Thread: Wappapello

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wappapello

What would be the ratio of white vs black crappie on Wappapello? Thanks

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The ratio of white to black crappie varries from year to year. This depends on how sucessfull the spawn is and how good survival is for a particular species. Some years the white crappie have really good year classes and other years the black crappie have very good year classes. However, if we look at the last 15 years of data, on average white crappie make up approxiamately 70% of our catch and black crappie make up around 30%. We are watching this closely now with the 9 inch regulation in place because we may see an increase in the abundance of black crappie. This is due to the fact that black crappie grow much slower in wappapello lake than the white crappie and rarely reach over 9 inches.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Thanks Dave and Welcome to the board!!!!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Folks, FYI, Dave is the Department of Conservation Biologist in charge of Wappapello Lake. Please welcome him. I know there are a bunch of us from Southeast Missouri who will greatly benefit from his knowledge and participation.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish the Wap but I'm always happy to welcome a newbie. Welcome aboard, Dave. Thanks for your input. Now for the important stuff...............why can't I catch fish?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board, Dave. I've never fished Wapp, but I'm happy to see people like you taking time out to answer questions. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am glad to be aboard! I thought I would let everyone know I was on the lake all of last week trap netting and thought I would share some preliminary findings. Our overall catch rates were down from last year, but I don't think it is because the crappie are not there. We had water temperatures around 63 degrees and not very stable weather conditions. We were battling high winds and fronts pushing through almost every other day. We trapnetted the upper end of the lake from about Sulphur Springs down to Chaonia the first two days and our catch rates were not great. This was probably due to extremely high visibility (5 ft) this year and we probably had a significant amount of net avoidance. Our catch rates on the lower end of the lake were better and picked up as the week went on. Most of the fish we caught were caught in 5-8 feet of water that was in close proximity to the old St. Francis River channel or other creek channels. The Lost Creek area close to the main lake were some of our better nets. The fish were also not feeding with most of their stomachs being empty, which may have been due to the unstable weather conditions. We also saw very few anglers, which is never a good sign they are bitting. My helper and I gave angling a try after work one night and ended up with one 10 inch crappie. Although our numbers were down the quality size fish were still there. We caught a good number of 10-13 inch crappie. The largest was 14.1 inches. I would also like to mention there is also a good year class of 8-8.9 inch white crappie pushing through that should all be over the 9 inch limit next year. I wish I could say being a fisheries biologist makes me a better angler, but it doesn't. So as far as helping you catch fish I am limited with what help I can give.
    Happy Fishing,
    Dave Knuth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a few of the nice ones we caught this year!

Name:  Wap2012comp.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  51.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I sure haven't hurt the population this year.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff