head, red eyes with black pupils. I powder coated the heads, cured at 350 for 25 min., but when I dot the red vinyl eye paint on it's hardly visible against the black. I have tried one with Flame Red and it looks better but as you know Flame Red dries an orange color.

Any suggestions what to try? I painted a few with white eyes and thought about curing them tomorrow then go back over the white with Red. A lot of trouble probably. Also, how long do I need to cure the CS Vinyl paints that I paint the eyes with on the already cured jig heads?

Thanks
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

You might try white,flame red almost to the edge of the white and then black. The CSI paint is not recommended for curing.
    Last edited by ifish; 09-27-2012 at 01:50 AM.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a three step process with the vinyl. White,, red on top of that, then the pupil. Ifish is right about the vinyl. It only needs to air dry.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of excellent responses, in addition the vinyl paint without the white base pulls some of the darker characteristics out of the black. Another color is pink on yellow chart, you'll get a beautiful orange. The white base is key for many combo's
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

To get a good red over black you must put on a thick layer of red paint. I use two part epoxy with little or no thinner to make red eyes on black jigheads. The thick paint will make the red eye stand out from the head more but it's necessary to retain the red color.

Two part epoxy doesn't react with plastics and bonds well with powder painted heads. No sealer is needed.

Charlie