Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mushrooms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mushrooms

I read the thread over on yalls off topic board and got to thinking about how long it had been since I went and picked me some shrooms, boy those were some fun times. My question is can you tell me what I'm looking for in a shroom to have a real good experience? Buddy of mine in college ate the wrong kind and his lips and ears swolled up and he couldn't pee for over a week. Are there any special places to find em? I remember we use to look Fer um on cow patties but I can't seem to member what they looked like. Thanks you in advance Mr Biologist

Post Thanks / Like

Mushroom hunting is not for the novice. My father-in-law was a professor at the University of Florida for 42 years and he specialized in mushrooms and fungi. He was often awakened in the night to identify a mushroom someone had eaten and ended up in the ER. There are a variety of edible mushrooms in MO but some have other mushrooms that look similar and can be poisonous. My best advice is to find a friend that hunts mushrooms and learn from them. Caution should be exercised when eating any mushroom. What's perfectly fine for me to eat may make you sick. People have different tolerances to different mushrooms. The best fall mushrooms are Chanterelles. We have an excellent book you can purchase that can help you get started. You can pick it up at most MDC offices or order online at: Books :: Books :: MISSOURI'S WILD MUSHROOMS. You can also get information from the Missouri Mycological Society's web page: Missouri Mycological Society - Site. In Missouri the most popular mushroom is the morel. They show up in the spring right around the time crappie go to the banks. In north Missouri this usually coincides with turkey season too. A great day outdoors in north Missouri in the spring involves a turkey hunt in the morning, followed my some morel hunting and then a trip to the lake to catch a limit of crappie. Good luck and be careful what you eat!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, mushrooms in cow pies are usually not a good idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOfishmgr View Post
    Also, mushrooms in cow pies are usually not a good idea!

Oh, I have such a come-back for this.......

Post Thanks / Like

Going with an experienced mushroom hunter is the best possible advice, and once you learn to identify morels properly it is almost impossible to go wrong, but do look at some reference materials with pictures. There are a few false morels that the pics will help you stay away from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Going with an experienced mushroom hunter is the best possible advice, and once you learn to identify morels properly it is almost impossible to go wrong, but do look at some reference materials with pictures. There are a few false morels that the pics will help you stay away from.
    What's a morel? I'm huntin shrooms bro!

Post Thanks / Like

seriously... you better know what you are eating or you could end up dead! Here's a link from the mdc website. you could always stop by
    your local MDC office and pick up a free brochure.
    Poisonous Mushrooms | Missouri Department of Conservation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    What's a morel? I'm huntin shrooms bro!

Here are a couple of pics.....and when people talk of huntin' "shrooms" in Missouri, 99% of them are talking about these. The ones in cow patties make you see stuff that aint there

Post Thanks / Like

The book he is talking about Missouri's wild Mushrooms is a really good book I highly recommend it, great pictures in it that help in identifying not only morels but other over looked good to eat mushrooms.
    Balzout Mounts