Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youth limits?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Youth limits?

This has been discussed on here before and not sure we got a correct answer. If fishig with a youth young enough to not have a MO fishing permit can they keep their daily limit along with the adult fishing with them? Or is it just one limit combined by the two anglers? This was split when discussed before on here before. What if there is two youth in the boat? Does there need to be two adults with permits? I don't keep fish very often but when taking the kids there is times they like to keep their fish which usually still does not put us over one limit. But they like to put them in the live well. Hard to make them throw them back.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i live in Ga. don`t know that state regulation but i would think each youth could catch the limit . was down in Fla. at lake Talquin and a fishermen named his son one more limit. i would check the state regulations or ask a game warden .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

A youth can keep their limit in MO. Youth cannot use jugs or trotlines without having a permit. A youth can buy a permit and then use these methods. I usually defer to Agents for the permit questions, but will help out on teh easy ones until we get more of them on here responding.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I will have to clean fish more often I guess since I can't hardly get them to throw them back. Fun for them to catch them and want to clean so they can eat what they caught. They sure did not get that from me since I don't eat fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigging15 thank you for asking that question I've been wondering that my self and a thank you too MOfishmgr for answering that.
    Balzout Mounts

Post Thanks / Like

yeah thats vthe way it is in ks ican take my wife and 3 grandsons to pomona fish 1 day bring home 250 fish to clean 1 trip fills the freezer for a year

Post Thanks / Like

J, you are right, it is sure hard to make them chunk fish back. Our HOA lake is CR for all bass at this time, taking the niece and her buddy out trolling cranks will yield an easy catch every few minutes, but man they HATE throwing them back. I have them read the sign at the ramp before we go.

"We can keep everything other than bass, okay?"
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

As some of you have already pointed out – Yes, any person fifteen (15) years of age or younger may take fish, live bait, clams, mussels, turtles, and frogs, IN ACCORDANCE WITH FISHING REGULATIONS (chapter 6 of the wildlife code), without permit (except trout permits or daily tags in areas where prescribed) except that fish may only be taken by gig, bow, crossbow, snagging, snaring, grabbing, and by pole and line.

Therefore, any person 15 or younger may take their own daily limit given all other methods, seasons, etc. are followed. As always, ensure that all fish are kept separate and identifiable so that each persons' take may be readily determined during inspection.

Post Thanks / Like

"Therefore, any person 15 or younger may take their own daily limit given all other methods, seasons, etc. are followed. As always, ensure that all fish are kept separate and identifiable so that each persons' take may be readily determined during inspection."

That's about the way it is in Minnesota, too, as I understand it. That used to be only for residents, but now it also covers non-resident youths. The only real difference is that here we can party fish and help each other fill a total limit, which then must be distributed when the party breaks up so that no one person has more than an individual limit in possession. And here possession includes cleaned fish in the freezer.

I do not find it all that difficult to get youngsters who fish with me to release what they catch, not if one brings a camera along. I use such terms as recyling the resource, and protecting the breeding stock or put it back to grow up, or just let's not kill this one. The bigger problem tends to be when some other adult interferes. If everybody is on the same page, the kids understand, especially if they still have the bragging pictures to show momma or grandma or grandpa. The kids have a right to pride in their accomplishments, but that does not mean something has to be killed to make that happen.

I more or less do not approve of unlicensed youth keeping their own limits. That goes for unlimited children under family licenses, too. I also do not approve of very young fishermen who are not supervised by older relatives. I would place a minimum age for unsupervised fishing to about 8, definitely no younger.

Our resources up here are too fragile to allow that sort of unlimited harvest and fishing waters are simply too dangerous for the very young to be around by themselves. I see children dropped off by parents who then go about other business every once in a while. Other adults are then forced into watching out for them. To me that is irresponsible. If one has the kids one needs to take responsibility for them.
    Last edited by no1son; 09-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by no1son View Post
    The kids have a right to pride in their accomplishments, but that does not mean something has to be killed to make that happen.
    Might work with fishin but not too well teachin them to hunt.

I more or less do not approve of unlicensed youth keeping their own limits. Our resources up here are too fragile to allow that sort of unlimited harvest
    It's not unlimited the limit is the same as adults. I think it's nice Parents do not have to pay to get their kids into the outdoors! In MO we have half price hunting permits also.

and fishing waters are simply too dangerous for the very young to be around by themselves. I see children dropped off by parents
    Bad parents are bad parents, has nothing to do with fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast