Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sprague Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sprague Lake

Anyone here fish Sprague this year or have any inclination to fish it?? I'll be there over the 4th for the whole week and should have an extra seat in the boat.

My last trip to Sprague was in 2002 and that's the trip that inspired me to buy a Lund 1800 Fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I havent fished it since 2003 ...... but I love catching the walleyes there on little crappie jigs! Good luck ...... and let us know how you do!
    To fish or not to fish ...... how can that even be a queston:D

Post Thanks / Like

I got some theories on why walleyes are hard to catch in Sprague and want to put those theories to the test. Supposedly the lake is chock full of walleye but most people don't catch many. I hit the "bite" one trip there years ago and I tried to find a lure the fish wouldn't bite on. I never found that lure. It was a walleye bite about every 5-10 minutes until it was too dark to fish. I didn't have a boat with lights on then, so had to quit "on account of darkness".

My theories are they are lots closer to shore than usually thought. Next one is that they are boat shy and planer boards would help a lot at Sprague. My third is that wind drifting a bobber and leech combo would work out. That goes along with the boat shy theory.

My eye is healing up and I should be able to go fishing in 1 1/2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

you got some good theories there let us know what works!
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

i went to sprague one time. it was last year and nothing was hitting and it was super windy. lets just say i didn't have a good experience. good luck though.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

a few years ago I was fiishing the Spokane Arm for eyes and nobody was having much luck but two guys I saw caught 5or 6 with planer boards. a few times they were upset when other boats came too close to their boards. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to handle these, but anything is possible. I've had luck drifting bobbers along the faces of the dunes on breezy days at PHR, but no eyes over19".

Post Thanks / Like

I also went there once, about two years ago durring sep. same story as CK14.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

My 1990 trip was one for memories. For 4 days I couldn't keep the walleyes off the hooks. Caught them on flatfish, hotshots, spinners, spinners with worms... anything I threw out.

Then, I read books on walleye fishing so I could catch more. It was never that easy after that. The only time I've ever been skunked fishing for walleye was the one time I went with a guide at Banks. That was a real bad year for everyone.

Anyone that's interested this year I have an open seat.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Bill Wormer]I got some theories on why walleyes are hard to catch in Sprague and want to put those theories to the test. QUOTE]

I wonder if the weather was too hot again.... or if my theories are half crocked. Weather was running 93-95 degrees each day. Surface temps were 79-82 degrees in the afternoons and bottom temp at 10' was 75 degrees. Algae bloom went down 5' in the water and covered most of the lake.

Now I have a new theory. When the temps get that hot the fish dog it as the oxygen content of the water declines.

My next trip to Sprague won't be over any 4th of July. I think next year the trip will move to Memorial Day.

The evening Margarita "bite" was a good one. I found the blender, ice and margarita mix every evening. Weather was nice, other than being hot during the day. New truck handled real good hauling the camper and boat. Dog didn't barf anything bad up in the camper, nor chew up anything she shouldn't.