Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Can a hot dry summer, lead to a difficult fall bite?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can a hot dry summer, lead to a difficult fall bite?

As a kid, many years ago, i heard that in the late summer and fall, fish are gorging themselves to get ready for the winter slumber. So its safe to say, fall bites can be pretty active given the right weather conditions.

But i learned this past summer that a hot summer that heats the water temps warmer than normal can cause a species metabolism to be high and they feed more during a hot summer.

So my question is, can a hot summer cause fish to layoff the aggressive gorging during the fall? Not saying they won't eat, but they probably won't be inclined to eat as much since they have been eating so actively during the hot weather.

Does my theory make sense, or am i wrong in thinking fish might back off feeding during these cooler weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it will. They eat more actively in the hot weather but the hot weather also keeps there metabolism high burning up what they are eating. I don't know for sure, this is just my thought.

This is a good question and I am interested to hear from someone with more knowledge about this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

X2

(c.j.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

We have had the hottest and driest summer in S.W. WISC. for many many years. This has put the Mississippi River on a long term below normal water level for the past 2 months. The crappies have moved from shore line wood to main channel drop offs in 11 to 14ft.. Which is deep for these fish,most times we have a good current that keeps them shallow. But with that being said I would say, I think the fall feed will be the same because all fish are driven by INSTINCT. These fish have to eat like crazy now because in a very short time they will have ice over there heads for 4 months.We all have been in on the fall feeding frenzy when the fish look so full they could bust at the seams and they still are eating are lures. Hope everyone has a good fall bite !!!!! Steve

Post Thanks / Like

I think this years conditions have set the stage for a slaughter. Lower water levels concentrates the fish, concentrated fish become more aggressive in competing for food, which also means their food supplies will dwindle faster. In years past, conditions like these have turned schools of crappie into shoals of crappie. They may not be where they usually are, but they aren't far off either. River and creek fishing will see these benefits the most. Another thing, lower water conditions also tend to be clearer water conditions which might alter presentations, just don't get stuck in a box, change up till every fish is begging next to boat for more. Single file lines, please.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

x2 We should have a great fall bite. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Been record heat here but still looking forward to the fall bite.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Record heat drought, but fish are already slamming my tubes!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking the fish will strap on the feed bag as usual for fall, but the fishing might not be so good for me if we don't get some really good rain. I hit my local fishing hole a couple weeks back and was curious why I was the only one there. Turned out that the lake is so low that the channel from the launch to the lake is just 3 inches deep. Since I have an alum jonboat with hardly anything in it, I don't draft much water. Standing in the middle of the boat so it rode level, I managed to "pole" my way through the mud out into the lake. Normal summer leve is about 2' deep down the channel. Can't take advantage of the fall bite if you can't get on the water