Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you fish a spinner bait with a spinning rig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you fish a spinner bait with a spinning rig?

I cannot cast with a baitcaster. I have read many articles and made many adjustments but no luck. I have decided to let my baitcasters collect dust.

Can I properly fish a spinner bait with a spinning rig? I dont see a retreival ratio on my spinning reels like I do on my baitcasters.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Jawmaw - I'm sure someone here can give you the tedious physics behinds different baits, reel gear ratios, line weights etc. Short answer...I've never been able to master a baitcasting reel. But I've fished spinning baits with spinning reels and spin-cast reels for years. All sizes. Have caught a lot of fish with both. Obviously you don't want to fish a 3/8 oz. spinning bait with a micro-lite spinning reel using 2lb. line. Just experiement a little and you'll figure it out quickly.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a smaller spinner bait on a spinning reel and catch alot of variaties of fish. Not sure of the name but its half the size I use with my bait cast. I dont use the bait cast much, every 15 cast or so it backlashes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JAWMAW. I know how you feel. When I decided to start bass fishing I went on a quest to learn how to use a baitcaster. It took me a long time but I finally got the hang of it. If anyone says they have mastered a baitcaster they are not telling the truth. You will never master one you will only get better.

Now as for your question I have found that you can use any bait with a spinning reel that you can use with a baitcaster. I know many people that bass fish and only use spinning gear. The way I look at it is just use what you are comfortable with. You will catch just as many fish with spinning gear as you would with any other type.

MAY YOUR BOBBERS SUBMERGE AND YOUR LINES BE TIGHT!!
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i cant use a bait caster much and have 4 of them . there is a bass tunament fisherman that uses a zebco 808 or a prostaff . that is equivelent to the 808 . can1t remember his name . e did a lot of skipping baits under docks . i use one to as i don`t like birdnest.have a bait caster that has a anti backlash on it . it works pretty good .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Jawman, I know how you feel about the frustrations learning to cast. I can't begin to tell you how much time I wasted picking backlashes instead of fishing. Some lures just arn't easily cast with one. As far as using spinning, thats all I used in my early years. The thing that got me on casting reels was the lighter weight as compaired to a equal sized spinner. Plus less line problems. (twisting) These days I use both with equal sucess. Just match your lure weight to the rod and reel and you'll be fine

BB

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used spinnerbaits for crappie, but they work fine on bass-size spinning gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up on using a bait caster reel, it is a fine reel after you get the hang of it. As far as using a spinner bait on spinning tackle you should use a small spinnerbait with a snap swivel tied to the line. You wil also need a pretty stiff rod.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of spinning reel are you using? If it's not on the reel, you may be able to find it in a Bass Pro or Cabela catalog. The bearing and gear info is just about always listed.
    Just for reference, my Mitchell 300X and our Mitchell Avocet ULs are all 5.1:1. My Wally Marshall UL is 5.2:1.
    I throw bass size spinner baits with the 300X and small ones (like a Beetle Spin) with the ULs. Have at it. - Roberta
    Last edited by Roberta; 06-18-2006 at 04:29 PM.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. It is nice to know I am not alone in my misery. I use mostly a Shimano Stradic 2500 reel.

What ratio should I be looking for to fish small spinner baits (3/8 oz.)

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast