Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice to find crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice to find crappie.

Hey guys im Josh from Nashville, Tn. Im new to crappie fishing period. I did one guided tour and I been hooked every since. I was wondering if anybody could give me tips on finding crappie in my area.

Here is the scenario, its 82 degrees here and I usually fish around 630pm - 11pm, and where I fish is the Cumberland River (Cheatam Lake area), that has a inlet near a boat dock full of yachts. The water under the yachts are only 4 to 6-7ft deep, the water surrounding the area maxes out around 8ft deep. I usually fish the sorrounding water because of the rules at the yacht club has. Now, I have caught about 3 crappie there before, but I want to catch alot more. What should I do?

Scenario 2:
    The opening to the main river is about a mile down the creek, and it drops off to 12ft and goes all the way to 30ft deep in the middle of the river. Is this where I should be fishing for this time of year or should I be back in the shallows. If so, what presentations should I use! I have been looking for brush piles but havent found any and this could be due to the fact it is a river (not much current at night), or it could be because im new to using a fishfinder.

Please help!
    P.S. I would love to find a fishing buddy in my area, so if you live near me pm me.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappieday, i googled your yacht club ramp. If i had the right place, there is a bridge that crosses the river near there and an oval island just up river? I think thats your spot until it cools off some, then you can move up into the feeders. Get on the down river side of that island where there is a break in the current and fish the slack water. Crappie will ambush bait fish going by in the current. This is true for any structure that creates slack water. Also, try trolling the mouth of the cove where you are launching your boat and keep an eye on your depth finder. Look for any sudden changes in depth or bottom structure. Crappie relate to subtle differences that make an area different than the rest of the area. Drop-offs are important, especially if you can find cover on them: brush, logs etc. I hope this helps.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh by the way, welcome from Cabot, AR.

(C.J.)
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

from va
    CRAPPIE fishing is not a sport, its a way of life!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Manchester. Time, patience and brushpiles will get you as many as can be found this time of year. I have heard recent reports that say they have been caught in 10 to 16fow one day and suspended in 30fow the next. They're frustrating but that's what keeps us coming back. Middle Tennessee Crappie Club fishes Woods, Tims, and Normandy with good results. Come visit with us and join one of the tourneys and the learning curve shortens a bunch. Tight lines......Skeet.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Lake Nimrod in Arkansas, you did not say what fishing method you use. Can you place structure there in the water?
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Im using jigs and minnows under slip bobbers. I think we can place structure there.