Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new fly rod

Post Thanks / Like

Question new fly rod

went 'gill fishing the other day with a few buddies. i had an underspin and each of them had a fly rod and they blew me out of the water. so i am looking to buy a good, reliable, yet cheap rod (under $100), that's also good for a beginner

thanks for any help
    "AM I EVER GOING TO STOP FISHING? NOT UNTIL THE DAY I DIE!"

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go. Scroll down the page in the link below to the silvertip fly rod combo 8.5 foot 5wt. I like the 2-piece. The combo has everything but the flies and water :D. Total including shipping=$76.90.

http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html

Best of luck.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 06-16-2006 at 12:07 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Try E-Bay.

Post Thanks / Like

A really good one for you would be the cabela's stowaway. I don't know how to put a link on here so you're gonna have to find it yourself. Just go to cabelas.com and do a search. I've never owned one, but they have a medium-slow action that should be perfect for a new flyfisherman. Going with the combo that dixieangler suggested would be a much easier way to get started though. If you ever want to upgrade, a stowaway would be a good next step. I have to give you a fair warning, flyfishing is an addiction that can almost never be controlled!

Post Thanks / Like

Sientific Angler at Wal-mart. They have a combo that comes with rod, reel, backing, fly line and leader. It's right around $70.00. Great entry level fly rod.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Do a little research before you jump in. I have been think of doing the same thing for the same reason. What I am looking for is a rod that is 3-5 wt. A lighter action to play the fish. Years ago I made the jump in and bought a 7wt for trout fishing I can hardly feel the fish when it on. That's the size my friends use for bass.
    Ebay have several right now, one looks interesting, Cabela's 1 wt. $70.00

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sold on the lighter rods, so I'll vote for a 5wt, too. 5wt's have been the standard trout rod for years, and they work great for bream/crappie. A 5wt is still a light rod, and it'll be a lot more pleasant to cast the bigger flies/poppers.

Robert made a good suggestion with Dorber. You could also check out Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's combos, too.

I just checked: Bass Pro has some starter outfits on sale. I'd go with the Hobbs Creek:

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...&cmCat=3336959
    Last edited by deathb4disco; 06-19-2006 at 11:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned on a St Croix 5wt. I bought a new SA 6 wt. I tried several different brands and weights from 2 on up. I bought a new SA 9 wt.
    If I had to choose one rod that I was to fish everything with it would have to be the 9wt. I can cast the smallest flies and large flies with it. I can cast better in the wind with it. I can get really good distance with it. I always have my line in my left hand so I can feel fish without using the rod to feel them.

If I was starting out though, I would start with a 6wt.
    Let Em' Land!