Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osfl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Osfl

Took the kids from church fishing at Bennington yesterday, I thought 8 was the number, I thought. About twice that number with the siblings, but I had some great help from some parents, which I honestly needed. I had some PLEASANT surprises, the bull whipping of the fishing poles was minimum. At first, some of them were into long casting, but I'm just a little to seasoned for that, I was so scared of a kid getting hurt from slinging lines. So, I used some little pin on floats and a dinky split shot along with a #6 bait hook. I figured if I was going to get blind sided at least it wouldn't knock me out. It worked better than I thought, the first hour I mainly unsnagged them from various things. Learning to use the reel is so important, not dragging your line around finding every thing that will hold it up. Once we got this under control, I reminded them that half of my fishing I don't even cast, my son helped show them this technique. He started whacking every sunfish species right next to bank, gills, greenies, crappie, LMB, even ole whiskers came along. OK, these kids started swinging a rods length line next to the bank structure and things became very interesting, Jeff, I got one, me too, Jeff, I got one. I was very busy helping unhook fish and teaching them how to do it. That was probably THE fastest 2hrs in my life. Every kid caught numerous fish, every one of them. Their teacher was pretty jacked up to, she told me the last few years of this badge earning only produced a couple fish total. These kids had caught more fish than all of the others through the years combined, Thank Ya LORD. It was pretty to get them to load up and come home, BOY do I ever know that feeling. We were about 1/2 hour late returning to the church, but when they unloaded and began telling their parents their experiences. PRICELESS. I think I've found some new fishing buddies, I can't wait to take their parents now. I'm gonna try downloading the pics later, me and this camera thinga-ma-jig are 50/50 now and I don't want to loose the pics.

Ozark88 and others, the water was fine, no BG algae, just it's new everyday stained color since the lily pad removal.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

crappieslinger is offline Moderator Kansas Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That sounds like an awesome way to spend a few hours!! I am like you though with the kids doing the casting thing, when my son gets the urge everybody in the boat hits the deck!!I bought a few casting plugs for him to sling around in the back yard when he wants to practice.
    Great job taking the time to teach the kids!!
    Don't Move a Mussel!! Clean, Drain and Dry EVERY TIME, ON EVERY BODY OF WATER!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Doc!!! You ever need help with your camera and uploading pics. Give me a shout. I'll try and help you out.
    "My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am" -- unknown

Post Thanks / Like

You made some serious friends. Good job there

Post Thanks / Like

Great job Doc!!! Kids are the future of our sport!!! Many kudos to you sir!!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I haven't loaded up the pics yet, I did get them loaded into my computer, but I'll have my son help me from there. I just don't do the pic thing enough to remember everything, I can't feel the hits to know when to set the hook. I probably should have done it Sunday afternoon, but I went striper fishing over at Wilson after church

Post Thanks / Like

Good excuse, we can wait for photos of the wipers allso
    The Speed of a Rhino The Power of a Gazelle

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  SUNP0023.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  63.2 KBName:  SUNP0020.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  65.2 KBName:  SUNP0027.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  58.6 KBName:  SUNP0015 - Copy.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  50.4 KBName:  SUNP0012.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  67.3 KBName:  SUNP0015 - Copy.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  50.4 KBName:  SUNP0017.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  45.3 KBName:  SUNP0025.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  69.1 KBName:  SUNP0014 - Copy.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  79.2 KB

I think I'll stick with the fishing, this PC stuff takes some getting used to

Post Thanks / Like

The smiles on those kids faces definitley makes it all worth it!!! Great Karma is headed your way Doc!!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do."
    Izaak Walton, 1653

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I've got some time. I was way to busy in our 1st hour to even remember I had that "camera". So, that 1st pic, that glorious 1st one has my 2 biggest fears in it. It's at that point I knew Our group was being Blessed and I needed to take some pics. If you'll also notice All of the adults were enjoying it too, which allowed them to be photoed too. It seems like many of the parents who didn't participate are now filling my sign-up sheets and even more. I will give all, Thanks LORD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast