Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: dumb question i know (about tyin fish up to yur boat)

Post Thanks / Like

Default dumb question i know (about tyin fish up to yur boat)

hey guys,

if i get a little boat, and i know this is a dumb newbie question. what kind of deal can you get to tie your fish up as you go? any recommendations?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When we used to fish from small jon boats we'd use the collapsible wire mesh fish baskets. We'd just hang 'em over the side and keep 'em tied somewhere to the boat.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you use the floating fish basket just make sure you pull it out of the water before you take off. I have done it a few times and lost several fish.
    Mike Perry

Post Thanks / Like

Floating baskets will kill fish in the heat. Use a wire mesh basket and hang it pretty deep. Put a ice chest in the boat with a minnow aerator and when you move from place to place transfer the fish. If you freeze some water in pop bottles you can put a bottle in the ice chest to keep the water cool for the fish.mohp.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We use to use one of those nylon mesh clothes bags. Works great unless you forget to bring it in when you move.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

How small a boat ya talkin about. If you have room for a cooler, just throw them on ice. In the heat of summer it's the best way to keep them, IMHO. I have a big livewell in my boat but seldom use it when it gets hot. The fish will taste better too...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    We use to use one of those nylon mesh clothes bags. Works great unless you forget to bring it in when you move.
    If you do forget to pull it up then it becomes a chum bag.:D

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by izzysfishin
    How small a boat ya talkin about. If you have room for a cooler, just throw them on ice. In the heat of summer it's the best way to keep them, IMHO. I have a big livewell in my boat but seldom use it when it gets hot. The fish will taste better too...izzy
    I agree with you ,use a cooler to hold your fish. Just be sure to carry plenty of ice. I freeze gallon jugs of water and they last quite well , but a little crushed ice with it works best. I have a large live well , but the heat this time of year is a killer. My boat being an Aluminum one the live well water heats up fast! Besides keeping fish in good eating shape , it's easier to dress a cold dead fish than a hot floppy one.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default keeping fish

10-4 I must agree with the other guys on throwing the fish on ice. When I go by myself and I'm sitting up front I usually put some lake water in a 5 gal. bucket and throw the fish in there until I get a few , but then I transfer them. Actually the size fish I catch i could probably put 'em in a bull duram bag and stick it in my shirt pocket.:D It is much easier to take care of your fish after icing them down. If you don't like a lot of fish smell in the cooler I usually keep the heavy bag the ice came in and slip them in that on top of the ice, it helps keep your Wild turkey 101 in better shape too.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor