Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How long do flies last you?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long do flies last you?

I'm not a fly fisherman, but I was just browsing the fly fishing section of the Bass Pro website out of curiosity. As I was observing the different flies, I began to wonder just how durable they are. How many fish do you catch before a fly is no good anymore?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Brim Reaper View Post
    I'm not a fly fisherman, but I was just browsing the fly fishing section of the Bass Pro website out of curiosity. As I was observing the different flies, I began to wonder just how durable they are. How many fish do you catch before a fly is no good anymore?
    I've never counted "fish per fly", but it depends. Some flies, like bead head nymphs, are very tough and will last through a lot of fish. Others, like delicate dry flies, won't last quite as long.

It also depends on the fish. Toothy species can be really hard on flies.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to lose beadheads before they get tore up, thats why I tie my own.

Post Thanks / Like

All my bream fishing is with a jitter bee. A bead head type jig, I can catch between 75 to 100 bream on one jitter bee, It is still good to fish with. I also make my own popping bug. They are not as durable as the jitter bee but you can do real well with them. This is a hobby for me. I make all my own baits for fly fishing. I enjoy the fact that I fool a fish and I take my time in making it. It is just plain fun. I also learned every thing from this forum. I am very sorry, but welcome to the forum. Hope you will be able to answer questions later on....Ken
    Likes zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
    All my bream fishing is with a jitter bee. A bead head type jig, I can catch between 75 to 100 bream on one jitter bee, It is still good to fish with. I also make my own popping bug. They are not as durable as the jitter bee but you can do real well with them. This is a hobby for me. I make all my own baits for fly fishing. I enjoy the fact that I fool a fish and I take my time in making it. It is just plain fun. I also learned every thing from this forum. I am very sorry, but welcome to the forum. Hope you will be able to answer questions later on....Ken
    Thank you, Scoot. That's a lot of fish to catch on just one fly. I wish I could catch that many on a single nightcrawler. XD

Post Thanks / Like

I catch that many because it is a private pond that is owned by my brother-in-law. He told me to catch as many as I can, it is over populated. That is also where I test the indurance of the flies and baits I make. That is why I catch that many on a single jitterbee.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the tyer. Some stay together and some don't. What I do after receiving flies is go over the thread with head cement. Also some fish are hard on flies, Bluegills are one, Crappies OK. N/Pike always bite them off. Bass so-so. A flyfisherman never stops buying flies. I proably have easily 300-400. The expensive flies are the more tech/type used for salmon and steelhead or pike fishing and saltwater types, they can cost from 3-7 dollars a piece. These flies last longer than panfish flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Alot depends on what kind of fish that I am fishing for. Fishing for trout that don't last as long as fishing for panfish. Trout are toothy fish. It also depends on the aggresiveness of the fish. It also depends on the guy tying the flies. Had a fishing buddy years ago and his hare's ear nymphs would only last for about a half dozen fish.
    He was a much better fisherman than tier.

Post Thanks / Like

When buying flies online I've found that the better quality flies generally are the more expensive flies and last alot longer than cheaper flies.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653