PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Full Of Eggs Now?

skiptomylu
09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Talked to a friend in South Louisiana this afternoon and he caught some crappie a few days ago around a rig type structure in 7' of water and said they were full of eggs. Not just a little bit, but full and looked ready to lay them.

So anyone else catching any with eggs? He said bulging with eggs and wouldn't have kept them if he had know it was eggs and not just stuffed full from gorging!

Also talked to another guy Friday and Saturday several times and during one of our talks he said...would you believe I am catching crappie in 2 foot of water right now?

Skip

Tracker123
09-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Are they starting to move shallow at Toledo Bend?

Kman
09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
crappie in south lousiana start spawning (depending on temps) mid January to late january, february being best for bigguns, then another spawn in march, and final few in April. Certainly are NOT doing it NOW! They start buidling up with egg sacks in the fall but wont be ready to lay for months.

2fow is relative...to whatever else is around him and the overall depth of the body of water. They aint spawnin, i can tell you that.

Blackhawk19
09-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I know sometimes they spawn twice a year but they only have small egg sacks here that will fill up for spring.

skiptomylu
09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Are they starting to move shallow at Toledo Bend?

Well I was hoping to find out today, but have been waiting of Directv guys that are finally here now. So maybe tomorrow morning I will find out. If they are I will tell all tomorrow.

Also need to call one of my customers here today as he haas some jigs ready so maybe he can add some info for me to share. Will see!

Skip

NIMROD
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
I've heard tales of more than one spawn a year but here it's only in spring. They maybe spread out some years in unstable weather and water levels over several weeks.

STUMP HUNTER
09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
Skip, been catching crappie all summer in 6' or less. Been an odd year for crappie being shallow around here.

crappielimits
09-26-2012, 05:43 PM
crappie in south lousiana start spawning (depending on temps) mid January to late january, february being best for bigguns, then another spawn in march, and final few in April. Certainly are NOT doing it NOW! They start buidling up with egg sacks in the fall but wont be ready to lay for months.

2fow is relative...to whatever else is around him and the overall depth of the body of water. They aint spawnin, i can tell you that.

I totally agree! The fish go shallow in summer and fall chasing shad. They will gorge on dying shad when the first front hits and then progressively move deeper as the thermocline drops. Eggs begin to form in the Fall and are not ready to be laid until they have red veins in surrounding them.

6poundtest
09-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Skip, I was just reading about the twice a year spawn in some southern lakes at "In Fisherman" in an article titled "Crappie Science". Below is a cut and paste of a key paragraph:

"The 2- and 3-inch crappies they collected in December had hatched between the first and fourth week of October. No good explanation of this phenomenon has been forthcoming, though rising water levels in fall were considered a possible trigger."

As a beginner, I have no view or experience to offer.

Locator79
09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Its very common to catch fish full of eggs this time of year all the way to spring.

skiptomylu
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Interesting post on this topic. I have caught a good many in fall, but it's been a while since we had the drought and my boat was stranded for 1 1/2 years, but I don't remember ever catching them full of eggs at this time. However the best crappie fishing I ever had was back some years, in the fall here on T-Bend and really don't remember about the egg thing.

Really interesting part of the article from In Fishermen!

Thanks for the info all! I still need to talk to him again about color as i didn't get to talk to him today!

CrappiePappy
09-26-2012, 10:21 PM
A picture or explanation of the "condition" of the egg sacs would likely tell the tale. The fish could be "plum full" of eggs, but if they're still yellow, the sac is still firm, and each individual egg is still very small, then they're far from ready to drop.

In 99.9% of cases, only one spawn per year will occur for Crappie ... and many times, as mentioned, it's a prolonged or interrupted spawn period that is mistaken for a dual spawn. As with the Crappie, themselves, the eggs are slow growing in the cooler water temps of Winter. For a true 2x/yr spawn to take place, the eggs would have to develop to maturity within a few months ... and the water temps & conditions would have to be within range & stable almost year around.

... cp :kewl

crappielimits
09-27-2012, 11:59 AM
A picture or explanation of the "condition" of the egg sacs would likely tell the tale. The fish could be "plum full" of eggs, but if they're still yellow, the sac is still firm, and each individual egg is still very small, then they're far from ready to drop.

In 99.9% of cases, only one spawn per year will occur for Crappie ... and many times, as mentioned, it's a prolonged or interrupted spawn period that is mistaken for a dual spawn. As with the Crappie, themselves, the eggs are slow growing in the cooler water temps of Winter. For a true 2x/yr spawn to take place, the eggs would have to develop to maturity within a few months ... and the water temps & conditions would have to be within range & stable almost year around.

... cp :kewl

I totally agree CP! As for the In-Fisherman who are ussually right on, I disagree! First of all crappie can have multiple spawns in the same year on any given lake, but this is not the same fish. Different groups will spawn at different times as water temps can vary and egg maturity can be different for each fish. Male crappie will go in and false spawn during the winter warm fronts, but I have never saw a fall spawn around here. The spawn in southern Florida lakes starts around late November and you can follow it all the way to the Northern lakes in May. Ours at Talquin can start as early as January and not be widespread until March or April. This is not common at as many lakes, but the weather is often still bringing cold fronts through the spring. This keeps water temps from being sustainable. Usuallyspring fed creeks are pretty consistent from year to year as they maintain the same temp range year round. Our crappie have a very fast growth rate, but would not be 3 inches in less than 2 months.