Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Frustration

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Frustration

I'll start by saying that I'm very much a novice crappie fisherman. I joined the site like most other people to learn more about catching crappie. With that, I've picked up some useful tips and techniques along the way and have actually caught a few more fish.

I figured with our hot weather we are now experiencing that I'd try fishing at night. So, I've read the posts and articles and formulated a game plan. My son and I headed out this past Thursday evening for our first attempt.

To start things off however, I got stuck working a bit later than I intended so we didn't leave the house till 7:30. No problem, that would put us on the lake by 8:30 or 8:45 right about the time it's getting dark. We make the drive to the lake and stop for minnows and ice. Much to our suprise the bait shop was closed. A young girl cleaning up inside tells me they close at 8:00. I ask her if there would be any way possible that we could just get a few dozen minnows and a couple bags of ice. Again she tells me Sorry, we closed at 8:00. My son and I then went on a quest looking for minnows and two bags of Ice because at this point I'm going fishing! Would you believe that not one store near the lake was open! We ended up having to drive 20 miles to the nearest town to a Jr. Foods Store (like a 7/11) that believe it or not sold live bait. (first one I've ever seen that did that) I was a bit discouraged at this point, but I'm a very determined person and my son was still eager to catch a fish. We finally hit the lake around 10:00. I wish I could end my story by saying we loaded the boat....but only one crappie to show for our efforts and two green carp! Now I see why so many people hang up the crappie rods after the spring. I'm not going to give up on trying to catch these things. I guess I just need to do more homework or improve the areas that I'm trying to fish.

I appreciate you all letting me use this post to vent a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the night fishing threads.

Don't give up on them little suckers ... they eat everyday!

Post Thanks / Like

if youre going fishing just to reel in a fish youe missing out on the real fun however catching a few aint bad
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

Setting up a cheap minnow tank so you can keep some bait around helps fight the goofy bait shop hours. We started keeping our leftover minnows and buying more to have on hand for when WE want to fish.

A plastic cooler, small aquarium filter and a good sized aerator is all you need. You can get the aquarium supplies at WalMart. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

First off keep on trying you will get them figured out and learn what works for you,secondly i would never darken the door of that first place you stopped at if they dont have any more time than that then they would be way too busy for my business.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Brad, give me a shout buddy.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Don't ever give up on crappie. here in south Carolina I catch crappie year round. If you put enough time in you can find the fish at any time because they have to eat to survive. The bite is slower in hot weather so you won't catch as many but I usually bring home 25-30 keepers. In the fall through spring my buddy and I will limit out almost every time and sometimes catch between 100 and 200 but a lot of them are dinks. We have found that in the hotter months we catch more good fish than we do dinks.

So never give up. Just keep those lines wet and enjoy your time on the water.

MAY YOUR BOBBERS SUBMERGE AND YOUR LINES BE TIGHT!!
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys for the words of encouragement I guarantee you wouldn't find anyone on a green carp site sympathizing with a person who is having difficulty catching fish. This is what separates Crappie fishermen from everyone else. I'm not about to give it up. I love it too much. I'm thinking about trying a few things differently. Maybe trying to concentrate on disecting one creek of the lake in and out rather than wondering aimlessly around the entire lake. I know catching isn't the most important part. Trust me, fishing to me is like therapy whether I'm catching or not.....but it's much funner when you catch them and I eat better. lol! I just got a book on seasonal structure for Crappies. So I'm trying to do everything I can to up my odds.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep on keepin on

I went fishing thursday too, the bait shop nornally closes at 10pm on the weekends but it closed ealier on weekdays 9pm. They just looked at me and said were closed. I decided to go get some chicken livers from the piggly wiggly and do some cattin. Because I did not have any minnows I was forced to use jigs. Orange/Chart had both crappie and the white bass going. I also used a salt and pepper panfish assassin. Caught a 2lber of that.

You know some times we are put in positions where we have to just work it out. I was happy cause I came home with about 15lbs of fish all off jigs from night fishing. I was out there for 13hrs by the way.

I just started chasin crappie last year and I tell ya. The more time you put in the more ya learn and the more ya catch. Pay attention and watch for some type of pattern. It all comes with time. Practice now cause september's just around the corner.

But back to bait shop. I have spent enough money these past few months with them they could have let me in.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    thanks guys for the words of encouragement I guarantee you wouldn't find anyone on a green carp site sympathizing with a person who is having difficulty catching fish. This is what separates Crappie fishermen from everyone else. I'm not about to give it up.

Your probably right. On a bass fishing site someone might have told you to suck it up and quit being a crybaby or quit fishing all together. Most minnow sucking perch fishermen do quit right after spring because the fishing is a bit too tough for them. Boo whoo!

Fishermen are fishermen and arrogance can be as simple as someone saying something bad about "green carp" fishermen.
    If you really want to up your odds get out there and fish instead of trying to learn by the internet and books. The fish you seek can and will be your greatest teachers.
    Here little fishy. Come bite my hook. :p
    Let Em' Land!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast