Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on selecting a outfit please help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help on selecting a outfit please help

Just spent the weekend crappie fishing... I'm hooked. I've benn looking around BNMs look good.... I want one rod for just slip bobbers. One for jigging/ trolling. I'm 14 but I fish a few times every week. Also what would some good reels be??? Thanks

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!! Most guys your age are chasing bass, we are glad you are interested in our sport. B&M makes quality rods for a moderate price. The reels you get depend on what you are doing, for jigging just get something light that holds line, B&M's west point crappie reel is great for this and there are a couple others on the market that work very well. As for as your trolling reels get something that holds more line and has a smooth drag system. It doesn't matter if you get a baitcaster type or a spinning type, it's your preferance. I personally use 14' B&M prostaff trolling pole paired with Mitchell Avocets spinning reels. hope this helps. If you ever get a chance to get down to MS and try some of our slabs you will sure nuff be hooked!
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

Bass fishing is easy, when I go casting .... I go after muskies... Thanks that should help but what model for slip bober

Post Thanks / Like

I do very little slip bobber fishing, but i would think something about 7'-8' in length with a good backbone and a soft tip, paired with a smooth spincast. I am sure someone else with more experience than i in this method will chime in soon.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Post Thanks / Like

whatever you buy, remember its the fisherman not the rod. in other words you dont need a hundred dollar rod to catch fish. garage sales are a great place to pick up rods n reels. that being said a 7ft medium light is good for all kinds of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much help on slip bobbers but for jigging a PST is very hard to beat. plenty of backbone and I like the tip as well, some think it isnt soft enuff. Welcome to c.c, it is good to see a young fellar getting in on the search for an awesome species of fish. Ever get down to Sippi get on the MS board and let us know your coming, got some pretty fair white perch feshing down here. Welcome and good luck.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I use an 8' BnM BGJP for slip bobbers most of the time. I use a 10' BGJP for vertical jigging. Like Rees said the PSTs are good for trolling but I havent used them for anything other than that. As far as reels go, it depends on what you like. I like spinning reels but each person has their favorite kind. It also depends on how you are going to fish most of the time. Personally, I like Pflueger reels and you can find deals on Ebay from time to time. Good luck and welcome to CC.

Post Thanks / Like

CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Middle Tennessee. I use an 8' BGJP (Bucks Graphite Jig Pole) for a lot of my fishing lately, with an inexpensive 2000 series spinning reel. Mine are Diawa's that were $12 and do just fine. Slip float fishing will lead to deep fixed float fishing, I cast some that are over 8' deep. I can see the hits on the fall, and it takes a more trained eye to spot a hit on a falling slip float. I troll with everything from 6' up, same reels. Jig and Float is a big hit around here, try it sometime over the favorite brushpile. Tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat the Sam Heaton Super Sensitive poles in 11' to 12' range, for vertical jig'n. For slip bobber fish'n I would go with a 6 and a half to 7' light action rod with a fast tip. Since this is mostly a "visual" technique I wouldn't be as focused on sensitivity. Pair it with a good spinning reel that's in your price range. You can also long line troll with this rig.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast