Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing with underwater lights

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing with underwater lights

Hey Guys
    My wife and I tried it Sat night with no luck. Could anyone point me to some good articles or threads to help me with my luck. Depth, color and where to start with.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Did you read Rango's article on here, it covers pretty well everything you need to know http://www.crappie.com/rango/index.htm ...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline
    Hey Guys
    My wife and I tried it Sat night with no luck. Could anyone point me to some good articles or threads to help me with my luck. Depth, color and where to start with.
    Tim
    Other than Rango's article which is great....just find a creek bend where the creek is 25'-35' (about) and fish about 10'-20' deep. Start at one depth and change until you get bit. Hopefully you are in an area that has bait fish. Put out you lights and wait for a wile before they start probably.

Use you depth finder to see about how deep the fish are and fish at or above their depth.

Next thing...use minnows at night!

Hope this helps,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned this earlier, Our lakes don't run much more than 20 feet, some 30 but most average 15 - 18. F.E. I already have a very bright light with 2 colors of covers. But thanks for the link.
    Tim
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

The submersible underwater lights in my opinion don't work that well, it seems that everytime we have tried using them we don't seem to catch many fish. The lakes I have night fished for crappie aren't very deep either, about the same depths as you quoted. Maybe the underwater lights would work better in deep lakes, but I think in the shallower lakes the light goes all the way to bottom and spreads out, most fish don't like super bright million candle power lights. I think the duller lights work much better and bring in the fish.

Your best bet is to just use a cheap coleman lantern, rig it up so its over the side of the boat, it will light the area up plenty to draw in the plankton, minnows, and ultimately the crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bttmline
    Hey Guys
    Tim
    If you would pay the postage I have two covers i made years ago for some coleman gas lanterns. They are square, about (if my memory is still there) 14" at the bottom and taper up to about 6" square at the top. They are 1/8" aluminum, the top has holes drilled in to help the heat escape and is also slotted to allow the lantern handle to pass through. They are long enough to hide the globe when you have them hung out over the side so you don't get blinded. It is easy to light them, lower the covers down over the bail and hang them on your supports, plus they reflect more light down ito the water. It only takes a minute or so for them to cool when you get done since the cutoff valve of your lantern is still accessable. Any one that may want them I'll be glad to donate to. Just let me know and I'll send them. I will be checking at the P.O. to find out approx. shipping cost.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link to Rango's article. Great reading, even printed it out to keep on hand and share with my other club member's.
    Tim
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, I would like to take you up on your offer about the light covers.
    Will email you.
    Thanks
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Could you post a picture of them?
    Sounds like they should work great. And not that hard to build.
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Palmer
    If you would pay the postage I have two covers i made years ago for some coleman gas lanterns. They are square, about (if my memory is still there) 14" at the bottom and taper up to about 6" square at the top. They are 1/8" aluminum, the top has holes drilled in to help the heat escape and is also slotted to allow the lantern handle to pass through. They are long enough to hide the globe when you have them hung out over the side so you don't get blinded. It is easy to light them, lower the covers down over the bail and hang them on your supports, plus they reflect more light down ito the water. It only takes a minute or so for them to cool when you get done since the cutoff valve of your lantern is still accessable. Any one that may want them I'll be glad to donate to. Just let me know and I'll send them. I will be checking at the P.O. to find out approx. shipping cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast